Am I missing out ?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Am I missing out ?

Post by Ratch »

Both have their part to play. I wouldn't attempt pre-shading with a hairy stick, but equally I wouldn't mask the dial faces to spray a 1/72 instrument panel. Both require a degree of finesse/expertise/skill - if you don't try you won't know :roll:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

I'm solely a hairy stick user, and I really love it. I fint it easier, quicker and less hassle. I'm not aiming for perfect models, I'm aiming for fun. It's that simple for me.
I've had an airbrush for seven years or so, never tried it...
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

There is a fear factor in trying an airbrush.

Life is about overcoming fears.
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I have tried airbrushing, just not my own. Like I said, I love to use the hairy stick, for the reasons posted above.
I'm not fearful of trying airbrushing, I just don't want to! So why should I?

You could say the same about using the hairy stick then. A fear factor, life is about overcoming fears... After a while, you'll get the hang of the hairy stick, it takes practice, just like airbrush. The big question is, what do YOU want use? Whatever you decide, is fine. It's a hobby, your hobby, your models. Do what makes you enjoy it, it's suppose to be fun.

There's one thing I don't like about this hobby. The pressure to having to use an airbrush, as most feel you have to, otherwise you're not accepted as a 'real' modeller. :roll:
TomW

Post by TomW »

Sissel raises an interesting point; the general disbelief amongst many modellers that it IS possible to achieve a smooth, streak free finish using traditional brushes. In fact I can still remember one gentleman straight out accuse me of lying when he asked what airbrush I used to paint my models and my response was that I use a 'Hairy Stick'.

Now I am no expert, nor am I the worlds best modeller (about as far from that as the Milky Way is from the Andromeda galaxy :ha: ) but I took it as a huge compliment to my brush painting and proof that lots of practise with your prefered methods is the best way forward.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

TomW wrote:Sissel raises an interesting point; the general disbelief amongst many modellers that it IS possible to achieve a smooth, streak free finish using traditional brushes. In fact I can still remember one gentleman straight out accuse me of lying when he asked what airbrush I used to paint my models and my response was that I use a 'Hairy Stick'.
I see what you mean here, I've had the same reply on several models. "I thought it was airbrush", "That looks airbrushed". It is indeed a great feeling, compliment.
Also far from an expert, but I really do enjoy using the hairy stick. The times I get a flat smooth finish I'm very pleased.
I don't think it was tgat long ago I saw a model in aviation forum here being brush painted. And if the person had not said I, I would have thought it was airbrushed. That's how great his brush work was. Sorry can't remember who now.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Prisca wrote:I don't think it was tgat long ago I saw a model in aviation forum here being brush painted. And if the person had not said I, I would have thought it was airbrushed. That's how great his brush work was. Sorry can't remember who now.
Probably one of mine. :lol:
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

TomW wrote:.....and proof that lots of practise with your prefered methods is the best way forward.
Absolutely Tom, that echoes my sentiments from my previous post, it's what suits and where one's skills lie.

As for 'Not being a REAL modeller unelss you use an airbrush' (taking up Prisca's point) well that attitude is frankly rubbish as far as I'm concerned, and should not be welcomed here on this forum.

I've seen some of Prisca's brush painted schemes (difficult colours too, like yellow) and frankly they're better than I could achieve with an airbrush!

It's all about personal preferences and where your skills are. Once again I state; I use an airbrush because I am, and always have been, rubbish with a hairy stick!

If I could've got good with a hairy stick I may never have entertained an airbrush.

Zee
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Prisca wrote:I have tried airbrushing, just not my own. Like I said, I love to use the hairy stick, for the reasons posted above.
I'm not fearful of trying airbrushing, I just don't want to! So why should I?

You could say the same about using the hairy stick then. A fear factor, life is about overcoming fears... After a while, you'll get the hang of the hairy stick, it takes practice, just like airbrush. The big question is, what do YOU want use? Whatever you decide, is fine. It's a hobby, your hobby, your models. Do what makes you enjoy it, it's suppose to be fun.

