Best value kit?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Best value kit?

Post by PaulBradley »

Value is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose and that's really what the thread is about. As we all have different values and definitions of values, there seems to be little point in arguing about it; just accept others' opinions as is - it's their value system at work, not yours!

As someone who rarely buys full-price kits, for me the BEST values are from sale kits that I want. I got the Revell Germany 1/32 Eurofighter Typhoon for a song when Squadron had it on sale a few months ago. Then there are the bargains to be had at model shows, classic Airfix/Frog/Matchbox in particular. Getting those for a couple of bucks is excellent value to me.

Bruce WP - I should have qualified that by mentioning Revell Germany own moulds in particular. You can get the original Matchboxes for next to nothing at shows over here, so the RG re-issues are not the best value in that respect.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

PaulBradley wrote:You can get the original Matchboxes for next to nothing at shows over here
Interesting you say that. It must be a local thing, because I see almost no Matchbox at shows here. If I did, I'd buy them. :)

Jim
Read my inane modeling writings at:
http://ascalecanadian.com
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

If we're going to quantify value of a kit, then I would do it in the number of hours of enjoyable build time per dollar spent. The opens up the second can of worms of defining enjoyable build time.

But with that in mind, something like Tamiya's Char I bis was a great value for me, even though it cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 US. It took me about two weeks worth of two to three hour sessions to complete it; and if memory serves, those sessions were generally fun.

Therefore, if the time spent to compete the kit was approximately 30 hours, it cost me $2.50 US per hour of fun. Thats pretty darn good.

Certainly a lot less per hour than I would spend at a pub or going SCUBA diving; my other major hobbies :)
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

interesting discussion; i've had to think about this one. of course its going to be subjective and, to a large extent, based on personal building preferences but i would suggest the following that, for me, are the best value kits i know, and would recommend them to anybody:

1/72 Plane: Revell Tornado RAF GR1; it just looks right
1/48 Plane: Eduard weekend edition world war 1 german planes; great fit, nice subjects, change from £10
ships: Tamiya HMS Nelson / Rodney; fine, elegant, british, complex enough to be interetsing
others: Dragon 35th FlaK 88; incredible kit

of course, anyone can disagree !
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Stamford »

The Revell Hunter is an impressive lot for a few quid.
running at the edge of their world
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

For me its about what i get for my money,now im not saying im tight but a lot of what ive bought have been special price offers.1/48th Canberras for 15 quid a lot of plastic for the money.I would have to go with the 1/24th Mosquito,loads of parts (600 plus) very accurate and a hell of a lot of bench time for your money.
BEEN A WHILE
arni
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by arni »

For me it would be A.M.T. car kits,as they often have two complete engines and up to three sets of wheels and tyres in a box.
The Revell ex Monogram kits are pretty good for this too. :lol:
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter.

Low price? Depends, but generally yes.

Good decals? Excellent decals and with it's numerous reincarnations, lots to choose from.

Enjoyable build? Best build that I can recall. No putty and little seam work on mine.

Lots of options? Various available.

Accurate model? I believe yes. Based on drawing I have seen.

To add on the airjim's comments. In the States, CBK's can be had for little cost because generally no one wants the little orphans. But not everywhere and sometimes you get lucky. Last year I purchased a whole box of Matchbox and FROG for under a buck a kit. The vendor says, take 'em, nobody wants 'em. it was enough to make you weep. But not me, I laughed all the way to my trunk.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Chris

Post by Chris »

If that guy thought there was no bemand for matchbox or frog kits, he didn't deserve to be in business.

A quick look at ebay sees them constantly being sold at decent prices.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Chris wrote:A quick look at ebay sees them constantly being sold at decent prices.
What I see more of is a lot being offered at unreasonable prices - just because they are old, it doesn't always mean they are ****RARE!!!!***** :roll:
Paul

Chris

Post by Chris »

This year I bought a Matchbox B-17G for $12.80

A Frog martin maryland for $8.50

A Frog BF-109F for $4

Last year, i picked up a Matchbox 1/32 BF 109E for $7.50

None of that seems excessive to me.
English Electric
Getting well comfy!

Post by English Electric »

Chris wrote:This year I bought a Matchbox B-17G for $12.80

A Frog martin maryland for $8.50

A Frog BF-109F for $4

Last year, i picked up a Matchbox 1/32 BF 109E for $7.50

None of that seems excessive to me.
That's pretty good for the B-17G - that, and the Lanc, seem to go for a lot of money here - probably because they haven't been reissued since Matchbox folded. Saying that, the Wellington seems to command high prices, despite a Revell re-issue!!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Chris wrote: None of that seems excessive to me.
Presumably, you wouldn't buy any that would seem excessive... ;-)

Anyways, that was a good price on your '109 - I've been keeping an eye open for one but they've all been 'excesive' to this point! :ha:
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

For me it would have to be the Revell 1/72nd WWI series of kits that have mostly been re-released now, Fokker Eindekker, Sopwith Triplane, DH2 etc. Even though they are 1960's vintage, the moulds seem to have lasted. The fit is quite good with not too much flash. With a small amount of effort they make up into quite respectable little models and, in the UK, I think I paid £2.99 each. That has to be good value for money.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Airfix 1/24 Scale Junkers Ju.87 Stuka

Low price? Even at current eBay prices you can get one for £40 - £50, a lot cheaper than some Trumpeter offerings for similar or even smaller scale aircraft.
I have two and would consider a third and fourth even for the right price.

Good decals? I had no trouble with the Airfix supplied ones and even enjoyed putting them on, not something that is usually the highlight of my building experience. I have the Montex Masks for the tropical version with the big snake down the side for the second one I have.

Enjoyable build? OMG yes, a superb, huge kit to build and paint.

Lots of options? Not as such as supplied, but hey, it's a Stuka - do a bit of research and some modelling to get what you want from it!

Accurate model? No idea, I've never flown one, and on the occasions I've seen the one at Hendon I didn't have a tape measure with me. I have plenty of footage of WWII Stukas and there is nothing that immediately strikes me as being "Wrong" about the 1/24 offering, and I'm not enough of a purist to worry if there was - although if it was something I could correct, I'd probably have a go, I'm not averse to a bit of modelling with my kit building.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Small Talk”