How to tell what is a new tool kit?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How to tell what is a new tool kit?

Post by Eric Mc »

It can be very tricky to ascertain what is an old mould and what is a new mould. For most of us, experience of the manufacturer's product range and their normal practices usually serves as a warning as to whether a "new" kit is really "brand new" or just a "re-release" of a golden or not so golden oldie. Even with that knowledge, I have still been caught out a couple of times - mainly with Revell as it so happens.
Keeping an eye on magazine release listings usually helps as they are fairly au fait with what is what.

As has been said, Airfix and Revell are the main offenders simply because they have a massive back-catalogue. But Hasegawa, Heller and even Tamiya release lots of older toolings. It gets even more confusing with all the lending and buying/selling of moulds between different manufacturers.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

And when you build the new tool Spitfire, check out Jssel's build thread on the old site:

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=45;

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
MackemPete
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by MackemPete »

Thanks guys, so far when I've bought a kit it's been because I was near the model shop and bought whatever took my fancy!
I now know a little research and a few questions will be the way I buy them now.
Thanks for the link Andrew, I'm at the painting stage now and going to put a few more pics up later.
Cheers
Pete

Return to “Small Talk”