Airfix 2018

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 2018

Post by fredk »

I don't think so.
Just a decal change adds an A [or B or C....] suffix to the number.
A different version using different parts - which may be included in the previous issue - gets a new number
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Zee28 wrote:
shangos70 wrote:They won't be getting much of my hard earned this year, I've gone mad and ordered the current new Phantom but I'm afraid I won't be paying nearly a fiver more for the Lightning since it's last issue.
I know most things go up but there are some hefty hikes in there. There are some nice subjects but I'll be waiting to pick them up as bargains further down the line . If I was unaware or buying for a new starter and coughed up for the Centenary boxing it would probably put me off Airfix for a good while, putting those 2 duff kits in there doesn't do much for the brand in my opinion.
I agree Shangos. For me, most of them are a bit too costly. And I think the centenary of the RAF deserves something better than that box set with two old clunkers in it.......

Zee28
I strikes me as just a cash in - probably aimed at the gift market and not directly at modellers.

The Euro-tiffy isn't a bad kit but there's no excuse for that Camel. I'm REALLY surprised they didn't knock out a new tool 1/72 kit - probably not much profit margin in it.

The only other issue with this boxed set is although the decal sheet will be good, I doubt it'll include any special marking the RAF apply to it's aircraft this year.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

VMA131Marine wrote:Revell is doing a 1/72 Hunter re-release this year.
:party

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Lol - What a fickle bunch we are :-D It is indeed true that you can't please everybody - There are some cracking kits in that line up.

The Hunter was obvious if you think about it, it was a big gap in their quarter scale British jet line up - I'm sure it'll sell well.

The twin seat 262 was a certainty if you've seen how the kit is laid out - the JABO version will be out in 2019 I would guess.

I doubt I'll be buying much TBH, although I might ask for a few as pressies over the year, but one that I might spring for is the 1/48 Spitfire mk.22/24 re-release. I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned this as by all accounts it's a cracking kit - they certainly seem to go for a fair chuck on ebay.
I'll also be getting a Walrus at some point, but probably the previous boxing. The Dooleybird would be good but I think I'd still go for the Tamiya kit.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

fredk wrote:I don't think so.
A different version using different parts - which may be included in the previous issue - gets a new number
Hmmm, I saw that, but am trying to figure out what the difference would be, particularly as the phrase "Silver Wings" implies a pre-war version. The current kit (A09183) uses the earlier water-rudder tailwheel (E28), but the later wheel-only is also included as E29.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

VMA131Marine wrote:
lancfan wrote:The ME262 B1a, Phantom FGR2, RAF Mitchel and Wellington are all very interesting and will find their way into my stash but a giant Hunter will never be included- I can only hope that Revell will re-release their 1/72 scale Hunter kits, also the cold war 1/76 AFVs surely still have a market ? where are they?
David.
Revell is doing a 1/72 Hunter re-release this year. I don't recall if it's the F.6 or FGA.9 that's being reissued but Hannant's has the full list so you can check there.

I wonder how the Hobbico Chapter 11 filing will affect Revell, considering that it owns both Revell/Monogram and Revell of Germany.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
chrism

Post by chrism »

jRatz wrote:
Hmmm, I saw that, but am trying to figure out what the difference would be, particularly as the phrase "Silver Wings" implies a pre-war version. The current kit (A09183) uses the earlier water-rudder tailwheel (E28), but the later wheel-only is also included as E29.
Such delicate deference have never worried them in the past ... Think of all the kits previously that have never quite lived upto the exact description before the need of a couple bits of evergreen from a knowledgeable modeller
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

Post by jezbrook »

My catalogue arrived this morning. I have now posted a full list of the Additions and Deletions taken from it on the A.C.C. Website, where it has replaced Tuesday's listing.
Jezbrook
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

chrism wrote:
jRatz wrote:
Such delicate deference have never worried them in the past ... Think of all the kits previously that have never quite lived upto the exact description before the need of a couple bits of evergreen from a knowledgeable modeller
Still curious, I went to the Airfix website and looked at the pre-order for that kit. It has 3 schemes, all silver, 1 RN 38-40, 1 Irish 38-40, and 1 French 45-46. All Mk.I, all with water-rudder, so I'm just not sure what the plastic difference can be and if there is one, of what significance it could be, even to the most diehard Walrus fan.

No matter, I have 2 kits, both of which will be Silver Wings and that's enough.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

jezbrook wrote:My catalogue arrived this morning. I have now posted a full list of the Additions and Deletions taken from it on the A.C.C. Website, where it has replaced Tuesday's listing.
Jezbrook
Thank you very much for that.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Thanks for doing that jezbrook, much appreciated. But the 'Deletions' section makes for depressing reading!

Zee28
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I think Airfix mainly have missed a trick here.
2018 - RAF 100th and F-35B introduction.
I know alot of people don't like her but she is our Harrier replacement now and we just have to live with it but if Airfix had done one in any scale(preferably 72nd) it would have fit in beautifully this year.
They could have even put it in the box set with a Spitfire and a couple of other kits to bring it that relevance the box set needed as the one they are releasing just doesn't do anything for me.
I do remember someone saying that Airfix weren't at all interested in a retooled Typhoon or a new F-35B and this is very bad news for me.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Maverick231 wrote:I think Airfix mainly have missed a trick here.
2018 - RAF 100th and F-35B introduction
I do remember someone saying that Airfix weren't at all interested in a retooled Typhoon or a new F-35B and this is very bad news for me.
We have to remember and consider that there are licensing matters toaddress in producing kits and companies have to be considered before it all happens. More so for new tools than ready pops
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Stuart wrote:Lol - What a fickle bunch we are :-D It is indeed true that you can't please everybody
How true Stuart :roll:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

I don't buy Airfix at all,their price is too high,even secondhand prices are high.Most of my kit buys are Frog,Revell and ICM, all are cheaper than Airfix.

Return to “Small Talk”