Am I missing out ?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Am I missing out ?

Post by johnsan »

I recognized the IMHO and your right to your opinion. Up until about a year ago, I would have agreed with you.

Since then, I've been exposed to Bert's pastel work and to brush work of some local modelers. Then there are works by figure and armor guys mixing enamels with oils to gain strengths of each, that is the drying time of enamels and the blending of oils. Seen some outstanding mottling done with a paint brush. There are some guys who can do this, but most guys don't have the chops to get those kind of results. Heck, many airbrush guys have difficulty painting mottles. It's not something easily done.

Sorry, I don't have links or photos to show you. I just ask you take me at my word. I'm not trying to one-up you in an on-line debate and no, I don't think you are saying anything like this.

And for the record, I don't think either airbrushing or hand brushing to be the superior technique. Each of us have favored techniques and tools chosen for specific and personal reasons. I think you and I pretty much agree on this. In terms of the original question, is someone missing out by not using an airbrush, I think the answer is maybe, maybe not. It depends on what is wanted, what materials are chosen, and how much time & talent one has to invest. In any case, just buying an airbrush is no guarantee of an instant great finish.
Really nothing pithy to say.
Chris

Post by Chris »

johnsan wrote:
ShaunW wrote:IMHO Zee, there is only one way to successfully mottle an aircraft and that's by using an airbrush. There are limitations to paint brushes and, again only IMHO, mottling is one of them.
While I mainly use an airbrush for mottles and most other paint chores, I have to respectfully disagree with you, Shaun.

The very best mottling jobs I've ever seen were applied not with an airbrush or a paintbrush, but with powdered pastels and then blended using a blending stump. Of course, the pastels have to be sealed, but this can be done using an artist's fixative from an aerosol can if one doesn't have an airbrush. After seeing some subjects done in this manner, I intend to try a few.

Take a look at this: http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircra ... topic=3115 Note that there is a finished model and one under construction. Note the cleanliness of each.

There are many ways to do paint and finish a model. It really pays to explore different techniques and often the best finishes come from using many techniques. The point I think should be taken from this thread is not that an airbrushed finish is better than a hand-brushed finish, but that selection of appropriate tools will make a job easier.
I'd be concerned with pastels getting messed up, especially while spraying dullcote.

But Ren's technique does look interesting and I may try it.
Honcho of ASMMF
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

To have an airbrush or not, that is the question. Has anybody mentioned the compromise of having a few aerosols? Not the fine control of an airbrush, but modern ones do give a pretty good finish in comparison to the spluttery old things of yester-year.

Even though I have an airbrush I still sometimes reach for the aerosol for large areas or for priming.

Just a thought.

Zee
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Zee28 wrote:To have an airbrush or not, that is the question. Has anybody mentioned the compromise of having a few aerosols? Not the fine control of an airbrush, but modern ones do give a pretty good finish in comparison to the spluttery old things of yester-year.

Even though I have an airbrush I still sometimes reach for the aerosol for large areas or for priming.

Just a thought.

Zee

Yes, Aerosal Can primer (Humbrol and Tamiya being the best) is a better choice then airbrush, it covers large areas quickly, can easily have more coats and is better to check out the faults quicker.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've yet to try modern aerosols but for coverage of single colours and primers, I've seen members on here achieve some good results. The one aerosol that is on my "to try" list is Halfords Appliance White the next time I decide to alienate myself from the rest of the aircraft modelling fraternity by building an airliner, which I do from time to time :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

ShaunW wrote:I've yet to try modern aerosols but for coverage of single colours and primers, I've seen members on here achieve some good results. The one aerosol that is on my "to try" list is Halfords Appliance White
Halfords aerosols are really very good Shaun, nice even finish and very tough afterwards when handling it. They're probably the best (even when compared to some proprietary modelling ones). I think you'll be pleased with the finish. I used the appliance white on a (wait fir it....) appliance! I got quite a good finish. Also, they take most model paints (well certainly enamels) on top of them with no troubles.
ShaunW wrote: the next time I decide to alienate myself from the rest of the aircraft modelling fraternity by building an airliner, which I do from time to time :ha:
Or a nuclear V-Bomber! You'll never alienate yourself here mate, modelling is modelling, you build what you want Dude! :-D

Zee28
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I find aerosols coarse, blunt instruments :evil: absolutely no finesse :roll:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Ratch wrote:I find aerosols coarse, blunt instruments :evil: absolutely no finesse :roll:
They are the basic end of airbrushing no doubt!, but you can get some skill and so on at using them. Not much I grant you with one nozzle and spray size but it's a start on using something that sprays. Plus I think you used to be able to get nozzles for spray cans that had different size holes so different size spray could be acheived. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

I've tried with aerosol spray cans on a couple of planes. Didn't work out well for me. But when I tried on two cars I built this year I was very pleased with the result as it was my first go. I can't wait for spring and more outdoor spraying on cars I'll build. Even two-tone ones so I get to practice masking the big areas. :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I used various shades of Halfords aerosol tan and orange when spraying the External Tank on my Space Shuttle model a couple of years ago. I added tone and shade using Tamiya Smoke from an airbrush.

gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

The use of the pastels to get the camo finish looks fantastic, something I will definately consider, but I'm not sure how you would matt / gloss it at the finish, wouldnt it run / blow away? Please excuse this if it's a stupid question but I've only just returned to modeling after 35 year lay off and everything has vastly moved on :)
George B.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

gbrwn56 wrote:The use of the pastels to get the camo finish looks fantastic, something I will definately consider, but I'm not sure how you would matt / gloss it at the finish, wouldnt it run / blow away? Please excuse this if it's a stupid question but I've only just returned to modeling after 35 year lay off and everything has vastly moved on :)
Pastel powders stick very well to a matt surface, so I usually weather as the last thing on my models.

For glossy ones, matt first, then pastels, then gloss
Up in the Great White North
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Thank you Andrew I'll get some today.
George B.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

I like to use an airbrush because, as an acned youth being formally trained in design and illustration the proper way, it was what the big dogs used. It's a whole new skill set that comes with a steep learning curve. Fortunately that curve flattens out fairly quickly; you can get "good enough" in a relatively short space of time.

Having said that, I have never abandoned brush painting. Good brush skills are essential for a modeller. There is, quite simply, no substitute for a brush when it comes to the fernickety bits. I'm also not a believer in the notion that good models can only be finished with an airbrush. In the hands of a skilled exponent, the brush can be a mighty tool. Google "Serge Dompierre Hyperscale" for supporting evidence.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Small Talk”