Sabrinas for a Mountain -- any ideas?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Sabrinas for a Mountain -- any ideas?

Post by mattbacon »

Just got a big box full of fairly battered Kitmaster locos for restoration for the CBK display at SMW. The one that really makes it worthwhile is the rare, and expensive French 241P "Mountain". I'll need to build a cab, but that's not too hard. But it's also missing two streamlined cylinders from the top. No idea what they are, but these are they, coloured in fetching blue:

They need to be 25mm long and 6.5mm in diameter. The closest approximation I can think of is a couple of 1/72 SNEB pods or maybe Mustang drop tanks. Anyone got any better ideas, or something in the spares box that they can, err... spare?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions!

bestest,
M.
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Sabrinas for a Mountain -- any ideas?

Post by Gregers »

I doubt I have any (but I will look) but the drop tanks from the old Airfix MKIV Hurricane may do the trick with a little work. Hope this helps.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Gregers wrote:I doubt I have any (but I will look) but the drop tanks from the old Airfix MKIV Hurricane may do the trick with a little work. Hope this helps.
I was thinking Hurri drop tanks too. If Gregers doesn't have any I have loads. Also the d/t from a P47 is similar in shape but I may have only one of those.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

mattbacon wrote:They need to be 25mm long and 6.5mm in diameter. The closest approximation I can think of is a couple of 1/72 SNEB pods or maybe Mustang drop tanks. Anyone got any better ideas, or something in the spares box that they can, err... spare?
1/72 scale LAU-3 rocket launchers with the fairings on would seem to be near perfect; diameter is correct, although with both fairings on they're slightly too long. You'll have to modify one of the fairings anyway, and shortening the complete pod should be easy. They can be found (among other places) in Hasegawa's X72-1 aircraft weapons set.
Maple 01
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Maple 01 »

Why did I think 'Hawker Hunter' and the real Sabrina? :-D

http://gnosideicarpocraziani.tumblr.com ... -ann-sykes;
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Maple 01 wrote:Why did I think 'Hawker Hunter' and the real Sabrina? :-D

http://gnosideicarpocraziani.tumblr.com ... -ann-sykes;
Oh boy.

Returning to topic… (engaging scratchbuild mode) 6mm plastic rod in a cordless drill shaped with progressively finer grits of wet & dry would be a good option. Or 6mm aluminium tubing with milliput ends, shaped and smoothed out wet? Or maybe paper P-51 tanks. I don't have any 1/48 BL755 or even Rockeye CBUs handy but they could be a good base too perhaps.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Small Talk”