I could start a (Han)riot !

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

I could start a (Han)riot !

Post by T-21 »

Have the Eduard 1/48th Hanriot HD.1 to build . Instructions for painting in Belgian Air Force colours are wrong on the instructions, the light grey should be light green. Can anybody give me a colour match Humbrol or Tamiya for this please ? Some qoute RLM83 but this is dark green ,should it be RLM 82 ?? so confusing ??
Flute

Re: I could start a (Han)riot !

Post by Flute »

T-21 wrote:Have the Eduard 1/48th Hanriot HD.1 to build . Instructions for painting in Belgian Air Force colours are wrong on the instructions, the light grey should be light green. Can anybody give me a colour match Humbrol or Tamiya for this please ? Some qoute RLM83 but this is dark green ,should it be RLM 82 ?? so confusing ??
This is an HD.3, and the builder has used Pollyscale RLM 83. http://www.wwi-models.org/app/sbj/srch/ ... subjId=174; . On my monitor at least it's a medium green. This is standard French 5 colour camo, and personally I'd use something a bit lighter. According to the Windsock Datafile, machines built for Belgian service carried the 5 colour scheme (from October 1917). Can't give a Humbrol or Tamiya guarranteed match because I've been using MrKit acrylics for this and they have the appropriate green out of the pot, but a rough match would be Humbrol 120. I've seen Humbrol 117 and 155 also quoted. To give you an idea of what to aim for, here's a Spad XIII I did with the MrKit paint many moons ago. http://www.wwi-models.org/app/album/Acn ... t&picInx=6;

I hope that helps.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
T-21

Post by T-21 »

Paul,

That is so helpful many thanks. I have been trawling through my old SAM magazines ,the Ian Huntley columns on paint colours are superb. The French AF light green was Methuen ref 3E5, I did think of Humbrol 120 or 78 but your input is great,love the Spad colours. I am surprised at Eduard getting it wrong in the first place. Just shows do not take the instruction sheet as gospel but check photos and colours on the internet and good reviews/references.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Glad it helped. I wish someone had told me when I did my floatplane version, back in the year dot...........

(Oh, and I agreee about the Ian Huntley articles - good stuff).

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.

Return to “Small Talk”