Why re-invent the wheel? (New Tools)

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Chris

Re: Why re-invent the wheel? (New Tools)

Post by Chris »

kerfuffle..a common fuss.

I had to look that up!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

See, you learned something new today - who says modelling isn't edumacational? :ha: Take the rest of the day off. :-D
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

BWP wrote:
Softscience wrote:I wonder if Airfix/Hornby marketing is aware that "serious" modelers will turn to manufacturers with a better reputation for accuracy when it comes to the often kitted types (spits, mustangs, harriers, etc.)
Well there's a couple of issues in that statement, aren't there?

Firstly, what's a "serious" modeller? I consider myself fairly serious and I'm not going to disregard Airfix as a brand if I'm looking for a particular subject, until I know more about the pros and cons of the specific kit. I'm sure there are folks out there who automatically turn up their noses at Airfix, but you can't help ignorance (because that's what it is). There are bad Airfix kits, as we all know; there are also lots of good Airfix kits, and any "serious" modeller ought to know that too.

Secondly, if I'm a "serious" modeller interested in, say, Spitfires, then when anyone releases a new Spitfire kit I'm going to check it out. From everything I've read about the new Airfix Spitfire kits, there's very little to make Mr. I'm-so-serious scoff, especially when he does a double-take at the price. Whatever minor flaws the kits might have are surely no trouble for the "serious" modeller. I feel pretty confident in saying that there's no such thing as a "perfect" kit from any manufacturer, i.e., no accuracy flaws whatsoever.

Thirdly, if we accept that Airfix has a "bad rep" in certain modelling circles, and if we further accept that Airfix might actually care about that, then the only way they will improve that reputation is by replacing the old, sad, tired kits with shiny new ones. However, they also are presumably aware that their major sales are to the "casual" modellers, so the kits have to be acceptable to those who are more interested in building the kits, and thus don't want overly-complex exercises (at least, not at the lower end of the price scale).

I think that Hornby have demonstrated with most of their recent releases that they can do all of this. Is there room for improvement? Probably, but I haven't seen any evidence to date to indicate that they're not making the effort. I'm as eager for the exotic Farley Fruitbat as anyone, but I don't object to new Spitfires, Hurricanes or what-have-you, even if they aren't of specific interest to me. To me, it shows overall good health.

If I have anything to whine about, it's their reluctance to retire any of their 1/76 AFV line. The new Cromwell looks great. The thought that they're re-issuing the rather nasty T-34 at the same time is not a cause for celebration.
Correct on all three counts, but I'm painting in broad marketing strokes here. By serious modeler, I'm refering to the type of guy (often middle aged, and with a modicum of disposable income) who is inclined to purchase top of the line kits, aftermarket decals, PE, resin and the works. Mind you I'm not criticizing these folks, as I admire their devotion to their craft. BUT, these guys, for the most part, are not going to bat an eye when there is a new airfix release. Don't believe me? Go on to Modeling Madness, and see the responses generated by Tom Cleaver's review of the new Spitfire XII.

To them, and airfix kit is a toy and not a model to sink hundreds of dollars and hours into.

So I ask again, why should Airfix bother catering to this portion of the market, when doing so would drive their production costs up, and make them potentially loose the casual modeler, or intermediate modeler (or whatever the majority of us are) who in aggregate, generates considerably more income for Hornby.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Softscience wrote:By serious modeler, I'm refering to the type of guy (often middle aged, and with a modicum of disposable income) who is inclined to purchase top of the line kits, aftermarket decals, PE, resin and the works. Mind you I'm not criticizing these folks, as I admire their devotion to their craft. BUT, these guys, for the most part, are not going to bat an eye when there is a new airfix release. Don't believe me?
I believe you that such people exist. I don't believe that their undoubted online verbosity equates to actual significant market share. I would have no hesitation in criticising such people, because they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. I'm sure they consider themselves "elite" but the reality is that they're a very minor minority.
To them, and airfix kit is a toy and not a model to sink hundreds of dollars and hours into.
So who cares? They are not buying any Airfix kits any way, and Airfix would very likely be better off not having them as customers. Who needs that grief?
So I ask again, why should Airfix bother catering to this portion of the market
They shouldn't; what makes you think they are? Just because a new Airfix kit features (gasp) a cockpit does not mean it's "marketed to the too-serious-to-be-taken-seriously modeller". If new Airfix kits came equipped with extreme PE and resin and were priced like a limited-run Hasegewa kit, maybe you'd be right.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

There's only one reason for doing a new tool - because there will be a positive return on investment; eventually Airfix will make more profit on kits from that tool than it costs to make the tool in the first place.

