How Long?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How Long?

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice to see another Cougar on the go :grin:

Nigel
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

This is a good question Stuart and something I've never really thought about.

I am, by nature, a bit of an impatient modeller, I like to see results quite quickly and because I do the minimum of weathering and other skilled stuff (because I'd be rubbish at it) and also because I tend to build simple older 1/72 kits straight out of the box, then my production rate is quite high.

I may occasionally have long breaks between models to pursue other hobbies and interests but once I commit to a kit then I go at it full-on so to speak. Unless interrupted by life stuff I will spend every waking moment at the bench. I do very long sessions at the bench and try to be 'efficient' with the time available, ie. I organise the kit so there is always something to do, for example, whilst paint on one area is drying I will be assembling another part. I can't tolerate periods of inactivity at the bench, so I do a kit in an order that maintains momentum.

I have been known to start modelling on a Saturday morning and still be at it when the sun comes up on Sunday morning (being a bit of an insomniac helps with this!). I have also been known to skip meals so I can keep modelling.

I have a certain amount of self discipline, I never have more than one kit on the go at one time, I will always push through to a finish of one kit before even looking at another.

I even speed things up by cheating! eg. grabbing Mrs. Zee's hairdryer to accelerate paint drying time.

Consequently, the time to finish a kit is short, a few days at most. If it takes any longer than that then it either means I have been inefficient or it's all gone horribly wrong! If it has a simple colour scheme, perhaps one colour all over, then it'll often be done in a day.

Being that my home is very small I have exhausted the available display space very quickly. This is now my biggest problem.

Mrs. Zee once commented that I must be descendant of Henry Ford because she thinks I churn models out like a production line!

I get into a sort of 'Zone'. Maybe pour a drink, get some quality rock music playing in the hobby room and then go at the kit with quite some intensity!

Probably the longest build was my Airfix Liberator which seemed to me to go on forever, but in reality it was probably not that long.

Good question mate, it made me take long look at myself and the way I tackle this strange hobby of ours.

Zee28
]
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Late as ever to the discussion :???: So much for my resolution to get onto the forum more frequently :oops:

This has been a really interesting discussion and there have been some contributions from the likes of Ratch and Dwomby that have really tickled me :)

TBH, I've never actually timed how long it takes me to a model (although I have managed to do a group build). It's not something I ever worry about. I know there are a lot of modellers who can really churn them out but I'm just out there to enjoy it. I have a lot of other hobbies (gardening, sewing, movies, etc.) and then of course there are the usual factors that other people have mentioned such as work and everyday life.

As with all of my hobbies, I would love to spend more time on it. But as for the amount of time I spend on each build to me is irrelevant (unless my other half wants the modelling bench ;-) ). I just try to do the best I can and use my hobbies to relax - enjoy it!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Normally I can turn out single engine types in about 15-20 hours.

My main issue is getting the kit to the painting stage. I look at this object with filler patches and such and run out of steam. If I can get a little paint on, the batteries get charged and the juices get flowing.

Probably why I like the Blitzbau. I seem to override the negative and roll on.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Oh no! Glad you were able to salvage some of it. It's a nice looking build.
arni

Post by arni »

Depends on what it is,this took about 3 weeks to bang together.

But this took a bit longer...

While this one took 30 years and a month.....30 yrs to find it and a month to build. :ha:
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Months! Many, many months! I really think I have ADD. I can sit still for about 20 minutes or so. If I put putty on a model and while I wait for it to dry, I'm off to do something else (grade papers, draw or paint a picture, watch TV, go for a walk) and then it may be hours, or days, or weeks until I get back to my kit. Then I move on to another "wait" step and the whole cycle starts over.

That's why I only build 4 - 5 kits a year. Because of who I am, I try to not get too over-stretched with group builds and long-term projects. I've got lots of B-17 kits (my favorite WWII aircraft) but I doubt I'd ever have the necessary attention span to build more than 1 or 2 of them.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”

Return to “Small Talk”