Humbrol single action airbrush.

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
arni
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Humbrol single action airbrush.

Post by arni »

Or all purpose as they describe it on the package.I have a reasonable double action brush that I get on well with,but I decided today to buy the Humbrol brush purely for spraying car shells.

Once home I thinned some Tamiya XF-49 Khaki (using Tesco screenwash) and gave an old shell a test blast,now this shell has some paint on it all ready as well as magic leprechaun moon dust amongst other things. :ha:
So I just fired away at it,here is the result.

I dont know if it is chance or design...But the A/B thread matches that on a Tamiya paint jar,so I am going to cut the pickup tube down to match a Tammy jar! It only cost £13 so if you dont have an airbrush and am thinking about it I would recommend giving this cheap little brush a try,here it is btw. :grin:
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: Humbrol single action airbrush.

Post by BWP »

To be technical it's not an "airbrush" it's a "spraygun". Of course the practical difference is pretty minor but I suspect it's to differentiate between those devices that have the potential for fine control and those that don't.

The big disadvantage with this sort of brush (I would think) is that it will go through an awful lot of paint, a fair chunk of which will not hit the intended target.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
arni

Post by arni »

I see where you are coming from Bruce,but it will only be used for spraying car shells and floorpans ect.Anything else will either be rattle canned or sprayed with my double action A/B. :grin:
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

For those of you who brush paint, a tool such as this is a good investment, if simply for applying clear coat. An airbrushed coat of flat or semigloss, on top of brush painted paint, goes a long way to decreasing the visibility of brush marks. And its markedly easier to spray a clear coat than it is to try and brush it on

At 13 pounds you have little to loose?
arni

Post by arni »

Softscience wrote:For those of you who brush paint, a tool such as this is a good investment, if simply for applying clear coat. An airbrushed coat of flat or semigloss, on top of brush painted paint, goes a long way to decreasing the visibility of brush marks. And its markedly easier to spray a clear coat than it is to try and brush it on

At 13 pounds you have little to loose?
Good point Soft Science,I first used one like this in the 80's on aircraft.It was amazing to me the difference it made to the finish!
I know for a fact that this brush will get a lot of use for big jobs.

I have a Catalina in the stash,itwill be perfect for spraying that beastie..LOL :ha:
Ross_Mac
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ross_Mac »

Yeppers, have one. Acksherly, two; one in 'Sky' (a really old one) and one in black. The mutt's avocados for a quick clear (Future) coat w/out faffing about with the double-action.
Picked up on the Tamiya jar fit very early on.

Regards

Ross

Return to “Small Talk”