Warning the Carpet Monster has mutated

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Warning the Carpet Monster has mutated

Post by splash »

I feel the need to tell everyone to watch out, last night whilst working on my Bird Dog GB I dropped the front canopy transparency on to a wood laminate floor.

Being smug in the knowledge that the carpet monster was restrained in the next room, I was totally surprised to find out that it had mutated into the Laminate Monster and having only dropped the canopy two feet to the floor, it had gone in a flash.

The good news is, unlike the Carpet Monster who are known to eat small parts immediately, the laminate monster stores them away ready to eat them latter. it took me ten minutes to track it down as it had dragged the part four feet under my workbench behind the compressor.

Now I might have been lucky for the following reasons.

1 it might have been a small Laminate Monster and unable to eat canopy size pieces.
2 They might just like hiding things.
3 It was not hungry and was hiding it to eat latter.
4 It was spooked by the bright light.
5 it’s just lulling me in to a false sense of security.

Whatever the reason watch out for the little bugger, if we have them in the UK they could be anywhere.

Regards
Splash
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Warning the Carpet Monster has mutated

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'm in exactly the same point. I thought I was being clever when I spent 3 days laying it. :roll:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, I am quite convinced that the bounce of small parts on a hard floor should cause a relook at Newtonian Physics ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jRatz wrote:Yes, I am quite convinced that the bounce of small parts on a hard floor should cause a relook at Newtonian Physics ....
Ah, I think you mean Newton's (not well publicised) Fourth Law of Motion:

The horizontal distance travelled by a bouncing object is inversely proportional to the size, and directly proportional to the difficulty of replacement of the said object... :)

This of course is a non-quantum approximation, we should also allow for the probability of vortices in the space-time continuum swallowing the objects. :-D
Up in the Great White North
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I've tried a different approach, knowing full well that there are little 'carpet' monsters living quite happily on slate flooring...I've semi-tamed one.
It gets its share of plastic shavings and it's encouraged to live in a certain place. If I lose something, I can now check its lair.

Regards,
Bruce
...getting increasingly delusional by the minute.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I still don't understand why no matter how hard i try i always drop parts at some point.
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

I feel that I must advise all that a new and dangerous monster has hove on the scene. It is the lounge monster! Once thought to be benign it has shown its true colours by devouring a set of Confederate Generals (JEB Stuart) trousers! Even the use of an especially designed vacuum cleaner has faailed to recover said pants.

What do I do with an underwearing Confederate General?

Dai
Winning the war with the meese!
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

I sometimes blame the carpet monster when in fact it is the lesser known bench monster which makes parts invisble to the modeler, the modeler later finds the said part whilst cleaning up and places it in a "safe" place only then to forget where that safe place is or to not be able to find it again due to once again the bench monster!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Chris wrote:I still don't understand why no matter how hard i try i always drop parts at some point.
I keep reading 'pants' instead of 'parts'. :mrgreen:
MackemPete
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by MackemPete »

Is there a name for the noise that comes out of you everytime you drop something.
Mines the same everytime it's a sort of orrhhhh!
Cheers
Pete
Chris

Post by Chris »

MerlinJones wrote:
Chris wrote:I still don't understand why no matter how hard i try i always drop parts at some point.
I keep reading 'pants' instead of 'parts'. :mrgreen:
That too.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

My carpet monster is actually a cement monster, and I have proof that it has a deal with the spiders that live in my garage. One day after I dropped a part on the floor and looked high and low there was no sign of it (of course); so eventually I sighed and gave up ... and just as I did so my gaze travelled partway up one wall and there was the missing part in a spiderweb (the thieving spider was nowhere to be seen).

The millipedes cooperate with the monster too by acting as camouflage: they are a shiny grey in colour, looking uncannily like plastic, and when they die they curl up into a tight spiral -- they are exactly the right size and shape for wheels, which of course working mostly on tanks I drop all the time ....

I had to laugh out loud one day when I dropped some small part, looked for it all over the place, couldn't find it ... ended up scratching a replacement. Then about a week later happened to get ready to do some painting and there, right in the exact middle of my "painting" section of my bench, was the missing part ... which means that when I "dropped" it, it flew about 2' sideways. The carpet monster is bad enough, but a carpet monster with telekinetic powers is a little hard to bear!
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

...and let's not forget the stash monster...where a stray part gets put away in another box 'just for now and I know where it is'...until the next stash re-org when said box cycles from the ready-use stash to the deep storage one and it not rediscovered for some time/months/years...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
kerensasdad
Getting well comfy!

Post by kerensasdad »

MackemPete wrote:Is there a name for the noise that comes out of you everytime you drop something.
Cheers
Pete
In my house it's called Oh ***t! :ha:
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

MackemPete wrote:Is there a name for the noise that comes out of you everytime you drop something.
Ha-ha! - Same here :mrgreen:
Sometimes followed by a short-sharp 'F***!' - if I've dropped the same part a few times in a row.
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2

Return to “Small Talk”