Worst value ?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Worst value ?

Post by Softscience »

johnsan wrote:Kind of weird. You can find the original F-15 in Japanese shops. They sell at the original price. You can also find newer releases with special releases. These sell at much higher prices, usually twice the price. F-4s are only in newer boxings and at the higher prices.

And I envy you greatly for that. The US price hike is on the part of the importer (not entirely, but mostly). I really wish Hasegawa kits were not as expensive as they are, because they do have some nice models.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

The Wyvern kits in 1/72 and 1/48 are complex, and the prop assembly on the 1/72 is definitely over-engineered, but of all the Trumpeter aircraft kits I have had my hands on they're the best of the bunch by a long way and not particularly bad value at UK prices though how much they retail for in Oz I must admit I have no idea. Compared to their Sea Furies they're actually a bit of a snip. That complex prop on the 1/72, incidentally, translates into a fully working contraprop assembly on the 1/48 kit - very clever. Don't tell Merlin, he'll motorize one by tea time.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

That actually sounds really fun
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by johnsan »

Softscience wrote:
johnsan wrote:Kind of weird. You can find the original F-15 in Japanese shops. They sell at the original price. You can also find newer releases with special releases. These sell at much higher prices, usually twice the price. F-4s are only in newer boxings and at the higher prices.

And I envy you greatly for that. The US price hike is on the part of the importer (not entirely, but mostly). I really wish Hasegawa kits were not as expensive as they are, because they do have some nice models.
There are factors for importers. I said Hasegawa's prices for kits pretty much haven't increased. That doesn't mean they don't cost more for me. I get paid in US dollars. In 2008, the dollar was running 110 yen to the dollar. Today, it's 80 yen to the dollar. So, yeah, the kit costs me more and it's not Hasegawa's fault.

Importers run into the same problem. The yen is relatively strong against other currencies. It costs them more for product.
Really nothing pithy to say.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Just to echo what John says, the Dollar bought 123 Yen in 2002 - following the recent earthquke it reached a low of 76. That will affect the prices of everything coming out of Japan.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mariow
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by mariow »

m1ks wrote:My personal annoyance and dislike is kits which aren't such great quality, (Matchbox Vincent HRD black shadow), but go for utterly stupid money on ebay and the like which leads to another bugbear, that being people who buy and store 'collectible' kits, They are there to be built, fair enough, add to a stash, but please, not a cupboard where they'll not see the light of day again till resold at auction or on ebay or gotten rid of by some unrealising or ungrateful in law after they've been inherited.
Just because collecting isn't your personal cup of tea doesn't mean anybody else doing it is wrong. To each his own.

Unfortunately for you the simple rules of demand and supply are at work here: if enough people want something and supply is limited the price will rise. Think of it this way: collectors at least don't ruin a perfectly good kit, leaving them to be built or collected by the next generation. And if you're lucky, you'll be able to buy it at a dump price from 'some unrealising or ungrateful in law'. Collecting with an investment in mind is a dead-end anyway...
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

There's always room for ONE more kit!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Return to “Small Talk”