My Precious! Parting with a treasure!

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
MerlinJones

My Precious! Parting with a treasure!

Post by MerlinJones »

I had a really strong dream last night...
I was working with someone and was really, really proud of what they'd done and I wanted to reward them.
I told them that they could take any model kit they chose from The Stash...

They took a particular kit and I can remember, in the dream, wishing that I'd never made that offer, or had at least imposed some conditions. I was devastated, (as you can be in dreams), as the kit left me, but I didn't flinch and my friend went off a happy chap.

Now the actual kit in the dream was one that I found recently, in a crushed box. In no way is this an important or valuable kit to me, but I decided to build it anyways.

Now, assuming you made the same promise to someone...it could be a friend, or a young relative, it doesn't really matter who, (or does it?).
They go and help themselves to something and, as it leaves your sight, you most strongly wish you hadn't made the offer in the first place.

What was that kit?

Regards,
Bruce
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Re: My Precious! Parting with a treasure!

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

dont think theres any thing in the stash that i would REALLY miss.................maybe that 1/16 jaguar SS100 ive had for 5 years and havnt had the nerve to start cos i really want to detail it up and do a good job
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
arni
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by arni »

Probably my Tamiya MK2 Jag that I got at Telford in 07.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Research Dept wrote:...I also notice you didn't say what kit you lost in your dream . . . or nightmare in your case?
I did say that it's something I'm currently working on, so it isn't that difficult to fathom. ;-)

...And, as for purpose, there is a method to my madness. :ha:

Regards,
Bruce
arni

Post by arni »

So the best/funniest answer wins a kit from your stash then? :-D
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

MerlinJones wrote:
Research Dept wrote:...I also notice you didn't say what kit you lost in your dream . . . or nightmare in your case?
I did say that it's something I'm currently working on, so it isn't that difficult to fathom. ;-)

...And, as for purpose, there is a method to my madness. :ha:

Regards,
Bruce
Its not your Revell FW190 is it?
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

It'd have to be something I couldn't replace, either due to rarity or cost...so probably...the 1/72 TB-2 would be at the top of the list, followed by the 1/35 Dora and the 1/32 Vulcan (although in all honesty I couldn't give this to someone I liked)...

As Brews said, anything that I could eventually replace wouldn't be much of an issue...might cause a bit of a sulk at the time but nothing I wouldn't get over...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Lyell72planes
Likes Paint and Markings!

Post by Lyell72planes »

I have some old kits in my stash but nothing that could not be replaced with some
perserverance . Such dreams Bruce, sounds like you are ready for a holiday. :grin: Lyell..
Classic British Kit Collector
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

The answer to the question really boils down to cost (of replacement) or rarity -- and the latter usually influencing the former. After all, if the kit is cheap, and not very difficult to replace, it's not very painful to give it away.

Not a hard decision from me -- the Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon. It's not so much what it cost me originally, but what it would cost me to replace it, not to mention the fondness I have for it! I might have some rarer kits in my stash, but they would probably not be as expensive to replace and/or would not be as heart-breaking to lose.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

Monogram Piper Tri-Pacer from 1973,original moulding 1957 ! odd scale believed to be 1/43 but need confirmation as I cannot remember. Has figures and a shot jaguar animal moulding .
mariow
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by mariow »

MerlinJones wrote:Now, assuming you made the same promise to someone...it could be a friend, or a young relative, it doesn't really matter who, (or does it?).
They go and help themselves to something and, as it leaves your sight, you most strongly wish you hadn't made the offer in the first place.

What was that kit?
I'd hide my Airfix Fergie before making such a promise ;-)

In the field of kits readilly available today I would be most hit if that person chose my CMR 1:72 Short Empire Flying Boat. It hurt quite a bit when I bought it, a second time would hurt even more!
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

There's always room for ONE more kit!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

That would be a cougar. The float version of the Cessna 172 had a woman water skier.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

Off topic but relevant the instructions give the animal as a mountain lion. There are two nice hunter figures one with a rifle ,the other with a camera. No scale quoted on the box/instructions but 1/33 ?? Nice detailed interior and engine . You can paint it in the lovely sounding Piper house colours of Cadillac Red,Key West Blue or Pasadena Rose.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

If the lady water skier was late 30s/early 40s, she may be a cougar, in which case the instructions would be correct both ways...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Small Talk”