Airfix 2018

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 2018

Post by fredk »

Amongst the announced kits are a
1/72 Two seater Me262 B nightfighter
An RAF Mk.IV Mustang [Dooleybird] in 1.48
also in 1/48 a Hawker Hunter F6
a few re-issues of kits with new markings options
Rather disappointed by their RAF 100th Anniversary set though; two old poor kits in the Camel and Typhoon
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
chrism

Re: Airfix 2018

Post by chrism »

They mentioned a spitfire XIV initially on the front page blurb .... but quickly edited that out ....

All in all nothing there for non-plane modellers. The six boxes of small figures that have reappeared are now cheaper than they were a few years ago!
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Post by iggie »

So much for my idea of a new tool Vulcan then!
I like some of the new schemes and I suspect I'll get a Hunter even though it's in the wrong scale.
Very much a consolidation year methinks.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

The Hunter is good news. Also the retooled kits, such as the Meteor FR9, Victor K2 and Phantom FGR2. We already knew about the new Blenheim and Wellington, and we still have some 2017 releases to see yet. Phantom FG1, Sea Fury FBII, B-25.

We'll have to see the catalogue for the whole story. I'm guessing that there may be a large mew tool next year. Possibly a Vulcan?

I have already asked about the Spitfire XIV. I'll have to see why it was removed. It is still listed in the Forum.

Nice to see the Marauder back.

I have been looking forward to reading about their new releases, but feel a bit deflated. Still plenty to spend my money on and plenty of unbuilt kits in the stash.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018.html;?
So many models, so little time.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The ME262 B1a, Phantom FGR2, RAF Mitchel and Wellington are all very interesting and will find their way into my stash but a giant Hunter will never be included- I can only hope that Revell will re-release their 1/72 scale Hunter kits, also the cold war 1/76 AFVs surely still have a market ? where are they?
David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

chrism wrote:They mentioned a spitfire XIV initially on the front page blurb .... but quickly edited that out ....

All in all nothing there for non-plane modellers. The six boxes of small figures that have reappeared are now cheaper than they were a few years ago!
They wrote back to explain that it was a typo. I wonder if we see this next year as a 1/24th scale kit?
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

lancfan wrote:The ME262 B1a, Phantom FGR2, RAF Mitchel and Wellington are all very interesting and will find their way into my stash but a giant Hunter will never be included- I can only hope that Revell will re-release their 1/72 scale Hunter kits, also the cold war 1/76 AFVs surely still have a market ? where are they?
David.
Zvesda, and others, already do a load of Cold War vehicles. If I was Airfix, I'd probably issue a Land Rover and figures in 1/48 for their aircraft models, such as the Javelin, Sea Vixen, Meteor and new Hunter. The set could include some extras, like boarding ladders, wheel chocks and FOD guards.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

fredk wrote:Amongst the announced kits are a
1/72 Two seater Me262 B nightfighter
An RAF Mk.IV Mustang [Dooleybird] in 1.48
also in 1/48 a Hawker Hunter F6
a few re-issues of kits with new markings options
Rather disappointed by their RAF 100th Anniversary set though; two old poor kits in the Camel and Typhoon
I was hoping for a new Camel. Plenty of re-releases to go at.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

FGR2 tick! It just needs more bombs :mrgreen:

Really glad they've done the Hunter is should be a great kit that many modellers desire.

Remember guys that this was always going to be a fallow year for Airfix due to the finances of Hornby, so they've consolidated is their recent new tools and gone for a sure fire seller.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Chuck E wrote:Zvesda, and others, already do a load of Cold War vehicles.
Really ? Zvesda make 1/76 scale AFVs ? I must go and seek them out ! :lol:

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

fredk wrote:Rather disappointed by their RAF 100th Anniversary set though; two old poor kits in the Camel and Typhoon
Reissuing that Camel is embarrassing on their part..... Could they really not bring out a new tool of the most iconic British fighter of the Great War for the centenary? Given how rubbish the Revell version is (only a slight improvement over Airfix), the only serious competitor in 1/72 is Roden, which is not a particularly common kit anyway.
Pretty poor show.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Catalogue is on the shelves in WHSmith's. I wonder if I was there before the 10am announcement ?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I would like to see the Camel in 1/24. I can break all of my modeling rules in one kit.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup all...
Apart from the anticipated two-seater 262, disappointing. I’ve got a Welligog on pre order from last year and that’ll be the last one for a while. Lots of folks elsewhere are so disappointed but one understands Hornsby protecting their revenue stream. Kits themselves will be well engineered obviously and no slouches. But I do feel for modellers who don’t want to do British WW2 aircraft. One ship repop and an AFV May have mitigated a lot of criticism. The die’s cast now though.
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Out of that little list of interest to me would be the Me 262-B (hopefully the trainer version will also be an option in the kit), the RAF Mustang and the Hunter (I have the 1/48th Academy Hunter, which has its faults apparently), scale is less of an issue to me as I'm generally happy to build up to 1/48th scale.

In the RAF 100th set is at least the Typhoon the new tool kit instead of an old banger like the Camel?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Small Talk”