Spannered...or not?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
MerlinJones

Spannered...or not?

Post by MerlinJones »

My modelling ground to a halt today, simply because my digital camera's batteries are dead and it'll take a while for them to re-charge.

How's that actually stop the modelling, you ask, (or probably don't).

For a variety of reasons, I started photographing stages of my builds, so as to present them in-Forum. Not everything, but most stuff I think might be of use to someone relatively new at this hobby of ours.
It'd be far simpler to post a few images of the finished article, but I manage to convince myself that a detailed build would be better. I know I appreciate seeing how others tackle modelling problems.

Currently, I'm working on the old Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.1.
There are loads of build-ups of this kit across the worldwide net.

I'll be using a Pavla resin set I re-discovered and, again, there are lots of images of this, in various forms, across the Net.

What I've missed seeing were clear comparison shots of the Airfix pieces and Pavla pieces and how to get the best out of the resin, what to cut off the Airfix kit, etc.. So it was my intent to show these details, as I covered them in the build.

No camera, so no photos, so no progress shots and no progress.

Of course, given the usual lack of responses to many of my builds, it could be that I'm wasting my time with the taking of images, cleaning up any contrast issues, uploading them to Picturetrail accounts, (which require some payment, due to their size of albums) and then posting them on this very Forum.

I'm not asking for a rash of responses to previously ignored threads, but I am curious as to whether or not there is any useful point to posting build-ups?

Regards,
Bruce
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Spannered...or not?

Post by flakmonkey »

Yes there is. I can only speak for myself, but I will probably only reply to 1 in 50 build threads. Not because they aren't interesting but simply because I have nothing useful to add. Anyway Bruce you build so fast that people don't have chance to type :ha:
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

Well I can't speak for others but I appreciate anyone taking the time to do WIP builds and post them and try to do my fair share of them.
I don't know if it helps any but I use a Photobucket account, and resize my WIP shots to 600 pixels wide at 72PPI then only show the completed at a higher pixel width, typically 800 but 1042 max, these create image sizes in .jpg at just a few hundred KB and are plenty big enough for on screen scrutinising and ref.
So far i haven't exceeded my free useage on PB

I've, just this morning picked up the new tool 72nd MKI spitty and looking forward to building that, i'm considering doing a video WIP for that one
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

Damn guys, how're you up to several hundred posts already on the new site? Only just created my login yesterday and managed about three so far :)
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

now i like to see build up threads............like someone else said i only make a comment if i think its worth making.............strange thing is, i love reading other peoples wip's but hate to do them myself :-D
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
montessa315

Post by montessa315 »

Always read through other peoples build up threads, never know what tips you can pick up. Might not always make a comment because somebody else has already said it. But I'm sure if you look at the views you get, it got to be worth the extra effort.
I also find it useful as a reference to come back to if I want to check what has been done previously.
But as already said, you build so fast its hard to keep up. :-D

The free photobucket accounts no longer have a limit on the storage space, so you will only need to pay for an account if exceeding the download limit.

Alan.............
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I'm also one who loves reading WIP threads. Not that I'm a great builder myself but I firmly believe that if it wasn't for other peoples WIPS I wouldn't be at the level I am today. So in return I decided a while ago to detail as much of my builds as I can because someday someone might find something I've done useful.

As for replying to every thread, that's difficult but I do try to respond to most if only to show people someone IS watching. That said if I was to reply to ALL of Bruce's threads I'd never get anything done.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
arni

Post by arni »

Yes,it is worth taking the time and trouble of taking pics.I do it with most of my builds even if only as a record of my builds as Alan pointed out,it is nice to go back to check...What did I do on that? what colour did I use ect.

OK so most people dont reply,but there are lots of reasons here,for me mostly it is a lack of time.During the working week I have a window of about 4 hours from getting in to bedtime,so the time is spliced pretty thinly! LOL
(that's why I love long weekends,cos I can post and build. :grin:)
I use tinypic and have about 3500 images in there,all at no cost.

As for the batteries,well my camera uses aa batteries as does my cordless mouse..I buy a quality 16 pack so therefore never run out. :ha:
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I love WIP reports with photos. I read them all but don't reply to many when there is nothing more to add but "nice work, great looking_________."

Many know by now that my building sequence is rather strange and in many ways make more work for myself. That is why I like observing others. I actually learn a bit.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

arni wrote:As for the batteries,well my camera uses aa batteries as does my cordless mouse..I buy a quality 16 pack so therefore never run out. :ha:
Poundland have a USB battery charger that works a treat, and sell all the common sizes of Ni-MH rechargables (£1 a pack believe it or not). For less than the price of a Duracell four pack you can have six AA rechargeables and a charger. Mine has been in non-stop use for six months now with no problems, handy when you have an Apple Magic Mouse with a ravenous appetite for AA cells. I like a bargain.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The dead batteries were my fault. I bought a second set,, to live in the charger and to be used when Set 1 gave up. Batteries could then swap places.
Unfortunately, 'someone' switched off the charger and I only had dead batteries to swap with.

I suppose I need some builds to do that don't merit wip shots...

Regards,
Bruce
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I used to think that documenting all modeling activities was fun. Lately I'm not so sure. I like to post updates on my work when I reach major mile-stones, when I'm stumped by a tricky portion of a project, or when I figure out a creative way of overcoming a problem and I want to share it with the forum. From time to time I do like to throw on a group shot of progress I have made over the past week or some such.

I think most folks just have nothing to say to run of the mill updates. I myself enjoy reading other people's WIP, but admittedly find the posts more interesting when the writer is asking a question on how to solve a problem, or when they show off a cool way of doing something (e.g., Flakmonkey's Sea Vixen rocket pods). Other times I look at the thread, and think to myself "Hey, that person is making good progress on that kit" but I don't want to sound like some people on some other forums and reply with banal one word comments like "sweet" or "awesome" or some such.

That said, reading regular updates does foster a sense of community in the group. So in a sense, maybe the regular updates are worth it. I don't know
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I enjoy documenting my own builds for my own benefit and satisfaction. Luckily when my camera runs out of juice I can just plug it in and carry on using it while the battery recharges.

Sorry Bruce if we can't keep up with your output but it will always happen that something doesn't piques peoples interest enough to reply, but I always look at the number of views as a better idea of how many people are following my build. BTW no one commented of the completion of something I considered one of my best builds -go figure.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks guys...the non-response isn't really an issue. It was the wondering whether or not I was posting too much info.

Regards,
Bruce
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

MerlinJones wrote: It was the wondering whether or not I was posting too much info.
Yes too much info, too many pictures, too many useful tips, I have to read them all and never get anything built :roll: :ha:

Never too much info Bruce, I enjoy reading them all, wish I could could write and document as well.

Cheers
Jim

Return to “Small Talk”