Sunderland Conversion

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Sunderland Conversion

Post by Stuart »

Has anyone ever converted an Airfix or Italeri Shorts Sunderland mk.III into a civilain aircraft? If so, what's needed asides from fairing over the turrets?

My Mother-in-law used to work for Aquila Airways back in the 1950's and has fond memories of the Sunderland and the Solents. I thought it would be nice to build her one. I think I've managed to source the decals and now I just need to sort out the kit. I know the Airfix kit is pretty old (not that that has ever bothered me) but likelwise I've heard that the italeri kits has it's faults too - not sure what to get yet - trying the swapsies route first.

Should make for an intersting project.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sunderland Conversion

Post by DavidWomby »

There's an old Airfix Magazine conversion for this. I may have it somewhere.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Stuart

I do have the old article on converting a Sunderland to a Sandringham. If you need it, please PM me.

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

The old Airfix kit is the better choice at it makes a Mark III whereas the Italeri is a Mark I. Post-WW2 Civilian operated Sunderlands were Mark IV Sunderlands
Remove turrets, and the bomb doors under the wings. The Mk IV Sunderland had a few port hole windows in different locations to the Mk.III as well a few less. The Airfix porthole windows are actually too large, some builders line them with plastic tubing to reduce the size, but for all the gain I'm not sure its worth the work. Also; afair, the MK.IV/Civilian used different engines and props than the Mk.III Airfix, I would need to search thru my reference books to check.

There are photos of an Anset Airlines [spelling? name?] of Australia Sunderland on the internet; look it up.

edit; I didn't know Italeri does Mk.III as well. Kingkit has them at £31.50 to £37.79, + postage
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The Italeri kit looks like they have used boiler platting on the side, a bit like the old Matchbox Flower Class Corvette :shock:

The Solent Air Museum in Southampton has one that they let you go inside if you ask nicely.

For what I recall the Airfix kit is covered in rivets so what your skin when building it :-D
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

The RAF Museum in Henson has one they have open all the time(once the refurbishment has taken place and they open that hanger again)
vacant

Post by vacant »

You may find this useful as a reference.
https://www.antillesairboats.com/shorts ... ngham-s-25;
It's a conversion that has long been on my 'to do' list (using the old Airfix magazine article), so I will watch your progress with interest.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the advice gents - from the pictures I've seen, it is a Sunderland III I'm after, not a sandringham. So from what fred says it's fairing bits over and a mod to the engines.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Small Talk”