How Long?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

How Long?

Post by Stuart »

How long does it take you guys to build a kit? (on Average).

It seems to take forever for me - I've had the same two kits on the bench since last October, yet in the meatime you guys seem to be knocking them out left right and centre - and to a better standard!

What's your secret?

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How Long?

Post by iggie »

An understanding wife!

I usually have a couple of hours each evening on the bench, subject to any other family and/or work matters intervening. A straightforward single seat/engine jet or prop aircraft will typically take 3 to 5 evenings, I think the new-tool B17 I did this time last year was about 15, and USS Iwo Jima was about a hundred hours work.

I do a lot of painting by brush; for me airbrushing although giving a far better finish, is a pain. I have to go out to the garage (cold/damp and/or dusty), do the spraying and then clean up the airbrush. Doing this to paint the interior of a 1/72 cockpit just ain't going to happen, no matter how warm it is outside! But for the exterior schemes then I will try to make the effort, as (as mentioned) the finish will be better and there is likely a time saving overall including clean-up time compared to brushing.

Other than that, I don't have any 'secrets' as such; I use a coffee whisk for stirring paint (efficient & fast), I use almost exclusively Tamiya extra thin, extra rapid liquid poly, and acrylic paints & varnishes throughout to avoid drying time.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Time available, preparation, compromise, details, kit complexity, scheme complexity, tools, experience all play into it.

Though you've been building since October, how much time have you actually spent at the bench 2 or 200 hours? I would think if you are brush painting a standard series 2 kit OOB you should be able to do it in ~16 hours of bench time.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

For me it's not the time spent on the model, it's the time I lose dithering over choices related to the model.

David
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

It usually takes me about a week to build a model, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a little less.

While many get great results using an airbrush, the cost and unwieldy nature of them puts me off. I've always enjoyed using the old hairy stick and brush-painting by hand is one of the most pleasurable parts of a build for me.

I use CA (Super glue) and acrylic paints for faster results and easier clean-up. Also I've found that when I build more for enjoyment and less to impress others or meet some impeccable standard, I finish more kits and have more fun doing it. I've resigned myself to the fact that all my models have a flaw somewhere and I just try to enjoy the experience. I try to keep in mind that this is a hobby, not a job and the main point is to relax.

I hope that helps and I always enjoy your work, Stuart.

The Great Auk
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

I'm looking for work, so I have plenty of time to make kits. I'm also more of a kit assembler than a modeller, so I don't put in the time on builds that I perhaps ought too.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Time varies for me. I get into a funk looking at a model covered with filler spots etc. But it goes away once painting is done. There are several “busted” group builds I would like to finish this year. Normally I complete one a month. But love the Blitzbau.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Four or maybe five a year is about my average, Stuart and that hasn't increased due to my semi-retirement but to be honest I've stopped worrying about it (I do have other hobby interests though including playing bass guitar/guitar and a more recent return to cycling). I used to fret that I wasn't building enough to make the hobby worthwhile, that I'd never make inroads into my stash etc, etc, but I've slowly come round to accepting my building rate for what it is - slow compared to a lot of UAMF members :grin: I think that can be one of the dangers of being exposed to other modeller's build averages on a site such as this, it can make you feel inadequate about your own when without such exposure you might not have been unduly bothered!

Save for detail work I always airbrush and wouldn't go back to using a paint brush, despite the masking hassles (and I really hate masking!) as I have never achieved a finish that I'm truly happy with using a hairy stick - for instance my current build is a '109E in desert camo and I could never have made the mottling look anything like using a paint brush (although some wags might say that I haven't made the mottling look anything like by using an airbrush :ha: ). And to be honest I'm not sure a return to brush painting would significantly speed up my build rate in any event.

I wouldn't worry too much, just relax and enjoy the hobby, you make some excellent models and if you only make a few a year then so be it and certainly I wouldn't advocate making compromises to your builds just to make more - think quality over quantity is my advice.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

1-72 A.F.V. about a week.
Other things I build, usually longer.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
fredk

Post by fredk »

My rate is very variable. I can knock-up a basic kit inside 24 hours. If I'm doing 'improvements', as I am with a 1/72 P51 kit now, it'll take me three weeks maybe. Under pressure for SMW/Telford last year I finished 8 kits in under 3 weeks. If I loose interest - the kit can take years to get completed.
Last year's total build was 44 kits, down on previous years
I usually have around 12 to 15 kits in actual build at any one time. I have rather more on the Shelf of Doom aka my MU Storage Depot
But........my circumstances are I'm rather housebound, I don't get out much and its either reading, watching DVDs or modelling. I'd rather be productive building a model than watch a DVD
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I know I have kits in my stash that I started approaching 35 years ago - original boxing of the Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR.1
is but one that springs to mind - I just can't see the need to rush things personally :roll: :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I'm in the same boat as you are Stuart, I never seem to finish alot despite what seems hours and hours of work and effort!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Maverick231 wrote:I'm in the same boat as you are Stuart, I never seem to finish alot despite what seems hours and hours of work and effort!
Finish? Finish? OMG. You mean we're supposed to finish the damned things?

David
Bill_B
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Bill_B »

Personally I don’t care how long it takes me, I just enjoy the building, painting and if required, weathering. Also, I only ever build one at a time.
As an example though, last year (from June to December) I made three 1/35 tanks, two 1/25 cars and one 1/350 submarine. These were worked on about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week as I was off on sick leave for most of the year.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Even a small 1/72 aircraft kit can take me about two weeks or so. Some larger kits drag on for two to three months.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II

Return to “Small Talk”