It is currently January 23rd, 2018, 6:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 12:26 am 
Offline
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: July 1st, 2011, 8:41 am
Posts: 509
Location: Middlesbrough, Peoples' Republic of Teesside
She Who Must Be Obeyed. The wife/significant other.

Good Odin, even the toner is £145 a time!

_________________
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
UN in Congo 1960-1964 (Completed)
Normandie-Niemen Squadron, 1944-2017
South Vietnamese Air Force 1965-1975
Danish Air Force 1945 - Present


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 2:47 am 
Offline
Why is he so confused ?
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2011, 3:42 pm
Posts: 10142
Location: Living on a sandbar - Nags Head, NC.
Maverick231 wrote:
Sorry to be a dumb ass but what does SWMBO mean?


As punishment, you must binge watch, or better read, Rumpole at the Bailey.

_________________
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
All problems are soluble in stout.


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 3:56 am 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: March 8th, 2013, 10:21 pm
Posts: 2714
Location: South London
jRatz wrote:
Maverick231 wrote:
Sorry to be a dumb ass but what does SWMBO mean?


As punishment, you must binge watch, or better read, Rumpole at the Bailey.


LOL John! :lol: Ahhh, The great Leo McKern, legend.

Maverick mate, you are NOT dumb mate, but you might want to be aware of the Glossary section here:

viewforum.php?f=10

Where any unfamiliar terms can be looked up.

Hope this helps.

Zee28


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 11:13 am 
Offline
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 4:42 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Telford
She who MUST be obeyed.
First used by H. Ryder Haggard in his book"She".
Popularised by John Mortimer in his"Rumpole of the Bailey" series.

_________________
I wish, that I knew what was doing!


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 1:14 pm 
Offline
Looks like his avatar
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Posts: 6796
Location: W. Yorkshire
... and frankly, that acronym is getting a bit past its sell-by date

_________________
(2018 A:B 0:0 )(2017 A:B 7:3) (2016 A:B 18:6) (2015 A:B:C 20:0:9) (2014 A:B 15:5) (2013 A:B 30:6) (2012 A:B:C=33:18:1) (2011 A:B:C=46:11:6) (2010 A:B=33:19) (2009 A:B:C=26:10:1) (2008 A:B=11:9)
Better to fettle than to fill


Top
 Profile  WWW  
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 3:41 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 3rd, 2011, 8:27 am
Posts: 3350
Location: Farnborough, Hants
She Who Must be Obeyed - usually referring to a wife or partner.

From the H Ryder Haggard novel "She".

And made even more popular by fictional barrister Horace Rumpole in John Mortimer's stories and the related TV series. Rumpole's wife is a bit of a battleaxe, so he refers to her (not to her face) as "She, who must be obeyed".


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 4:44 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 4:55 pm
Posts: 7641
Location: In Avalon with Arthur
JamesPerrin wrote:
... and frankly, that acronym is getting a bit past its sell-by date


True.

_________________
I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Workbench Window thread: Stuart's All new 'Backseat Blunders II'


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 7:25 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: March 8th, 2013, 10:21 pm
Posts: 2714
Location: South London
I have never really liked it, which is why I have always changed it with an 'A'

Zee28


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 1:27 am 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: November 23rd, 2012, 4:20 pm
Posts: 1651
Thanks for the education lesson haha!
So James, what would you like to use instead?

_________________
Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because It Happened.

Currently a member of the following SIG's:
Cold War SIG
Classic British Kit SIG


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 12:43 pm 
Offline
Looks like his avatar
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Posts: 6796
Location: W. Yorkshire
Maverick231 wrote:
Thanks for the education lesson haha!
So James, what would you like to use instead?



erm.... "my wife"

_________________
(2018 A:B 0:0 )(2017 A:B 7:3) (2016 A:B 18:6) (2015 A:B:C 20:0:9) (2014 A:B 15:5) (2013 A:B 30:6) (2012 A:B:C=33:18:1) (2011 A:B:C=46:11:6) (2010 A:B=33:19) (2009 A:B:C=26:10:1) (2008 A:B=11:9)
Better to fettle than to fill


Top
 Profile  WWW  
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: November 23rd, 2012, 4:20 pm
Posts: 1651
Its only a joke mate, Sally finds it hilarious.

_________________
Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because It Happened.

Currently a member of the following SIG's:
Cold War SIG
Classic British Kit SIG


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 5:00 pm 
Offline
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.
User avatar

Joined: August 9th, 2012, 6:24 pm
Posts: 134
Location: Geosynchronous orbit, but at a very low altitude
Maverick231 wrote:
Its only a joke mate, Sally finds it hilarious.

That's the important thing. If a potential SWMBO enjoys the joke, then it's a case of "no harm, no foul." If she doesn't, then don't use it -- as I don't, because I think my wife would be hurt by the implications. My VDW (very dear wife), as I refer to her on another forum, is very understanding that way -- though I think a 3-grand printer might be a bit much even for her. Like the idea of decal printing on demand, though.

_________________
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...


Top
 Profile   
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 10:36 am 
Offline
starter kit

Joined: December 25th, 2017, 11:47 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Czech republic
Those OKI White toner series printers aren't usable for decal printing. It print colours first and then white. It's perfect for T-shirts, transparencies or so but not for decals. Next reason is, that in this series black toner isn't present. Those printers use CMY + White. For this reason color fidelity of reproduction is not very good.
There are printers on the market with full CMYK + White, with white under colours in one pass. But price is far higher, around 15 000€. This is only regular replacement for ALPS. Better than ALPS, better printing results, resolution, faster print, better decal durability. I have it and I'm very satisfied.

LVi

_________________
Lubos Vinar
lubos@vinar.cz
www.vinar.cz


Top
 Profile  WWW  
 
ALPS replacement?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALPS replacement?
PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 11:27 am 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:28 am
Posts: 2098
Location: The Netherlands
LVi wrote:
Those OKI White toner series printers aren't usable for decal printing. It print colours first and then white.
That would seem to contradict what Oki say about the process, since they explicitly market these devices for printing on dark surfaces with an automatic white background for the colours. If what you say is true, they'll have at least 95% very angry customers; not a recipe for success..

Even if this is true, it would still enable two part decals, with the white separate from the other colours. I've even seen that sort of thing in professionally printed decals, and consider it a cheap cop-out in those cases, but for cottage industry, I'd gladly put up with it. The colour parts could even be printed on a different, CMYK laser.
Anyone and anything can get decent colour on a sheet of decal paper, the essential problem is getting the white on. Getting the white on conveniently (single pass with the other colours) would be a bonus, but not essential. To put it differently, should ALPS die, I'd be happy to replace it with a printer that can only do white.

Quote:
Next reason is, that in this series black toner isn't present. Those printers use CMY + White. For this reason color fidelity of reproduction is not very good.
I must admit that had me worried as well. If the ALPS ever dies on me, a few test sheets would definitely be part of the purchase process.

Quote:
There are printers on the market with full CMYK + White, with white under colours in one pass. But price is far higher, around 15 000€.
We're somewhat infected with insatiable curiosity around here. Even though these machines are way above our budgets, could you provide a link?


Top
 Profile  WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Macinscott 3 style by HighDefGeek