Flory Paint Rack

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Flory Paint Rack

Post by IronMan129 »

Hey all!
I've just been watching a review of the product stated above and couldn't help but wonder if anyone else thought it was very expensive at £350 excluding a big postage price?
iggie

Re: Flory Washes/Sanders/Paint Wrack

Post by iggie »

I have a set of 8 Flory washes and although I don't remember what I paid, they last forever! I also make my own, with coloured chalk dust, water and Tamiya thinner. Veteran the Flory and my home brew, I don't expect to be buying any more this side of the great reckoning :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Flory Washes/Sanders/Paint Wrack

Post by JamesPerrin »

The sanders are a v good quality and last well. The bumper pack with a mix of grits and the skinny versions is good value. I did get mine at SMW were there was a discount and no p&p
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
IronMan129

Re: Flory Paint Rack

Post by IronMan129 »

Ahh ok so buying them at SMW sounds the better option then.
The paint rack is expensive though at £350!
Dazzled

Re: Flory Paint Wrack

Post by Dazzled »

The paint rack is, in my opinion, pretty pointless. It's not that difficult to make a paint rack with a sheet of plywood and some wooden battens.

I do like the washes though.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
timet10
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by timet10 »

Laser cutting costs in excess of £100 an hour so I expected the price to be high but not something I'd rush out and buy as I don't like paint racks just an excuse to have a paint stash as well as a kit stash

Are any of you Flory members? If so is it value for money I am undecided I like Phil's videos but not sure if other benefits make it worth the money
Currently on the bench Airfix 1/48 Blenheim
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

timet10 wrote:Laser cutting costs in excess of £100 an hour so I expected the price to be high but not something I'd rush out and buy as I don't like paint racks just an excuse to have a paint stash as well as a kit stash

Are any of you Flory members? If so is it value for money I am undecided I like Phil's videos but not sure if other benefits make it worth the money
I find a paint stash invaluable as my LHS is a train ride away and having a stock to hand actually saves me money.

I'm curious about Flory Models too. Is it value for money?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

I just watched the video on Youtube. Can't believe its £350!!!
It's not even close to being value for money.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Missed that statement about the price. I've got a compact laser cut 4 row deep desktop wood rack that cost £30+ quid and I thought that was expensive. I watched the video, though I like Phil I don't think the product came across well and frankly I think spreading you paints across the wall like that is a waste of space and has more to do with showing off. Most modellers use 20% of their paints 90% of the time. I have blacks, MSG and cockpit green on my desk the rest are in drawers or said rack. I'd rather buy two Iwata airbrushes with the money
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Ahhh, Phil 'And everything else like that' Flory. Nice chap. I like his skinny sanding sticks, they're pretty good. The washes I've had less success with. I think they work best on modern kits with engraved panel lines but because I mainly build old CBKs with raised panel lines they become less useful. I also add a drop of washing up liquid, it makes them behave better.

As for the paint rack, well.... It's an awful lot of money and, as James says, a bit of a show-off item. But I also agree with Dazzled, if I want a paint rack I'll make one myself, cheaply. It won't be as flashy looking but it'll function fine. But at the moment , like James, they are all in drawers and I get them out as and when I need one. Hmmmm, food for thought, I might make a rack this year.

I am not a member of his forum, only this one. He and his team have a tendency to focus on very modern, large scale and expensive kits so I am unsure what a bloke like me who glues together very old clunky CBKs in 1/72 would gain from it really. I'll stick around here, the home of the CBK SIG ta!

Zee28
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

All very good points that I agree with.
His videos are very value for money but I didn't agree with what happened to me which is why I didn't renew my membership when asked.
They were raising the price and Phil stated "current members will still pay what they are currently paying", funny that my membership via PayPal was randomly cancelled without me doing anything and I'd have to resubscribe which I would then have to pay the bigger price, I contacted them about it and they said I'd have no other choice.
If they had just told me they'd like me to pay a little more it wouldn't have been so bad but because they went about it in a sly and unprofessional way I decided to take my money elswere and stick to watching his YouTube channel.

But my god £300 for a clear paint rack when I can get one for a fraction of the price that I prefer and doesn't take up too much space and that I can put on the wall as its light weight wood.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I thought wrack was a seaweed :???:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

I agree with Zee28,his focus seems to be on modern large new kits,not much use for a kit basher like me who prefers old,sorry classic kits and as for the paint rack £350 is laughable,anybody could knock one up with plywood for next to nothing.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

My enamels live in a box with drawers in it (designed for electrical bits and bobs I think) that I bought from Wilcos cheaply a number of years ago. Acrylics are chucked in one of the drawers of my self-assembly IKEA desk that masquerades as a work bench and didn't cost a vast sum itself either. I know nowt about this guy but £350.00 for a rack to put paints in?!?!? he's having a giraffe! If you're no woodworker (I'm certainly not :ha: ) have a butchers in your local DIY/Hardware store, you might be surprised at what cheap plastic storage boxes and suchlike that they have and which can be pressed into service on the modelling workbench.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:My enamels live in a box with drawers in it (designed for electrical bits and bobs I think) that I bought from Wilcos cheaply a number of years ago. Acrylics are chucked in one of the drawers of my self-assembly IKEA desk that masquerades as a work bench and didn't cost a vast sum itself either. I know nowt about this guy but £350.00 for a rack to put paints in?!?!? he's having a giraffe! If you're no woodworker (I'm certainly not :ha: ) have a butchers in your local DIY/Hardware store, you might be surprised at what cheap plastic storage boxes and suchlike that they have and which can be pressed into service on the modelling workbench.
I made a paint rack using one of those three shelf units that are mainly made of plank shaped parts. Instead of three deep you only use one which gives you extra shelves!!. You do have to cut the side supports down by 2/3 but it can work very well and they aren't too much money. I'll try and get a pic of mine up at the weekend.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Small Talk”