Moving the stash

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Chris

Re: Moving the stash

Post by Chris »

A good way to move built airplanes is to place them on a piece of card board, then tie them down to it with wire, the way toys are shipped in boxes.

If you bend up the edges of the cardboard, like this: I___I

you can stack them and place them in boxes.

Place bubble wrap on the bottom and top of the stack, and between each layer and they should be fine.
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

When I moved mine, the built models were transorted in boxes filled with poly chips and the kits were brought over in black bin liners.

The built ones didn't really take up that much space. The kits on the other hand almost filled a Luton van.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Get thee to Tescos (or ASDA or Morrisons) and grab a load of used fruit/veg boxes.
They're sturdy and stackable
Then pop in to your local DIY and find some polystyrene tiles. These cover the bases of your boxes and you can use cocktail sticks to stop your models sliding around in the box.

Regards,
Bruce
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

MerlinJones wrote:Get thee to Tescos (or ASDA or Morrisons) and grab a load of used fruit/veg boxes.
They're sturdy and stackable
thats what i did when i moved 6 months ago....(and not just for the built kits.....we had hundreds of the blinking things).......however for packing i went a different (and cheaper) route.............whilst sorting out i had loads of paper work that needed shredding.....ended up with 2 binbags full in strips............the poor shredder was cutting out cos it kept overheating :-D ....so used that.....when i unpacked at the other end i used a very soft brush (actually a then new make up blusher brush i pinched off swmbo and keep just for dusting) to dust off any paper dust

i actually found that the most dangerous thing when moving was 'er indoors finding out how big the stash was when i brought it down from the loft :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

If Possible, DO NOT put your models in black bin liners - it's all too easy for a well-intentioned helper to send them off to the wrong place...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

There is no such thing as 'equal girl value'...there is only 'girl value+++ for all those times you never appreciate me...'...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

If the missus starts to question the number of boxes coming in, just tell her you took some lower priority boxes back outside so you could have space to bring in the higher priority ones, and now you're bringing the lower priority ones in again ....

Worth a try ... :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

It may be too late, but I've learned that the more ready the receiving place is, for The Stash, the easier the move. It's also a great opportunity to actually catalogue what you have. One of my moves was a little disorganised and, as a consequence, I'm still finding the occasional misplaced box.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I had a spreadsheet inventory before we moved.
I tried to envision how I would store items at the new place and packed accordingly.
At the new place, I prepped all the shelving before doing anything else.
Then I checked each kit off on my inventory as I unpacked, and also did each aftermarket set, decal, etc.
Did same with my paints, glues, etc ....

It looked wonderful .. :grin: .. for about a week .. :frown:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My stash, although large, was diminished by my 1800 book library in cube and, more importantly, weight ....

Return to “Small Talk”