Real and true excitement...over a model kit!

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Real and true excitement...over a model kit!

Post by Softscience »

and the follow up question(s): How do we regain that excitement, and is pursuing it only going to push it further away?
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

You don't need to pursue it because something will be along, sooner or later, that really does it for you. The ones that really stand out in my memory are the Trimaster Me262, Dynavector TSR-2 and the Airfix Seafire FR46/ 47. The Trimaster kits were, at the time, something very special and the 262 was for me the pick of the bunch. Opening the box was like looking into the future of plastic kits, and parts were being snipped from the sprues within half an hour of getting it home. The Dynavector was clearly a labour of love and is still the only kit of the TSR-2 worth having. Mine turned up quite unexpectedly at a show under the tables at the time when everybody was waiting for the 1/48 Airfix one to be released. Several people actually said "you do know Airfix are releasing one of those don't you?". Miss the point much? The Seafire was the one I had always wanted ever since seeing a picture of one as a very small boy, and I rushed out to buy one as soon as they hit the shops. You just never know when the next big thing is going to turn up, but you can be pretty sure that it will arrive.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I agree with Steve on the non-pursuance! Such are the skills of some kit makers promo departments, many of whom wouldn't know a model if Naomi Campbell walked through the door, that much anticipation can be cultivated, whilst we await the latest release.
Of course, once we get our hands on the beast, it rarely matches expectations.
I am one of the few who is increasingly underwhelmed by the new Airfix and I was really looking forward to the new Sabres. True, they are very nice, fun kits, with some great detail touches, but lack the finesse of modern kittery shown by Hasegawa and Zvezda...or even Hobby Boss!

I'm thinking just how lovely it is to be pleasantly surprised. Recently, the Zvezda Hind fiots that category, but I have a couple of Aeroclub biplane kits in The Stash and, after the Gamecock I made a while back, I get all tingly at the thought of building those.

Regards,
Bruce
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

MerlinJones wrote:.
I am one of the few who is increasingly underwhelmed by the new Airfix

Its not just you. There are certainly some nice ones in the bunch (Canberra, spit XII, BF109, Sea Vixen), and if they were all up to the standards of those just mentioned, I would have a much lest ho-hum reaction to each new release
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:I am one of the few who is increasingly underwhelmed by the new Airfix
You should really be "decreasingly underwhelmed by the new Airfix", as they are improving since Hornby's initial efforts. :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

JamesPerrin wrote:
MerlinJones wrote:I am one of the few who is increasingly underwhelmed by the new Airfix
You should really be "decreasingly underwhelmed by the new Airfix", as they are improving since Hornby's initial efforts. :mrgreen:
Perhaps I should, but I ain't and I don't think they are....disappointingly.

Regards,
Bruce
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

They certainly need to get a handle on those panel lines :shock:
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

My most exciting kit build was in 1991 when I built the Tamiya Lancaster but after 20 of them
and everyone got better more complex more accurate... I'm sick of them !!!
mariow
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by mariow »

MerlinJones wrote:
JamesPerrin wrote:
Perhaps I should, but I ain't and I don't think they are....disappointingly.

Regards,
Bruce
I quite liked the testshots of the new Stringbag, actually.

Let's not forget Airfix doesn't cater first and foremost for the advanced modeller. These constitute maybe 20% of their sales. They want to regain the youth, get them into this hobby again before it dies out with us dinosaurs!
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

There's always room for ONE more kit!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
TheRat
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by TheRat »

AndrewR wrote: Basil: May I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains?
Mrs. Richards: Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky.
Mrs. Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well, then, may I suggest you move to a hotel nearer the sea? [mutters] Or preferably in it.
Mrs Richards: What?
Basil: Nothing.

Fawlty Towers
"Is this a piece of your brain?" :ha:
Ross_Mac
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ross_Mac »

Every time I open the lid. Of anything. Don't mean diddly the name on the box, it's a kit!
If you want specifics i'd be hard-pressed to choose between the SBD, Mozzie, Spit, Mustang or F-14. That covers Revell, Rev/Matchbox and Airfix.
When life lets me have time on the bench is enough to ramp up the excitement.
Yeah, yeah, I've mentioned Hase/Ita/AccMin, yet they're only ever seen 'side court'. I'm a traditionalist. Death to the heretics!

Regards all
Ross
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

TheRat wrote:
AndrewR wrote: Basil: May I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains?
Mrs. Richards: Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky.
Mrs. Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well, then, may I suggest you move to a hotel nearer the sea? [mutters] Or preferably in it.
Mrs Richards: What?
Basil: Nothing.

Fawlty Towers
"Is this a piece of your brain?" :ha:
See the old joke thread... :)
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Small Talk”