1/72 Spitfires are small kits that sell in high volumes; they'll generate a positive RoI within a relatively short time. Sea Vixens are big and complex; Valiants are big. It'll take rather longer to generate a positive RoI. If Airfix ONLY cared about profitability, they'd only re-tool kits that go into profit quickly. The fact that they are prepared to do Sea Vixens and Valiants suggests that in the interests of us "more serious" modellers, and their own "brand values," they are prepared to run a portfolio of kits with some cash cows and some longer-term investments that they can rely on being "the only game in town" with for years to come.

Airfix has three main assets beyond their tool bank:
1) Massive "brand equity": Airfix is still synonymous with plastic kit, and will sell to Auntie Flo and non-modelling Dads in a way that Revell (their closest rival in terms of mass-market traction) just won't.
2) Distribution: you can find Airfix kits in hobby shops, like Revells and Hasegawa,s but you can also find them (in small-town Ilkley) in WH Smiths, the Art Shop and Boyes... easy to find, easy to buy, for anyone
3) Corgi: they DON'T, whatever some may say, use the same tools for die casts as for plastic kits (or indeed for Scalextric cars and kits). However, Corgi has a high margin business for collectors, which means that they can invest in research, measuring up, photography and CAD drawings, which make the whole process of tool development for Airfix kits significantly easier and cheaper than it would be as a standalone business.

Given the above, I think Airfix's marketing strategy is pretty spot on: focus on tooling up new kits that will be big sellers through their wide distribution and high brand recognition factor, which means above all FAMILIAR subjects; and leaven the portfolio with the occasional more risky kit designed to tackle an unfilled slot in the market for "more serious" modellers.

And on the familiarity front...
As Bruce has pointed out in the past, when we were kids modelling in the 70s, WW2 was something our Grandparents could tell us about fighting in; Biggles books were in every newsagent and bookshop; Where Eagles Dare and The Longest Day were on TV every other Sunday; and there were Wagon Wheels still for tea. Teenage boys could tell a Stuka from Sturmovik. And even Mum knew about Spitfires and Messerschmitts.

These days, that's all ancient history. Young Johnny and Auntie Flo still know about Spitfires and Messerschmitts... but Harriers are what they see on the news. The Art Shop guy bought a mixed bag of Gift Sets. The Spitfire Mk 1s disappeared with a week or two; the Aston Martin DB5s a month or so... but the Gazelles are still there. That says to me "new tool Spitfires are a good idea, but don't bother reworking 1970s helicopters that are coming to the end of their lives..."

So, much as some of us might like to see the entire Airfix '77 catalogue refreshed with new state of the art tools, it ain't going to happen. It'll be interesting to see IF we get a new-tool 1/72 Defiant. Corgi has done one, and it's one of the worst of all "old" Airfix kits - but no one other than aviation buffs have heard of it, and and even they know that the thing was hardly a stellar performer. If Airfix do one, it'll be because they really quite badly want to "sanitise" their tooling portfolio, not because it'll have a positive RoI any time soon...

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've split the conversation about the actual BP Defiant off. Please continue it here

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=708;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

JamesPerrin wrote:I've split the conversation about the actual BP Defiant off. Please continue it here

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=708;
Good idea.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

