USAF Museum, Dayton, Ohio

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

USAF Museum, Dayton, Ohio

Post by SJPONeill »

Folks

I have justed completed a two hour recce of the USAF Museum: I am there all day tomorrow and possibly the day after...if anyone has any requests of things they would like happy-snappies of, please let me know in this thread. I make no promises at all to my ability to take clear uncluttered photos, I may forget entirely, fall asleep in one of the movies or flick the camera memory card off a window sill like I did the other day...

I will upload all my images up into Photobucket anyway and post the links here but that probably won't be til I get home in a few weeks...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Stamford

Re: USAF Museum, Dayton, Ohio

Post by Stamford »

I want to come too!
running at the edge of their world
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Thanks for the offer, Simon. If you do get a chance, any walkround pics of the T-28 Trojan would be appreciated (it's in the Cold War Gallery) – but I know there's a lot to see and do so if you can't, no worries. Regardless, have a great time.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... 20Olympia/

OK, so it's not the Museum yet but some of the nautically-minded might be interest in USS New Jersey and USS Olympia now berthed on the Delaware River from last weekend...should have the first of the USAF Museum images up today...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

PS apologies for the rather clumsy copyright watermarking - the software I use doesn't like the netbook very much and I can't access all the controls. Have started to do this after some of my photos started to get knocked off on the net - can't stop them but can make it inconvenient...

The T-28 is suspended from the roof so is difficult to get good shots of and the B-45 has heaps of other displays around it so is difficult to get a clear shot - a bit of a disappointment as it was one I was hoping to cover for myself...
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I was at the New Jersey last month and took a ton of photos. I was going to post some but hadn't had a chance yet. I hope to get the the Olympia some time this year
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Olympia is well worth it - I enjoyed it more than New Jersey probably because you are freer to self-guide...

Pics from Day 3 at Dayton...many the R&D hall on the base itself...you only get about 50 minutes to cover everything before you have to get back on the bus so it's a bit of a rush job and I'll have to do the Presidential Hall next time...

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... 20Day%203/
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Here's Day 1:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... 20Day%201/

I didn't get round to captioning any of them but may do this later but in the mean time is any one has any questions about what something is, just ask...hopefully my memory will be up to it or some one else's knowledge might kick in...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Day 2 Part One
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... 0Part%201/

Vietnam, Cold War and modern halls plus the missile wing...lots of shots of the C-124 and C-133 as I have a these on the slow-burn production line...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Absolutely, Brews...there are plenty of publications available that serve as great references for modelling but actually being right up by the actual aircraft and being able to see for yourself is a whole new experience, more so when the aircraft is often one of historical note...not just the well-known ones like Bockscar but the A-1E that Fisher won the Medal of Honor in, or the first F-111 ejection capsule to be used for real, the first AC-130, etc....for me, certainly, that's a real buzz...

The F=105 60504 that is on display there now, I last saw in a rather poor condition in the AMARC at Davis-Montham in 1988 - in fact, I have a slow-burning building of her as she was then, using the Combat 105 as that was all that was available ten years ago - and to see her now all tarted up as she was during the war was really pleasing...

I was also surprised at how big the F-107 is - not surprising when you consider it was in the running as a F-100 replacement and was beaten out by the F-105 but my lasting impression of the one at Pima from a couple of decades ago was how small it appeared...but then that was back in the days when I was ten foot tall and bullet-proof...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I was just driving off-base in search of food when I spotted a sign off to the left “USAF Armament Museum, Open Mon-Sat 0930-1630, Free Admission”…food had to wait another few hours while I a. enjoyed the heat and the sun around the outdoor displays and b. enjoyed the moderate aircon around the indoor displays.

This museum, just outside Eglin AFB, has a fine collection of aircraft including First Lady, the first C-130 off the line in 1953 and only retired in 1995, in an outdoor display; and and indoor display with a F-105D, Mustang, and F-80 surrounding by a range of drones, rockets, bombs and missiles…It acknowledges both Eglin’s Air Special Operations and its Test heritage with a number of interesting displays…certainly one way to kill a few hours in the sun…

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... 0Jun%2011/

Return to “Small Talk”