My library just grew......

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
MerlinJones

Re: My library just grew......

Post by MerlinJones »

beany wrote:
ShaunW wrote: not all of the models are finished by experts who achieve a museum finish, but many are by Mr Average...!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Go on - I dare someone to go there... :ha: :ha: :ha:
To be honest, that's precisely why I was drawn to SAMI in the first place. ;-)
Whenever I post a review or article, I hope to inspire other modellers to have a go themselves, having looked at my efforts and decided that they could easily do as well or even better. I'm quite content to be considered as a "Mr.Average" :ha:
You have me at one end of the 'Easy' scale and Mike Grant at the other.

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I appreciate that in a professionaly produced magazine one would perhaps not expect to see fogged up canopies and unfilled join lines, but I think credit is due to the producers of SAMI to allow in the sort of stuff that I produce. Expertly finished models look great and all due respect to their builders, but I agree with Merlin in that I think real inspiration can come from looking at a pic in a magazine and thinking "I could do that" rather than "I haven't a hope". Let's face it, most of us will not be winning the overall title at SMW any time soon! :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

March issue of Jets Monthly has articles on the Folland Gnat showing good close ups of a/c in different colour schemes (useful if you have just got the new Airfix Gnat) , Gary Powers and the U-2, 25 years of the Airbus and a very good item on the Sea Hawk vs Panther, i did’t realise until i read the article that they both had the same Nene power plant.

They also show photos of the Tornado carrying Brimstone missiles and Swedish Lansen’s evolution over it’s operational life..

For £3.95 it’s not a bad read.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Picked up a copy of The Early Viper Guide by Jake Melampy at the Huddersfield model show today.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

From the Huddersfield Show, I relieved James of his "Soviet X Planes" and "British Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles". The latter volume has given me Completion Euphoria, as I now 'have the (current) set'.

Regards,
Bruce
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

MerlinJones wrote:From the Huddersfield Show, I relieved James of his "Soviet X Planes" and "British Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles". The latter volume has given me Completion Euphoria, as I now 'have the (current) set'.

Regards,
Bruce
I don't think there will be anymore of the BSP books Bruce as Ian Allen who own Midland books pulled the plug on any further BSP books after the Hypersonics issue.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

My Completion Euphoria has doubled!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I picked these two up from a local charity shop for £1 each :grin:

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice score, Splash!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have both volumes of Messenger's "For Love of Regiment", which are excellent, and now shall have to go look for this one also.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I became interested in the Home Guard several years ago when I got the Accurate Armour 1/35th Armadillo and thought about doing a diorama around it. I bought a few books on HG organization, uniforms, and equipment, and a few figures to go with it all but then never finished it.

Perhaps this book will get the juices flowing again.

And, no, I have not seen the TV series ...

BTW, you can find this on Amazon or go direct to Pen & Sword; it is just released.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have a large number of the Putnam Aeronautical series and use them often. Over the last few weeks, I've managed to add these to the collection. I would have liked to get them all from the same publisher, but instead went for the least expensive options.

For those not familiar, they cover in sequence 1903-1914, 1915-1919, 1920-1929, 1930-1934, and 1935-1939. There are none covering later years that I am aware of.

I am now at least 8 books behind on reading ....
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I just grabbed "The Enthusiasts' Guide to Buying a Classic British Sports Car: The Major Manufacturers' Model launched between 1945 and the early 1980's"! For 6 quid from the Oxfam charity shop. Profusely illustrated with B&W photo's looks like a very interesting and useful book even if I'm not planning on buying a classic car. My delight at my find was somewhat dampened when I then went into the Works bargain book shop and found that they were selling the very same book for 5 quid! Feel like I'm been pick-pocketed in a good cause.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Preordered these two from Amazon before I left home so I could uplift them while in the US - the postage on books to New Zealand now is a real killer since USPS decided to get rid of international surface post...

IMHO, this is one of the best explorations of an air 'accident' that I have ever read and really peels back the layers of what happened that morning for the reader to draw their own conclusions...

Have been researching the Seamaster for a long ion in anticipation of eventually building the Airmodel vacform...

...and scored this from a great secondhand book shop (can't remember the name and there are a bunch of them but it was down towards train station) in King Street in Old Town Alexandria...

Have been looking for it for a long time from when I was wanting to learning more about 'modern' heavy cavalry...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Just picked up a copy ofThe British Bomber since 1914 by Francis K Mason looks to be a good book.
BEEN A WHILE

Return to “Small Talk”