Interesting points here. Airfix identify us ‘serious’ modellers as 15% of their market; the vast majority is to the casual or inexperienced modeller. Auntie Flo likes gift sets (because they’re seen as ‘better’ presents) and that gets them into all kinds of non-modelling outlets. While it is desirable for Airfix to be seen to be improving their kits, they won’t be including resin or PE because those kits could not be marketed for Little Johnny. Matt and Paul have succinctly put how the volume kits support our pet subjects. It’s a compromise like everything in life.
New tools are not created on a whim. It takes around four years from concept to product on shelves. Airfix must have a long term plan that none of us can know. Yes, they like to tease us with promises of forthcoming goodies, but the 2015 catalogue will probably be known by Darrell Burge (and a few others), but not by many others. I did a rough count, and since Hornby took over the brand more than 50 newly tooled kits that have hit the shops. It’s almost like the halcyon days are back.
I thought they might take the opportunity to re-tool the 1/76 vehicles to 1/72, but they see 1/76 as their niche and the new Bedfords and forthcoming Cromwell assert that. That said they will soon be branching into 1/48 too. On the subject of panel lines, yes the early Hornby tools were almost Matchbox in their trench-likeness, but they have improved. This has been a learning curve because basically four people went from the Humbrol administration (Trevor Snowden included) to Hornby and with new toolmakers in India and China; a learning curve has been experienced. Al ‘Beany’ will confirm that the R&D guys are enthusiastic and passionate about their projects and the brand. I believe we are witnessing Airfix’s brightest future for 30 years.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Ratch wrote:I thought they might take the opportunity to re-tool the 1/76 vehicles to 1/72, but they see 1/76 as their niche and the new Bedfords and forthcoming Cromwell assert that.
Don't forget that Airfix now have the JB Models stuff to play with and I expect they'll want to tap into that rich seam for as long as. The new 1/48 AFV line is a brave move and, given the love of 1/48 amongst modellers in general, there's a fair chance they'll do rather well out of it.
Ratch wrote:On the subject of panel lines, yes the early Hornby tools were almost Matchbox in their trench-likeness, but they have improved.
Oooh, careful Ratch...I've got a rather bruised soapbox a-quivering in the corner! :mrgreen:

Many valid points have been discussed in here so far and I'm pleased by the general civility of participants...Good stuff.
Interest continues....

Thing is, M'box have a deserved reputation for heavy panel lines, although those of us who regularly build Matchbox kits know that many have quite sensible panel lines and the Sabre, as one example, far surpasses the Airfix Sabre, re a lack of trenches. Matchbox got their act together eventually, sometime back in the early 80's. It is now 2011 and it seems a bit late for 'learning curves', although I do appreciate the histories of the current toolmakers will influence them, just as those who worked for Lesney were influenced by their past experiences.

My original post used the new-tool Airfix Harrier has an example, because, dated though the old stuff might be, I really do not see how the new-tool is an improvement on it. We know that old tools can be re-vitalised, as per the Jetstream, for example and new weapon sprues can be added, as happened with the Jaguar, (which still compares favourably with the competition).

Rather than a new-tool Harrier, perhaps a new-tool Battle or Defiant might have been an option. That said, I appreciate that such subjects would not sell as well as Harriers and, if the 'lessons learnt' weren't and the new Harriers needed a total re-think, then at least Hornby-Airfix had the decent old ones as a Plan B. Such would not be the case of a new Battle or Defiant had gone belly skyward.

Mixing with this Forums membership tends to bias perspective and it's easy to forget that we are, generally, that 15% of the target market. Frank Martin did say that he intended to cater for the experienced hobbyist and the big kits, the Mossie, Valiant and Sea Vixen, do just that.
New Spitfires and Hurricanes and Zeros cater for the rest of the market nicely and I'm happy to wait for a new-tool Tiger Moth.

Historically, the R&D departments behind Airfix have at least read the stuff within Forums such as this. Unfortunately, previous R&D departments have tended to ignore expressed experienced modelling opinions and gone ahead with their own ideas, some of which have been...erm....poor.
Robogear, anyone? Footballers? Chinese Zhengdefu kits? Dr. Who kits?

It also interests me that, given access to the same potential market researches, Revell and other manufacturers come up with such radically different releases.