There's one thing I don't like about this hobby. The pressure to having to use an airbrush, as most feel you have to, otherwise you're not accepted as a 'real' modeller. :roll:
I used ordinary brushes for decades - and I still do, now and then. So my "hairy stick" collection is still in use and not not mouldering away in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.
My conversion to airbrushing only came in the last few years - even though I made my very first attempts way back in the mid 1970s. it took 30 years for me to find an airbrush I could really get on with. I'm glad I persevered.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Zee28 wrote:As for 'Not being a REAL modeller unelss you use an airbrush' (taking up Prisca's point) well that attitude is frankly rubbish as far as I'm concerned, and should not be welcomed here on this forum.
No-one in this thread has said that. Let's try not to get hyperbolic or pushy.... ;-)

The point some of us have been making is that we prefer airbrushing. I, personally, couldn't go back to hand brushing camo now, as my paint brush skills, such as they were, have atrophied to the point of no return. If you've tried it and don't like it, well, that's fair enough - each to their own.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Chris

Post by Chris »

piggypod1 wrote:I'm 50 years old now and apart from a 15 year interval for the usual reasons, wife, family, job etc i've been an ardent modelling fan, however for all that time i've always painted with a brush, undercoat, 2 top coats (more if needed) and then final weathering, but am I missing out ? I have been on this forum now for about a year and have seen all the wonderful results achieved with airbrushes, pre-shading, luftwaffe mottling,snakes and us navy blues graduated schemes that are very if not impossible to achieve with a paint brush. I like using my chosen method but a wondering am i missing out ?
Yes you are.

I also restarted at 50 being just a brush painter and quickly realized you can't get the same effect and finish with a brush that you can with an airbrush.

Take the plunge, its difficult at first but it soon becomes second nature.
Honcho of ASMMF
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

PaulBradley wrote:
Zee28 wrote:As for 'Not being a REAL modeller unelss you use an airbrush' (taking up Prisca's point) well that attitude is frankly rubbish as far as I'm concerned, and should not be welcomed here on this forum.
No-one in this thread has said that. Let's try not to get hyperbolic or pushy.... ;-)

The point some of us have been making is that we prefer airbrushing. I, personally, couldn't go back to hand brushing camo now, as my paint brush skills, such as they were, have atrophied to the point of no return. If you've tried it and don't like it, well, that's fair enough - each to their own.
Just to be clear, I was not having a go at those who prefer airbrush over a hairy stick, nor was I saying there was that 'not real modeller attitude' here on the forum. I was just stating a general opinion/observation for the hobby (that's sadly very visible on other forums), where those who use hairy stick are looked down upon. Thankfully not on this forum! I really enjoy seeing how people get fantastic builds with an airbrush, it's just not for me.
Also wanted to make clear there's nothing wrong with deciding to use hairy stick, or deciding to use airbrush, it's about what you prefer and like to do.
But I don't agree you're missing out if you don't use airbrush. This hobby is much more than that. :grin:
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I use a tooth brush. Everything is so shiny and smells of mint. :)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I only got my airbrush for my 50th birthday, and I am now much happier with the finish of my models. I still do all the details with a brush, and I enjoy that side of painting too.
I'd say have a go with an airbrush on something simple - I started with a nightfighter, so black with more black and then black highlights :)
You might find you like it, or go back to the brush. But at least you tried. I like my combination of Iwata airbrush, Vallejo Air paints and an ultrasonic bath for cleaning. Low maintenance, reliable and no smelly chemicals!

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

AndrewR wrote: I like my combination of Iwata airbrush, Vallejo Air paints and an ultrasonic bath for cleaning. Low maintenance, reliable and no smelly chemicals!

Cheers

Andrew
Exactly the same here. The beauty of acrylic airbrushing is that you can use water to clean between sprays although I do use Vallejo cleaner and thinners when I've finished spraying for the day. I've also got a Harder and Steinback with a .2mm needle for fine work. I do use a hairy stick but only for small detail work.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto

Return to “Small Talk”