Scale Panel Lines

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Scale Panel Lines

Post by AndrewR »

Softscience wrote:Restraint is the key like you both say. That goes for shading, and panel washes. A well done, subtle wash can break up the monotony of a finish. But what do most people do? They take a white model and give it a black wash. Then the thing ends up looking like a zebra.
Like this you mean? :-D:

Why do I keep thinking of Jimmy Carter whenever I use the :-D emoticon?
Up in the Great White North
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

hahahahaha. That does look like his big grin, eh?
Chris

Post by Chris »

They make the kits from an artistic point of view, recessed lines look better in small scale.

Its always been style over substance as all of us who lived through the rivet era can testify too.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by johnsan »

Brews wrote:Here is a case for raised panel lines - lines which are recessed on the Hobbyboss MS 406!!!!
Brews - I think only the old Heller MS 406 kit got that right in 72nd. Hasegawa certainly didn't. Special Hobby did the wings right in 32nd, but missed the raised piano hinges on the fuselage sides.

My preference for surface detail is recessed lines, but they need to be delicate. Too wide or too deep make the finished kit look too much like a die cast. I'd much rather raised panel lines than overly recessed lines.
Really nothing pithy to say.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by johnsan »

Forgot all about the Frog kit. That's really not that hard for me to do actually.

You'll get no argument from me that the Hobby Boss kit can look pretty good. I'd never accuse it of having detail though.

Converted to a D-3801. Added raised panel detail. It's not a bad kit, but it does lack detail.
Really nothing pithy to say.

Return to “Small Talk”