Purplethistles patch

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Purplethistles patch

Post by Purplethistle »

There is another photo of the actual shop as it looked in the 1930s and I'm sure I have another from the 50s in a book somewhere, I just can't find which book yet.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Mr Nancy wrote: It's funny, I'd forgotten about the bagged kits. How much were they? (For some reason I feel certain you'll remember.)
Well, at the time of decimalisation the series one bagged kits went from 2' 11d to 18p. The reason I remember that is because on the Saturday after old coins ceased to be accepted in shops, a lot of folks found it amusing to toss sixpences and thrupennies to me as I was playing with my wee polythene tanks & figures in the patch of bare earth opposite my close. In the course of the morning I had amassed the grand sum of 3' 8d! ....Fortunately your Mum and the wee woman in the newsagent at the top of Vernon Street took pity on me and accepted the coins for an Airfix Typhoon, a Victor comic and a bunch of sweets :-D ....I always remember the important stuff, according to my sister, what'shername? :ha:
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Fantastic stories and connections! Love the little guy outside the window. Although I was not in the UK, it certainly reminds me of gawking at the window of the local model shop in my home town. Very cool to see the old photos! :grin:
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

The diorama came about because I had spent a lot of time researching for a painting of 'The first time I saw the big Airfix Spitfire'...a big moment in the life of modellers of a certain age!

When I got hold of an Airfix Triumph Herald a couple of years ago, I remembered it being one of the kits that I got from your Mums shop and thought that it would be a nice symmetry to include one in a diorama of the shop...along with a little representation of a model Herald in the window (very Flann O'Brien)

The fancy goods window....

Not as Nancys, but an old photo of the location of the shop from 1939.

59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by 59North »

I'm finding this discussion quite interesting. Memories of simpler times. It's cool.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Found this whilst looking for the Gift Shop window painting, how as a nipper I used to amuse myself at the Police box along the road at Queens Cross.

iggie

Post by iggie »

That's excellentl PT :-D

It has the air of a Giles cartoon :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mr Nancy
starter kit

Post by Mr Nancy »

Awesome pictures and memories, thanks!!! I have no idea how you've managed to find these photos but I'm sure it wasn't easy. Impressive paintings too, and nice that it's of interest to 59North, - thanks for the comment there. Funny to think that kids dressed in boxes playing around the streets didn't seem too out of the ordinary back then (pre- computers). I haven't seen one recently.
So, ... you paid 2/11 in old money which we could no longer use! We did a fair bit of accepting unuseable "old money" in the first week of the changeover and do you know what? ...... I've still got it all in a drawer, no doubt including your 2/11!! It must have been a Monday (for the Victor).
And, as a vaguely-connected sub-note (re. your "WHO" models); - I left Nancy's Gift Shop to go to London to seek my fortune as a guitarist (without quite the success I'd hoped for as it turned out). I played an SG (initially), worked in THE WHO's studio (Ramport, - long-gone now) where Pete allowed me access to his "Guitar Cupboard". Ooooooh, for me like your first sight of the big Spitfire. I worked extensively with Pete Townsend's brother-in-law, Jon Astley, and witnessed probably the last act of destruction by Keith Moon as he semi-destroyed our dressing-room in The Marquee Club a week before he died following a disagreement with me over a pint of Guinness (he had come along to see us play but had nicked my pint. - He was just showing off, - I think?).
Here's a link to something I've found, uploaded to You-Tube, which I see has a photo of me from the late 70's (in guitar mode). You may recognise me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjEuzf3f1M;
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Mr Nancy wrote:Awesome pictures and memories, thanks!!! I have no idea how you've managed to find these photos but I'm sure it wasn't easy. Impressive paintings too, and nice that it's of interest to 59North, - thanks for the comment there. Funny to think that kids dressed in boxes playing around the streets didn't seem too out of the ordinary back then (pre- computers). I haven't seen one recently.
So, ... you paid 2/11 in old money which we could no longer use! We did a fair bit of accepting unuseable "old money" in the first week of the changeover and do you know what? ...... I've still got it all in a drawer, no doubt including your 2/11!! It must have been a Monday (for the Victor).
And, as a vaguely-connected sub-note (re. your "WHO" models); - I left Nancy's Gift Shop to go to London to seek my fortune as a guitarist (without quite the success I'd hoped for as it turned out). I played an SG (initially), worked in THE WHO's studio (Ramport, - long-gone now) where Pete allowed me access to his "Guitar Cupboard". Ooooooh, for me like your first sight of the big Spitfire. I worked extensively with Pete Townsend's brother-in-law, Jon Astley, and witnessed probably the last act of destruction by Keith Moon as he semi-destroyed our dressing-room in The Marquee Club a week before he died following a disagreement with me over a pint of Guinness (he had come along to see us play but had nicked my pint. - He was just showing off, - I think?).
Here's a link to something I've found, uploaded to You-Tube, which I see has a photo of me from the late 70's (in guitar mode). You may recognise me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjEuzf3f1M;

Excellent! So it wasn't a coincidence that you totally rocked the Paul Rodgers singing All right now on T.O.T.P. look? (further coincidence, I've recently bought tickets to see his gig in May). Having said that, the photos don't have the puzzled look that you usually had as I mangled the pronunciation of the bagged kit that I was asking for from the selection tacked to the high shelf that ran around the shop.
'Beautyfighter' being the one I remember most clearly as you immediately looked at the bagged kits and the Beau was a series 2 boxed kit because I had got extra pocket money for a particularly good school report card. I was 7 years old so you can imagine what a job I made of kits that I could hardly even pronounce!
(It wasn't just you I did that to. Once, in the shoe shop along at the corner with Avenuepark Street I couldn't at the time figure why I had caused such amusement when I declared that the shoes that I wanted were the 'Tuf Grand Prix' .....on reflection I should have used the correct French pronounciation :roll:
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Some great memory joggers bouncing around on here PT, nice one. Used to love Creamola (and Creamola Foam). Place I loved to go when I was a weeyin was at Parkhead, Cook's newsagent. Loads of Airfix at the back.
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Edinburgh tram for the Cargo haulers GB.

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Such a strange subject but so cool.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Just picked up a Hobby Boss Zero to do this for the 'One for the books'- ( builds based on the subjects of books or comics ) GB in April.

I plan to airbrush out the Zero on the cover and use it as a backdrop with the kit mounted in the same position against the picture.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

An interesting pair of builds PT!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

The troops loiter as they wait for Operation Sea Lion to begin.......

....and as luck would have it, the Sea Lion book I ordered has arrived in the post today

Return to “Workbench Window”