I am not buying any more kits! (Except the upcoming Valiant)

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

I am not buying any more kits! (Except the upcoming Valiant)

Post by Saxon »

I have a huge stash and sometimes I wonder if I will ever build them all and if I did do I have the display space. I also sometimes think I have overcomplicated my hobby with so many choices and if you will a "work load", there is a temptation to sell some kits but I have done that before and only ended up acquiring some of them again later on.

I am wondering if anyone else with a stash feels this way and feels they have overcomplicated things by building up such a large stash of kits?
johnsan

Re: I am not buying any more kits! (Except the upcoming Vali

Post by johnsan »

Yeah, I'm kind of there also. At my present build rate, I've enough kits for another couple of lifetimes.

The only kits I'm looking to buy, ok, must buy, are Platz T-33 and Tamiya's P-51.
Really nothing pithy to say.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I manage my stash to my satisfaction, thank you. The A:B works for me.

Regards,
Bruce
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

when we moved about 8 months ago i made an effort before hand to dispose of a lot of kits from the stash on ebay, the ones that i knew i would never build............less to move, less to store and the cash came in useful...............now im making a conscious effort not to buy something unless i really really really do plan to build it or i need it for a GB somewhere.............since i dont have a loft any more storage space is at a premium too.............but no, i dont want a valiant, thanks :lol:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

yep, me too...just waiting to see the Valiant on the shelves...but then, of course, something else will come along that I just HAVE to have...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

i have an equilibria of kits :)

i have a small selection of new kits that i buy with the intention of building, a much larger stash of second hand kits that i want to build and a large group of kits i buy to sell to make some money. somehow, the 3 type mutate in the loft from one stash to another so a weird equilibrium exists whereby i always seem to have buy, to build and to sell....
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The problem with saying 'never' is that you never know just what's around the modelling corner.
It could be a 'grail' kit that appears in a local charity shop, or the closing down sale of a model shop.
I've got a very 'healthy' stash, that could keep me entertained for the rest of my life. I receive review kits and that should be enough new plastic to play with, but I still get the urge to splurge.

Regards,
Bruce
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

I sometimes look at my (relatively small) stash and think, i need to slow down, problem is I don't actively look for kits to add i just see kits and think, i'll get that :)
Thankfully, we aren't in a place where we have a large model shop.
arni

Post by arni »

I have only bought about 8-10 kits this year and at the current rate of building my stash will keep me going for at least 10 years I guess. :roll:
But I have learned from experience...If I see a kit I like I buy it there and then,no messing about!
Chris

Post by Chris »

I intend to build everything i buy.

probaly won't happen but its my story and I'm sticking with it.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brews wrote:I hadn't bought many kits this year, except for the 20 I got this week. A:B doesn't work for me.
Amen, brother! I'm actively trying to give some of the stash away at the moment (some of the "I'll probably never build those" - to get the neighbour's (and my own) kids interested) but I know if I see one of them again at a good price, I'll be tempted to replace them.

My name's Martin and I'm a kitaholic (but only aircraft and mainly WWII)!

regards,

M
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I have decided to be a lot more critical over which kits I buy, so I'm only buying the ones I really like. :-D
So many models, so little time.
dknights
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dknights »

While I am more sselective than I use to be, I think that is because my stash is so large. I tell myself every once in a while that I will stop adding kits. I don't. I'll be buying till I die.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'm trying to buy just before building, so I don't build up too much of a stash. The main reason for buying at the moment is to get something for Group Builds as they come along.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

i know what Chuck means though over the years i have made many an impulse buy only to wonder later - why!?

Return to “Small Talk”