Have you ever found a kit so horrible...

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
MrDyzio
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Have you ever found a kit so horrible...

Post by MrDyzio »

Bierezniak-Isayev BI-1 released first by unknown Russian maker, then Modelist, recently Eastern Express. Horrible fit.
Somehow I managed to finish it BI-1
My modeling Blog Dyzio Scale Models
Viking

Post by Viking »

some weird russian kit from Gran of the Su 15 Flagon; i always loved the shape of the plane so, of course, i bought it just before the Trumpeter kit came out ! it looks and feels like the moulds have been hacked from wood with a chainsaw and then filled with cement not plastic. of course, the fact that i still havnt built the trumpeter kit is neither here nor there ! :)
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

A Starfix Spitfire is my particular baddie. As I collect all things Spitfire shaped, I picked one up cheap somewhere. Wrong scale, totally spurious shape and panels and two fuselage halves for the same side ! It really is dreadful and gives me a good example of a useless kit. One so bad that it cannot be built.

I had some awful VEB Plasticart models too. Some were OK and buildable, being clean moulded and just needing a bit of detailing, but the Aero 45 was no more than a badly moulded toy. The kids got it to throw about the garden. It looked like a 30's sci-fi plane. Maybe I should have made it that way.
So many models, so little time.
Colin
Getting well comfy!

Post by Colin »

The Mach 2 HH43 Huskie was a real dog - even though I was converting it to a Thunderbirds Helijet

The Imai Sky 1 - I think it fair to say it was the definitively inaccurate

Toyway 1/25 Chieftain - a cheap and nasty knock-off of the Tamiya kit - the engine grilles were moulded back to front, the suspension members were made of a nasty brittle plastic that collapsed under the weight of the model and the drive sprockets whe assembled had misaligned teeth so that the tracks would be shed as soon as the model moved
kerensasdad
Getting well comfy!

Post by kerensasdad »

I'm going out on a limb here but I've never found a kit so bad I've not been able to rescue it. For instance the KP L-39 mentioned previously. With a little effort
I made a couple which turned out pretty darn good. In fact one was sold on eBay for not a bad little sum!
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Airfix Gloster Gladiator.
Several broken struts angered me, misaligned panel lines infuriated me and the future silver dope finish will make me quite miffed.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

Novo (ex-Frog?) Vickers Vimy, all wing struts where of differing lengths. Built eventually as an usual mono plane, before its maiden flight into the bin!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
BillyJ
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by BillyJ »

Dragon 1/72 Tiger 1 with zimmeret & Dragon 1/72 Panther - both bought from a dealer at SMW 2007.
Both a POS with tracks which did not reach all the way round, and the Panther turret was a joke.

Eventually dumped both on a well known auction site for a nice profit.

Concur with comments thus far re Airfix's Churchill too.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I bought some unknown resin kit of the Miles M20 a good few years ago after getting exciting by looking at ARBA's AW52 which w/couldn't afford. One fuselage half was badly warped and 1/4 shorter than the other halve, vague looking lumps for everything else. Before I discovered CMR and what resin kits should be like.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MrDyzio

Post by MrDyzio »

Brews wrote:
BillyJ wrote:Dragon 1/72 Tiger 1 with zimmeret & Dragon 1/72 Panther - both bought from a dealer at SMW 2007.
Both a POS with tracks which did not reach all the way round, and the Panther turret was a joke.
Really? Comments like that are going to raise eyebrows, because:

Revell got the hull angles of the Panther awfully wrong
Also commander's cupola has wrong number of visors...
My modeling Blog Dyzio Scale Models
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

The 1/72 scale Airfix Concorde, fit issues aside, the quality of the plastic itself was terrible akin to drink bottle type plastic and given it is a relaltively new kit by a major producer it was just shocking. I ended up building it as it cost a bit but I did it as a What if RAF version to give me more leeway to get around the faults.

Return to “Small Talk”