eBay "auctions"- in name only

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

eBay "auctions"- in name only

Post by JamesPerrin »

Over the last couple of years, it's become apparent people are not using eBay auctions as intended to sell old model kits ( and presumably other "collectables"). Sellers are setting a starting price of what they want for the kit and not letting the bidders decide what it's worth. It wouldn't be so bad but a lot of prices are mindboggling. So there a fewer bargains to be had and some interesting kits are priced out of range and are just relisted for eternity.

1. Are sellers just using "auctions" because it's cheaper than to list as "shop"?
2. Fewer starting price + buy now listings.
3. If there is a "make an offer" button use it
4. I don't mind a high-ish starting price as it puts other bidders off, as long as it's around 50% of what I'd expect to pay.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: eBay "auctions"- in name only

Post by beany »

Something I am seeing more often is that if I add something to my Watch list I then get an offer of Buy It Now with a discounted price. I have taken this once or twice as I was considering bidding anyway and therefore an immediate 10% (or thereabouts) discount was acceptable.
Also, on the occasions when I have initiated making an offer it is usually countered with a price half way between my offer and the original asking price, hence I have learned make a even lower initial offer and am then prepared to come up a bit as that is the price I would be happy to pay.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: eBay "auctions"- in name only

Post by iggie »

I've sold lots on ebay using an auction listing, always with a 99p starting price, and on some occasions I've got a higher finishing price than 'buy it now' listings for the same kit! Starting prices other than 99p usually put me off bidding in the first place, especially when I can see the same item at pretty much the same (or even cheaper) price elsewhere!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Small Talk”