My library just grew......

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: My library just grew......

Post by IvanV22 »

Just got my 2 new Haynes “Owners Workshop Manual’s” , on sale from amazon.uk! Just 25.98 £ and no shipping charge ( from the UK to Norway!) :lol: ! Nice to have if I find a 109 in my woods and need to repair it!!! ;-) Nice books , they give a lots of information about the aircraft, many pictures outside and inside. And have just order 3 new ones…( one is about the Thunder Birds) !! :grin:
Ivan
Best from Ivan
Mxyzptlk
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Mxyzptlk »

There was a Jubillee Fete in the VIllage this afternoon. I checked out the Local Library's Stall and bought this for a pound...

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I replaced several bumper book are WWII a/c type books with a set of those concise guides, they've been published several times I got the British and Axis volumes from a cheapo bookshop last year and the same US volume as you later off ebay,.

This week though I've finally received Tony Buttler and Jean-Louis Delezenne's X-Planes of Europe. About half this book covers British experimental a/c of which I've got covered already by at least three books. However the most interesting stuff covers the French, German and Swedish a/c industries. The dramatic Griffon II to the N-20 Aiguillon that Simon started not so long ago. Lots of large clear photos, some line drawings and cutaways. The text is quite large so I expect it sticks to the necessary details without being exhaustive/exhausting.

The copyright is 2010 but it has only just been finally published. I've had it on Amazon pre-order for over year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-planes-Europe ... 90210921X/;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Mxyzptlk
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Mxyzptlk »

So much for getting a cheap book (the ex-library book). I should have checked before buying. Some of the pages had some of the pictures cut out! Managed to replace it from Amazon for about £3 (better condition and a slip cover).

Had this arrive in the post. Now if I had a kit...

Pre-ordered for £7.50. Due at the end of last week. Had an email saying it was delayed for a couple of weeks. Doorbell rang today, and it arrived.
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

I also like the Hayes books!
I received my copy of the Thunderbirds manual a few days ago.

Have also received Hayes Tiger Tank and “the owners Workshop manual for HMS VICTORY 1765-1812” !

Best from Ivan
Best from Ivan
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Just picked up "Prototype 1968-70" for £5 from a book sale, 96 pages in black and white with photos and good three view drawings of all types of racing cars.

Cars covered in the book:
Alfa Romeo T33, Cooper BRM T86, Ferrari V12, Ford GT40 V8, Honda RA301, Lotus Ford 49, Mc Laren M8A, Howmet Turbine, Matra MS10 & 11, Lotus Turbine, Alpine V8, Ford P69, Matra 650, Mirage, Porche 908, Porche 917, Lola T70mk3B, Ferrari P312, Brabham BT26, BRM P139, Ferrari V12, Lola T142, Matra MS80 & 84 McLaren M7A & M9A, Lotus Ford 63, Surtees TS5-V8

If you need copies of any of the plans just drop me a PM.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

CLASSIC KITS by Arthur Ward

Here is an interesting cheap book that’s available from “The Works” in the UK for only £5.99.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Just picked these two up to help with my Seafire builds.

T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

It really pays to check charity shops and second hand book shops. Today I picked up the following all in very good condition:
Pathfinder Force, by Gordon Musgrove,A Thousand Shall Fall by Murray Peden, Green Markers Ahead Skipper by Gilbert Gray and We Flew Old Fred-The Fox by Arnold Easton story of Lancaster DV372. All of these are rarer Bomber Command books and the total cost £16 amazing value.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

The family are really getting the hang of what to get me for my birthday, so I've got a ton of vouchers for books. I'm going out and making a start tomorrow. :partytime:

And I got loads of good stuff. I also picked up a new Airfix release by Mike Grant, 'Circuits and Bumps.' Very nice.
So many models, so little time.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Added many new books recently to my library - been on a bit of a binge...

Allied Coastal Forces vol. 2 Vosper MTBs by John Lambert. A classic and a very handy reference for the Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB that I plan on bulding as a tribute to my granddad, who was crew during WWII.

British Experimental Aircraft of WWII by Tony Buttler. Fascinating stuff, reading it at the mo. One of my favourite authors.

X-Planes of Europe also by Tony Buttler. Looks brill, can't wait to start on this one!

De Havilland Twin-Boom Fighters by Barry Jones. One of the Crowoord series about the Vampire, Venom and Sea Vixen.

Lancaster at War, vols. 1 to 3

Shorts Aircraft and Gloster Aircraft, both from the Putnams series.

The Cold War Years - Flight Testing at Boscombe Down by Tim Mason. Another read I am looking forward to.

Four volumes from the Australian Air Power series by Stewart Wilson - Lincoln, Canberra and F-111; Catalina, Neptune and Orion; Dakota, Hercules and Caribou; Meteor, Sabre and Mirage. Great series, and I still have a further 4 to acquire...!

Also picked up three bound volumes of Air International magazine from the seventies, vols. 10, 14 and 23 - love reading the news items and lamenting about the state of the RAf compared to yesteryear..... :roll:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

splash wrote:Just picked up "Prototype 1968-70" for £5 from a book sale, 96 pages in black and white with photos and good three view drawings of all types of racing cars.

Cars covered in the book:
Alfa Romeo T33, Cooper BRM T86, Ferrari V12, Ford GT40 V8, Honda RA301, Lotus Ford 49, Mc Laren M8A, Howmet Turbine, Matra MS10 & 11, Lotus Turbine, Alpine V8, Ford P69, Matra 650, Mirage, Porche 908, Porche 917, Lola T70mk3B, Ferrari P312, Brabham BT26, BRM P139, Ferrari V12, Lola T142, Matra MS80 & 84 McLaren M7A & M9A, Lotus Ford 63, Surtees TS5-V8

If you need copies of any of the plans just drop me a PM.

Regards
Splash
Fantastic - that used to be one of my favourite library withdrawl items back in 1970/71. I think I was the only person who ever borrowed it.
Titan

Post by Titan »

Whilst out Xmas shopping yesterday I popped into WH Smiths and found this.... written by Mike Grant( Migrant)

What a great pleasure it has been to read and I have picked up a lot of helpful tips from it already.
I missed these when they were first published in Sami so I was really chuffed to get them all in one book.
Fantastic book Mike.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Thanks Mark, glad you enjoyed it :)
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

PaulBradley wrote:Lancaster at War, vols. 1 to 3
Best three books ever! If anyone needs to learn about the Lanc' these are the books to have.

Return to “Small Talk”