My library just grew......

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Falcon
F-16 Fan

My library just grew......

Post by Falcon »

I think its about time we had a thread about the books and mags you have recently bought to assist your hobby, so here it is.

Just got a couple of books from Ebay.

The Viper Story, Part 1: F-16's of the Air National Guard by Jake Melampy

and

The Modern Viper Guide: The F-16C/D Exposed also by Jake Melampy
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: My library just grew......

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've bought a few of the Aviation Classics quarterly magazines. These are a collection of articles on a single subject at 7GBP is may seem a lot for a magazine but they are ~128 pages, almost no adverts and with some nice glossy photos. Though few profiles and no plans they are very good value for money compared to a modeller's profile. Unfortunately they are exclusive to WHSmiths but can be ordered online.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by IvanV22 »

I’ve just renewed my subscription for Fine Scale Modeler. But next year I am thinking of switching to Airfix Model World or Model Aircraft.
I’m also learning to be real found of the net, have just found some neat sits for Panzer camo ( have I Panzer IV I want to do in winter camo) , the next is to find some inside photos of a B-25.
One the other hand, it is much more relaxing to cuddle up with a nice book or mag, than sitting in front of a PC.
Best from Ivan
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

My Haynes Manual of the Corellian YT-1300 Freighter (Modified) arrived today. One of the best Star Wars 'manuals' for a long, long while.

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

My current fave mag is SAMI. I like the fact that, unlike Fine Scale Modeler, not all of the models are finished by experts who achieve a museum finish, but many are by Mr Average. That's nice, less intimidating and more "real world". There's also the classic plastic section, which is right up my street and long may it continue to be a feature. Hope I haven't gone too far off thread and soz if you think I have but my enthusiasm for SAMI knows no bounds at present!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

ShaunW wrote:There's also the classic plastic section, which is right up my street and long may it continue to be a feature.
I'll try...... :lol:

Please e-mail Gary and let him know how much you enjoy the mag - he gets little enough kudos for what he does.... ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

ShaunW wrote:My current fave mag is SAMI. I like the fact that, unlike Fine Scale Modeler, not all of the models are finished by experts who achieve a museum finish, but many are by Mr Average. That's nice, less intimidating and more "real world". There's also the classic plastic section, which is right up my street and long may it continue to be a feature. Hope I haven't gone too far off thread and soz if you think I have but my enthusiasm for SAMI knows no bounds at present!
Did Paul Bradley slip you a fiver.... :ha:

But I agree with you, great read. (psst Paul, mine was a tenner in just small unmarked notes ok? ;-) )
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Recently bought 9 issues of vintage 1968-70 Airfix mags - interesting stuff.

Also from E-Bay, I just bought 6 bound issues of Air Pictorial, circa 1962, so I'm looking forward to them arriving. I like old aviation and modelling mags.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Jagewa wrote:Did Paul Bradley slip you a fiver.... :ha:

But I agree with you, great read. (psst Paul, mine was a tenner in just small unmarked notes ok? ;-) )
Cheers, Jim - I'll keep an eye on the mailbox. We poor starving authors need all the backhanders dosh we can get....
Paul

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

He actually gave me £20 :grin:

I just love the mag and its sister Scale Military Modeller. I'll send Gary an email as you suggest Paul. That'll cost another tenner :-D
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
bilby1968

Post by bilby1968 »

I have just taken up a subscription with the Australian hobby mag, Modelart, rather than renew my SMMI. Better to support the local mag was my New Year's resolution and I will still scan the other mag at the newsagent when I venture down there.

Just arrived from Book Depository was a book called Pure Massacre which is a book about the Australian forces who were part of the UN force that was in Rwanda in the mid 90s during the civil war
3 on the bench at anytime............well sometimes!!
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

MerlinJones wrote:My Haynes Manual of the Corellian YT-1300 Freighter (Modified) arrived today. One of the best Star Wars 'manuals' for a long, long while.

Regards,
Bruce
I have several Haynes Manuals, mostly of car and motorcycles that I own or have owned.
But I have also one for a Spitfire! Fun to read and shows a lot of the inner detail of this great bird!
( and should I want to by one, well I already have the users manual…) ;-)
But I didn’t know that they also covered SciFi vessels!!!! WOW!!
(This is my 14 post, couldn’t stop on 13!) ;-)
Ivan
Best from Ivan
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

IvanV22 wrote: [
But I didn’t know that they also covered SciFi vessels!!!! WOW!!
I think Haynes are diversifying.
The sci-fi stuff is quite unlike the car and bike manuals...you don't learn how to dismantle and reassemble a YT-1300, for example, but you do get a lot of inside info, including history of the type. Apparently, a lot of the info has been gleaned from existing sites, but from a modelling point of view, it'll be useful.
I've also got one on the Star Trek Enterprise on its way. Again, this isn't a maintainance manual as such, but gives geek detail on all ships named Enterprise, in the Star Trek Universe.

There's a Lunar Module book out and there's a Thunderbird one out soon.

Regards,
Bruce
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Merlin Jones
OK , Thanks , I began hoping for a repair manual for The Lost In Space Jupiter!
Just so I could help them home!
One the other hand , maybe I should search Amazon UK for Haynes books!
Best from Ivan
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

ShaunW wrote: not all of the models are finished by experts who achieve a museum finish, but many are by Mr Average...!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Go on - I dare someone to go there... :ha: :ha: :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Small Talk”