Biggest reality : model kit proportion?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Biggest reality : model kit proportion?

Post by Saxon »

Not saying this is the 1 or anything but the Arado 234 would be in this category just over 200 built in real life but kitted by many manufacturers and a popular subject.
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bassman »

Under kitted is the Fokker G1. Of course not many Fokker G1's were built, most were destroyed on the ground without seeing action but it was a special aircraft in the early stages of WW2.
The only kits I know of are a 1/72 vacform set (long out of production) and the short run 1/72 MPM kit. (also out of production). Rumour has it that a 1/48 Fokker G1 is in preparation but that rumour is going round for years. A mainstream plastic kit of this aircraft is needed.
Henk
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Brews wrote:Ta 152s are Fw 190s. Simple.
My thread, and I say they're not (for the purposes of this thread). Simpler. :ha:
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

Noone has mentioned the Manchester in the under kitted section. It was an important aircraft that was in quantity production and squadron service. You cannot lump it in with "the Lancasters" either. What about the Lancaster derivatives, the Lancastrian and the York. Not an injection kit in sight. I might add the Wirraway the Wackett Trainer the Beaufreighter and several Mks of the Beaufighter. These have been kitted by High Planes but are not readily available.

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

has anyone mentioned vickers warwick?............was reading up about them only the other night........800+ a/c made, cant think of a kit by anyone tho......800+ is not an insignificant number
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

DH-Drover wrote:Noone has mentioned the Manchester in the under kitted section. It was an important aircraft that was in quantity production and squadron service. You cannot lump it in with "the Lancasters" either. What about the Lancaster derivatives, the Lancastrian and the York. Not an injection kit in sight.

Dai
I'd love a York, Halton and Lancastrian in 1/72 or 1/48...I'm surprised that Hasegawa at least didn't do a Lancastrian as part of its Lancaster series especially since it did do (from memory) a He-111Z which is much more obscure...I have the Contrail York conversion for which I will one day find a Lancaster kit to base on but it would be so nice to be able to build a nice one OOB...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

And coming back on topic... I've often wondered HOW some of these, let's say, "more obscure" subjects acquired sufficient "cool-factor" to be thought worthwhile kitting. Something like the Fairey Delta may only have been made in small numbers, but it did at least have a huge amount of publicity around it at the time, so the awareness must have been pretty high. But as Paul mentioned, the Land WasserSchlepper-thingy is hardly notorious, probably even among armour modellers who favour the Wehrmacht. Who on Earth does the market research that indicates that these more obscure by-ways are worth pursuing?

And while we're on personal hobby horses, why are there no mainstream 1/24 (or even 1/32) kits of the Jaguar C-Type (one of the most successful sports racing cars Britain has ever produced), or the Aston Martin DBR1 (one of the best looking)...

bestest,
M.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I think that it's easier to pick the seemingly under-kitted, as opposed to the over-kitted. The stuff that may fall into the latter category, at least within the field of aviation, does look 'cool' at least, (I'm thinking Me262's, Ar234's and Do335's).

There also seems to be a common theme amongst those over-kitted, in that they were the product of sometimes quite brilliant minds, working under intense pressures, to produce the best...so-called super-weapons, to win the un-winnable war. (From this, of course, we have the Luft '46 theme).

Pressure is a great motivator and, the greater the pressure, the greater the motivation and the greater the product.
On the Allied front, there appears to be less pressure to come up with the weird and wonderful and more to do with refining what already worked.

Only 20 Meteor F1's were built.
210 F3's

...But kits of these are common enough.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:I think that it's easier to pick the seemingly under-kitted, as opposed to the over-kitted. The stuff that may fall into the latter category, at least within the field of aviation, does look 'cool' at least, (I'm thinking Me262's, Ar234's and Do335's).

There also seems to be a common theme amongst those over-kitted, in that they were the product of sometimes quite brilliant minds, working under intense pressures, to produce the best...so-called super-weapons, to win the un-winnable war. (From this, of course, we have the Luft '46 theme).

Pressure is a great motivator and, the greater the pressure, the greater the motivation and the greater the product.
On the Allied front, there appears to be less pressure to come up with the weird and wonderful and more to do with refining what already worked.

Only 20 Meteor F1's were built.
210 F3's

...But kits of these are common enough.

Regards,
Bruce
And of course many of the Allied innovations just aren't modelling subjects. Centimetric radar, code breaking, flexible and responsive artillery groups etc. Lots of brilliant minds there, but working on different stuff.

Injection mouldedTiger Moth in 1/72 please!
Up in the Great White North
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Oh I don't know. I think a 1/144 diorama of a radar station being bombed by Stukas would be a pretty terrific model.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Brews wrote:As much as you talk about code-breaking, noone makes a model of an enigma machine, either. It would be a pretty boring model, unless it was 1:1 scale, and actually worked.
http://mckoss.com/Crypto/Enigma.htm; Basic model :-D

http://www.dave-reed.com/DIYenigma/; Working model :mrgreen:

And I still want a proper Tiger Moth in 1/72. How many pilots learned to fly in one? Quite a lot.
Up in the Great White North
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

What if the enigma was strapped to a sunderland flying boat under attach by AAA from a wolfpack of U-boats trying to steal it back. And Michael Bay is in the rear gun turret launching bazooka rockets back at the uboats. Somewhere there is a giant fireball of an explosion (modeled from cotton buds of course) :lol:
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Brews wrote:
mattbacon wrote:And coming back on topic...
The topic is WWII stuff, Matt :) It kind of rules out Fairey Deltas and sports cars ...
OK.... fair enough. Bruce's first line seems such a long time ago, though ;-). And anyway, I don't know anything about WW2 except Spitfires...

bestest,
M.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I'm faintly surprised that Dragon haven't made a 1/6th Enigma and radio set kit to go with action figures, like they do with some other bits of more explosive hardware...

bestest,
M.
arni

Post by arni »

Brews wrote:
Softscience wrote:What if the enigma was strapped to a sunderland flying boat under attach by AAA from a wolfpack of U-boats trying to steal it back. And Michael Bay is in the rear gun turret launching bazooka rockets back at the uboats. Somewhere there is a giant fireball of an explosion (modeled from cotton buds of course) :lol:
I think you're describing a Hollywood plot.
A pretty grim one too! LOL ;-)

Return to “Small Talk”