Miguelito's shiny work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Miguelito's shiny work bench

Post by AndrewR »

For Hurricanes, the wheelwells were finished in an aluminium paint.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

that's some nice cockpit detailing on the KK
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, gents.

A little more progress has been made on the Hurricanes...mainly the KK version. The fuselage went together perfectly, without a drop of seam filling. The fit is really great with just one small spot on the horizontal stabilizer that needs addressing. A test fit of the wings to the fuselage shows a nice fit too, with the only area needing addressing is a result of some overzealous sanding on my part.

The wheel wells are not closed up and are meant to allow the wheels to move up and down, which was awesome as a kid. :-D Nowadays, I'll be posing the wheels down, even though the kit comes with a fantastic stand. My inner child must be dead. :frown: I'll also close up the wells. Here's a shot of the KK wheel wells at the start...

...and a little more work...

...and all closed up...

...nothing too fancy, just enough to fill in the blank space. Here's the Airfix Hurricane's wheel well...

...and the completed cockpit for the Airfix...

Next up a little more assembly on both kits and some basic colors and primer. You'll notice that the Airfix kit has one set of guns in place, and the Keil Kraft's gun mounts did less than spectacular in the molding and 40 year storage process...

...so, I'm still working out how to fix that. I think I've got some plastic rod that will fit the bill.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Love what you've done with the wheel wells, particularly the use of recycled material 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Dazzled wrote:Love what you've done with the wheel wells, particularly the use of recycled material 8-)
With all my traveling, I seem to have picked up a recent stash of hotel keys that double pretty well as modeling supplies!

:-D :-D :-D
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

mjatx wrote:
Dazzled wrote:Love what you've done with the wheel wells, particularly the use of recycled material 8-)
With all my traveling, I seem to have picked up a recent stash of hotel keys that double pretty well as modeling supplies!

:-D :-D :-D
Good for you. I'm feeling quite inspired to keep an eye out for "potential plasticard" myself. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Can anyone tell me difference between the Hurricane MkIIB and the MkIIC? I think I like to do one of these models as a Soviet Hurricane, but it looks like the Soviets got MkIIBs only. I'm guessing the Soviet planes would have had guns instead of cannon, but were there other differences?
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I received a set of decals for the Hurricanes, and what a set it is. It has markings for 38 :shock: different planes!

One of these two kits will be Karel Kuttlewascher's night intruder Hurricane...

...and the other will be one of these two planes...

...not sure which one yet.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The Keil Kraft Hurricane is ready for some primer...

...the Airfix kit is close behind, so I'm going to hold off priming the KK and get two birds with one spray. I have to say for a 40 some odd year old kit the fit is pretty good. Wish I could say the same!
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

That's some nice scratch work
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Seconded. That's coming on a treat :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Now the Airfix is ready for some primer...

...the fit on this one is great too. It's rainy and wet, and I paint in the garage, so I'll probably hold off priming them until it dries out a little more. Probably tomorrow.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

mjatx wrote:Can anyone tell me difference between the Hurricane MkIIB and the MkIIC? I think I like to do one of these models as a Soviet Hurricane, but it looks like the Soviets got MkIIBs only. I'm guessing the Soviet planes would have had guns instead of cannon, but were there other differences?
According to my references the IIC had the four Hispano Cannons and a slightly different wing. I have some sketches from a book that show the general differences, do you want me to send you a scan?
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Migrant wrote:
mjatx wrote:Can anyone tell me difference between the Hurricane MkIIB and the MkIIC? I think I like to do one of these models as a Soviet Hurricane, but it looks like the Soviets got MkIIBs only. I'm guessing the Soviet planes would have had guns instead of cannon, but were there other differences?
According to my references the IIC had the four Hispano Cannons and a slightly different wing. I have some sketches from a book that show the general differences, do you want me to send you a scan?
That would be fantastic! Thanks for the offer.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

While the Hurricanes are awaiting primer, I thought I'd crack open another kit. In this case, it's Tamiya's 1/48 P-51D, specifically the Tuskegee Airmen version. It was a gift from my in-laws last Christmas and they'll be visiting us in a few weeks, so I thought I'd break it out and show them my appreciation for it, by at least having it started. I finished Step 1 of the instructions in about 10 minutes, which is mainly the cockpit...

...the level of detail is really great and the fit is great. It's been almost a year since I worked on a 1/48 scale kit, and this is my first Tamiya plane kit! Should be fun.

Return to “Workbench Window”