Regards,
Bruce
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

Would dearly like a new tooled Tiger Moth . As its the 70th Anniversary of the Air Training Corps how about a boxed set of the DH Chipmunk,Bulldog and new tool Grob Vigilant or even better a Slingsby T-21B Sedbergh or T-31 Cadet Mk 3 ???
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I wouldn't characterise Revell's new tool programme as "radically different releases". In 1/72, we have an Airbus A.400M, in line with their previous Atlantic and Transall new tools, and not so different from a Nimrod, in principle. And if someone had told you that Airfix's new releases for 2011 included a Halifax B.I/III and a Ju88A4, would you have been surprised? True, Revell do more in 1/32, and the Lynx and Hawk will be very well received, I'm sure - but that's their chosen large scale. Airfix have no "track record" in 1/32 aircraft, and Airfix has done Hawks and Lynxes in 72nd and 48th instead. Looking at Revell's release list, I'd say their new tools follow a very similar pattern to Airfix's - a few bankers, plus filling gaps in their various existing "ranges" (eg 1/32 Aircraft), then and judicious use of collaborations/tool sharing to make this years "new" kit list look more impressive without costing the earth.

Mind you, then along comes a 1/32 Routemaster bus... what _are_ they thinking? It's not even as if that's going to be a guaranteed London 2012 tourist trap!

bestest,
M.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The Hornby management strategy for revitalization of brands seems sound to me. They did a good job in pulling around the Hornby railway product lines, updating it and improving the quality. They are now doing the same with Airfix. They will want a complete portfolio of the most popular kits in their inventory, so new tools are a part of that strategy.
Once they get the panel lines somewhat more subtle, they'll be very competitive on price and quality. We should applaud their marketing strategy - they want to grow the market and that will mean more, younger modellers, and hopefully, more forum members.
Up in the Great White North
Chris

Post by Chris »

New is good, as long as it not super expensive.

Its a little disapointing for me that the major US firms are not once they were, it would be great if Monogram was still pumping them out, at least airfix is in good hands.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

For the record, my take on retooling and new tooling of old subjects is as follows.

I like Airfix's current policy of retooling their older kits and keeping costs down at the same time. I liked their old Spitfire 1a, still have some and will build them. On the other hand, I like the new Spitfire 1a a lot more, as it has everything required to build a really good replica right in the box and the price is very good. If they had incuded 2 or more decal options, I would have given this kit 10 out of 10. Their new IIa does have the extras, but moves up a series.

The problem I always find is that any new range from any manufacturer tends to go for the following aircraft . . Spitfire, Mustang, Hurricane, 109 and 190. Jets are F-16s, Phantoms and the like. In many cases these are very good, but usually they have problems. Sometimes the manufacturer may sort the issues, but in 99% of the cases, they don't. The kit still sells, as it is one of those popular subjects and we keen modellers just make the mods ourselves. A lot of newer / casual modellers don't bother. The follow up kits of less popular models are better than the original releases. A retooled model may just be the thing to improve the original release.

On a similar issue, a company may bring out a model that is much sought after by we modellers and it may be dreadful. ( Hobbycraft Vampires and Academy Hunters and Spitfire XIV.) As there is one available, no one else bothers, so we're stuck with a model that we have to buy replacement parts for, cross kit, or scratchbuild parts. These models should be retooled by the manufacturer and give us a break.

For any manufacturer it makes sense to use the tools as long as is possible and then retool to a higher standard. Airfix have done this on quite a few of their old kits and I'm looking forward to more 'old favourites' ( or old chestnuts. ) getting the works. The Defiant, Gladiator, Tiger Moth to name but 3 of many.

I'd still like to see some more new releases though. New standard models of some of the older Frog kits at Airfix / Pocket money prices would be nice. Whitley, Venom. Scimitar, Javelin, Beaufighter, DH88 Comet, Vampire, Skua, Proctor, Meteor, FD2, Lightning F6, Beaufort, Gypsy Moth, Sea Fury, Boston, Maryland, Magister, Hampden . . . the list goes on.

One thought on new variants of Spitfires : If the general public want a Spitfire, they'll buy one. The chances that they want a particular mark is probably secondary, so why don't manufacturers pander to us 'Serious' modellers sometime and build some of the less kitted versions. Just a thought.
So many models, so little time.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Well... if a 1/48 Spitfire XII and Seafire 17 isn't "pandering to us Serious modellers", then I don't know what is! And I wouldn't say the Academy Hunter is "dreadful". It has its flaws, but they're all correctable pretty easily and cheaply. If Hobby Boss did one, it'd cost the same as the Academy one plus corrections, and it'd be covered in unrealistic rivets...

bestest,
M.

Return to “Small Talk”