'Antique and Modern Firearms' construction kits

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

'Antique and Modern Firearms' construction kits

Post by Magician »

I remember many years ago buying and assembling some plastic, antique and modern, firearms construction kits.

The two that I remember most clearly were a 1880s 'cowboy' style revolver. It had a working cocking and trigger action and the chamber turned as it was cocked. The second one I assembled was a model of the 1911 Colt automatic. This one had a slide that moved and a magazine that slid out of the butt when the release was pressed.

They were both, so it was claimed, 1:1 scale although I remember that the magazine out of the plastic Colt 1911 kit didn't fit the metal replica Colt 1911 I also had at the time.

All three models were later 'borrowed' by nephews at various times and never returned. Odd that !

I'm wondering if it's still possible to find these plastic 1:1 construction kits ? I have checked the internet but can only find the occasional Derringer kits.

Does anyone know if they are still available ? Any assistance would be hugely appreciated.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: 'Antique and Modern Firearms' construction kits

Post by mattbacon »

They were made by LS, I think, and they were withdrawn from sale in the UK at least a couple of decades ago (and probably worldwide) because they looked completely real... You can still occasionally find them on eBay, but you're looking at several hundred pounds on up for a rifle like the AR-15 or AK-47. I suspect the handguns would be a couple of hundred quid, if you can find them...

bestest,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I remember building an LS Mauser "broom handle" pistol in the '70's, which was very realistic and had a fully working action. The model came with dummy shells which could be loaded into the magazine and pulling back on the cocking lever caused a shell to be ejected and fed the next one into the breach so it was possible to see how the real thing worked.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Magician »

I thought this might be the case. A bit ridiculous really when you can't buy a plastic model or a metal replica but you can, relatively easily, buy a deactivated 'real' item. Thanks Matt and Shaun for taking the time to respond.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

The antique ones can still be bought for reasonable sums. The flintlock or wheel lock pistols sell for £15 to £30. The Kentucky rifle for betwixt £50 and £100 though.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

...actually, what is quite ridiculous over here is that you can buy the real thing for less than the plastic kits.....bonkers...!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by B4en »

These were great kits. I had the Colt Automatic and Walther P38. I remember at some point something broke on the Colt and the recoil spring fired the slide off the barrel and across the room! The P38 was a gem. I think they got given away to other kids after I left home.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I used to have a few of these. They were by PYRO and were widely available. I had the dueling pistols, a flintlock and the Kentucky Rifle. I think I had a blunderbuss and I made quite a few for other people. I usually just polished the 'Wooden' bits. The 'Metal' bits were simply painted with Humbrol matt black and then this was rubbed off before it set fully. This gave the effect that we now call a colour wash. I actually found this by accident when I painted a piece of a model in the wrong colour.

Here's a link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pyro+ ... =925&dpr=1;

Here is the Deringer set.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Small Talk”