Silver Kits

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Chuck E
Established 1949

Silver Kits

Post by Chuck E »

Some of my large collection of old model kits finished in silver paint. These are the biplanes. I must have a photo session one day. I have loads of these kits. It's an easy way to reduce the older kits in the stash and improve your build rates.

So many models, so little time.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Silver Kits

Post by beany »

Those look superb mate, I really must have a go at that, but maybe try Gold or even Gun Metal finishes as well. Thanks for the inspiration - I'll definitely give you a credit in the photos if I ever finish one (don't hold your breath though). I may even have a go on other subjects, cars or motorbikes may work.

Cheers mate
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

They are really easy to knock out too. I find that the old Matchbox and Airfix kits look really good like this. The heavier detail looks OK under a coat of silver paint. Here's a quick run down of the builds.

Find an old kit and build it. You don't need to add all the internals, so that makes it a quick build. Clean up the completed kit and add the stores, tanks etc. A single coat of Halford's grey primer. A quick polish and a second coat of primer to ensure a good coat. Leave to dry overnight. A single coat of Halford's aluminium. Another little polish to smooth and a final coat of aluminium. That does the job, but a coat of Klear will seal the finish in. I don't do this, as I have had very little trouble with tarnishing and I like to see them looking nice and bright.

I may try some pewter paint on one soon, but I'm not going to respay the lot. I have over 100 of them. Biplanes always look very nice. The Airfix Bulldog is a really nice kit and looks superb in silver.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Its certainly an interesting idea.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Some more here. I'll have a photo shoot soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23594891@N ... 896854789/;
MackemPete
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by MackemPete »

Love it!!!!!
How do you do the roundals and codes on the last one on flickr?
I'm going to do one!!!!
What do you use to polish between coats?
Cheers
Pete
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Actually Pete, that is a real pewter kit I picked up at a show for a couple of quid. You can find some old Revell kits in their classics range that have the markings actually engraved. Quite a few of the old kits did. Otherwise just use a compass with a scribing point and stencils.

I use foam buffers to polish up all my models. These are the ones. Available from beauty shops anywhere, or from me at £1.00 a pad. Post free over £5.00. ( Plug !!! ) The white one smoothes down the plastic and primer coats and the grey one polishes the initial silver coat. I always use Halford's Acrylic grey primer and Aluminium. The rattle cans are not that cheap, ( £6.99 ) but there's enough for dozens of models. Keep the paint warm and shake it really well. I can see a workshop thread is needed.

MackemPete
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by MackemPete »

When you say I can buy from you, I take it you have a shop. I think it's about time I had you bookmarked.
Link please!
Cheers
Pete
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I don't have a shop Pete, but I get these from a local warehouse and sell them on to modellers at shows. I've posted a few out to folks on the Forum. Just PM if you want any and I'll send 'em on. I'm only down the road from you in Darlington.

Return to “Small Talk”