Cardboard boxes?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
The Cat
starter kit

Cardboard boxes?

Post by The Cat »

Afternoon all. *doffs cap*

This may seem like an odd question, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to get boxes from? I'm pretty sure my aircraft stash is going to be thinned at some point soon in favour of road/racing cars (don't burn the heretic :ha: ) but I want to make sure I can safely post kits - 'wrapping them in parcel paper and hoping' just won't cut it! And round the back of the local supermarket has not yielded the results it used to :cry:

Obviously I can envelope my aftermarket decals. :lol:

If I've the required 25 posts to advertise in Disposals by the time the clearout comes, 1st refusal to you lot :grin: (If this new place carried over from the old one I'd be fine :cry: )

Might have ~100 tins of Humbrol enamels to go too now I've switched to acrylic, but can't really post them I guess!

Cheers in advance!

The Cat
MerlinJones

Re: Cardboard boxes?

Post by MerlinJones »

The local recycling centre may have a cardboard dump, with boxes you could salvage.
...Or you could buy a load of kits from the likes of Kingkit or Hannants and use the boxes they send you. :mrgreen:

I'm sure I've seen boxes for sale at our large central Post Office. I know you'd have to buy these, but you can always include the cost within your sale...or offer a free box with every purchase!

Finally, I helped someone pack up and move home recently. We went to the local supermarket and asked and we were taken to the back of the warehouse and allowed to help ourselves to a load of very usefully-sized boxes.

Regards,
Bruce

PS If you're The Cat from the previous UAMF forum, then you've accumualted enough posts to trade.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I have used the large boxes from supermarkets as raw material for protecting small models by slicing the cardboard into strips slightly wider than the length of the model box and rolling it around the box...there is enough rigidity the in the cardboard to still protect the model from most vandalous posties...

Also see what local bakeries/pastry shops deliver cakes etc it...my wife scored me some great model boxes after they had some catered events at her work...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

You could use bubblewrap around the original box and use some tissue paper etc inside to cushion it all. I get that stuff for free where I work not sure how much it costs in comparison to postal boxes.

I've also had ebay purchases sent in typical around the house old cereal boxes etc. You could also ask at your local hobby shop if they have some they were planning to throw out.
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

i agree with all of the above plus; depending on where (or if) you work; talk to your mail room / deliveries inwards; always a great source of boxes for me. Oh, and, as long as you make sure the cans are well sealed and package them in a plastic bag, then there is no reason not to send the Humbrol cans by post..
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
BillyJ
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by BillyJ »

Not quite sure why, but our local recycling centre takes a very dim view of anyone taking anything away - it seems that there are paid-up contracts in place whereby agreements have already been made with other companies to take away 'their' respective piles of waste.
Seems there's money to be made out of it, whether it be TV sets, or piles of used cardboard.
Someone somewhere, has already 'bought it' before you even ask if you can have it.

BJ
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

The Cat wrote:
If I've the required 25 posts to advertise in Disposals by the time the clearout comes, 1st refusal to you lot :grin: (If this new place carried over from the old one I'd be fine :cry: )

Might have ~100 tins of Humbrol enamels to go too now I've switched to acrylic, but can't really post them I guess!

Cheers in advance!

The Cat
If you posted more than 25 posts on the original board, you can post in the Disposals section right away as this is still the UAMF just in a new home.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
The Cat
starter kit

Post by The Cat »

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Hadn't thought of any of that! ( :oops: ) - I'll get on the box hunt tomorrow!

I am indeed The Cat formerly known as The Cat a.k.a Meowbag. So with permission to use disposals, I'd better head loft-wards and dig out/photograph the kits which'll be leaving my house and going on a long and perilous journey! :cry: Goodbye old friends, a better home awaits you. :lol:
The Cat
starter kit

Post by The Cat »

Let the re-homing begin!

Hope you lot want it all, I'd rather they went to good, loving homes! :cry:

Return to “Small Talk”