My name's Andrew and I'm a recreational modeller

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
bromo
On a long, long journey

Re: My name's Andrew and I'm a recreational modeller

Post by bromo »

Well said Andrew!! :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
Chris

Post by Chris »

MerlinJones wrote:I'm feeling a Starfix Spitfire GB coming on...and your participation is compulsary. :mrgreen:
You provide it, i'll build it!

:razz:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

:sick: Starfix :sick:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Desert_fox »

This is absolutely my philosophy on modelling. I buy kits depending on if I like the subject itself, and have no idea if what I am buying will turn out to be a nice kit or not! I do think I would like to be able to build at least one kit which is historically accurate (me being a student of history and all) - perhaps a WW2 fighter ace's plane - but that's something definately on the backburner. For now I'm just enjoying applying glue, paint and elbow grease to a plastic surface and watching something come together from a box full of random plastic shapes! :-D
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Desert_fox wrote:This is absolutely my philosophy on modelling. I buy kits depending on if I like the subject itself, and have no idea if what I am buying will turn out to be a nice kit or not! I do think I would like to be able to build at least one kit which is historically accurate (me being a student of history and all) - perhaps a WW2 fighter ace's plane - but that's something definately on the backburner. For now I'm just enjoying applying glue, paint and elbow grease to a plastic surface and watching something come together from a box full of random plastic shapes! :-D
I've done Ian Gleed's Hurricane, Gibger Lacey's Spitfire and I'm building Bill Dunn's Spitfire at the moment in the Rhubarb GB.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I split off the postings on "Strange Vehicles", as they were veering off topic :)
Up in the Great White North
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

my modeling philosophy tends to shift back and fourth between the semi-causal "make it look nice" camp, and what I call AMS-light. I'm too obsessive and self critical to take a completely casual approach to kit building, but not obsessive enough to insist upon the utmost accuracy.

I think my goal most often is to have a neat and tidy looking model which captures the major distinguishing characteristics of the prototype, and includes what I would categorize as functional details. These being things like shell ejection chutes, gun ports, proper exhausts and aerial masts and landing gear components.

On the other hand, I don't bother myself too much with interior details that will not be directly visible through the cockpit openings or with color matching. With all the variations on color hue and tone that I do with my models, getting the color close enough is more than adequate for my needs.

I sometimes wish I could be more AMS and produce super detailed kits, but I do not have the patience for it. I also sometimes wish that I could take a more laid back approach to building, and just enjoy the kits for what they are, but again I can't let certain things pass.

I guess I'm a Goldilocks modeler :)

Return to “Small Talk”