Best value kit?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Chris

Re: Best value kit?

Post by Chris »

PaulBradley wrote:
Chris wrote: None of that seems excessive to me.
Presumably, you wouldn't buy any that would seem excessive... ;-)

Anyways, that was a good price on your '109 - I've been keeping an eye open for one but they've all been 'excesive' to this point! :ha:
The 109 was a lucky shot, nobody had bid on her and I got her for the opening bid, normally i see taht one for $50 and up.

You are correct that i won't bid excessive, to me there is no 'age markup', the older kits are often not as good and should not cost more despite the imaginary 'collector's value'.
Chris

Post by Chris »

English Electric wrote:
Chris wrote:This year I bought a Matchbox B-17G for $12.80

A Frog martin maryland for $8.50

A Frog BF-109F for $4

Last year, i picked up a Matchbox 1/32 BF 109E for $7.50

None of that seems excessive to me.
That's pretty good for the B-17G - that, and the Lanc, seem to go for a lot of money here - probably because they haven't been reissued since Matchbox folded. Saying that, the Wellington seems to command high prices, despite a Revell re-issue!!
I see them for about $20 or more american on ebay, but sometimes you get bargins such as i did.

I even snagged a Aurora Tiger tank, that isquite often seen at $50-$70 range for only $12 once.
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

Revell 1/48th Boeing B-17G first produced in 1975 ,still accurate,great detail inside and out and a joy to construct. Picked one up recently for £20.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Any of the HobbyBoss easy build kits, I enjoyed the Sabre and Wild Cat @ about £5 you can't go wrong.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

bluesteel wrote:For me it would have to be the Revell 1/72nd WWI series of kits that have mostly been re-released now, I think I paid £2.99 each. That has to be good value for money.

ive got agree with that..........a while ago my local model shop had a stack of revell and academy ww1 kits......£2.99 each......i snafled a few, no idea why cos its not the sort of thing i do!.......currently doing a Spad......for 3 quid and probably less than 50p worth of paint it is good value for money and is a great way of idling away some time whilst something on the main project is drying or setting

mind you my current main project is even better.........cost me nothing!....all the bits either given, found or scrounged :-D .....2 weeks worth of fun and games for about 2 quids worth of filler, glue and paint..bargain!

but it works the other way.....i once had a major project on the go......and i had to have a Revell 1/24 car transporter trailer........rare as hens teeth (rare = expensive on ebay)......took me a year to track one down and cost nearly £40.......it went with a truck and 6 cars so that cost another @£100, which i had already built.........big 'investment' cash wise.....and time wise since the whole thing took over a year in between other projects...........but the satisfaction when it was all done was brilliant, felt like i had acheived something and so its collective value in that way was incalculable............thing is i now have nowhere to put it cos its nearly a metre long!...all packed away in storage :sad:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Simply going by available kits at RRP, I would say that the new Airfix Spitfire 1a in 1/72nd is excellent value. I'm also very pleased with the Revell 1/32nd Hunters and Hawk T1a. These are very good value considering the amount of nice plastic you get for your money.

Generally speaking, I find a lot of Airfix's new and re-released kits good value. Considering that you can buy 3 - 4 Spitfires for the same price as some of the other new issues of Spitfires from other manufacturers. I particularly like the new Harriers, Sea Harriers and Sabres. Roll on their new re-tools.

I reckon that, in general, Airfix and Revell offer the best value around and Eduard are right up there too as far as Value for Money goes.
So many models, so little time.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Good point re the Revell 1/32 Hunters...I've only seen that FGA.9 but it is a great kit, good fit in most places and a relatively simple build...when I first saw it on the shelf at the price, I thought it must have been 1/48 in an oversize box...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Small Talk”