Best pait to use in a grockelbox?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Best pait to use in a grockelbox?

Post by Spearjig »

Been a bit quite with me on the modelling front, due in part to me not having a man shed at the moment and my modelling is mainly done in a cold dark leaky garage, however that's going to change next year, Anyway I digress, me and the girly have bought a grockel box (that's a touring caravan to the uninitiated) and she has suggested that in order to stop me getting cabin fever , that I take along a few models . I'm all for this but I normally spray paint them and I've got no chance of doing that in the van so its the hairy stick for me . My question is what would be the best paint brand to use. I've had limited success with Tamiya acrylic and Vallejo seem to be a bit shiny, I've read about enamels but drying time may be a problem ?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Best pait to use in a grockelbox?

Post by iggie »

Acrylic is the way to go, but for hairy stick application you are limited a little more than if spraying. Humbrol & Revell Aqua are the mainstream choices, but everyone will have their own thoughts and favourites!
I use a range depending on need; Humbrol & Revell work well for large area (wings, fuselage etc.) especially if you add a drop or two of retarder to slow the drying a little (by this I mean from 2 minutes to 5) so that you have a chance of keeping a 'wet edge' as you work. Detail painting can be done with these as well, but Tamiya will also be good. The other makes tend to be less suited but with experimentation and using multiple coats will work work well.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Spearjig »

Thanks, Ive got plenty of revell acrylics that I've never really used. I bought them on a whim and found them almost impossible to spray with and to be honest Id forgot about them. looks like their coming out of retirement.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I use Tamiya thinner to get the Revell paints brush-able as they ate too thick out of the pot. Use a good stirrer, an IKEA coffee frother minus the spring works well and use the widest flattest brush you can. Brush the paint out well to avoid ridges and brush marks and above all work fast to avoid your wet edge drying out.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Hex6
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Hex6 »

Don't forget Hataka blue line range of acrylics, they're designed for brushing.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

You might want to consider a more radical approach to modelling on the road, and switch to figures. In addition to not having any large surfaces that beg for the airbrush/rattlecan, the models themselves take up very little space. Also, colours on figures are even less well defined than on other subjects, so you can get away with a minimal set of paints and mixing up roughly the right colour from that, again saving space. Ditto for tooling. I'm fairly certain I could pack everything I need to work on figures in half a shoebox (this from the guy who has a large room full of modelling clutter for normal use..)
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I've modelled when out and about in my motorhome. I generally model outside using our fold up picnic table (weather permitting) and usually concentrate on assembling and brush painting. If spraying, I use a rattle can or my airbrush with a compressed air bottle. I could use my small compressor but I don't want to disturb other campers.

Return to “Small Talk”