Justin's workbench.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Re: Justin's workbench.

Post by bromo »

Lynx turned out really good and you seem to have really got the aircraft bug :ha: wait till the stash monster relly takes hold of you.

Martin
BEEN A WHILE
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Well some more progress,

I hope I am doing the model justice! :ha:

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

Does the Hurricane come with the Rocket Pods under the wings as shown on the box?
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Saxon wrote:Does the Hurricane come with the Rocket Pods under the wings as shown on the box?
I think those are external fuel tanks, I think the Mk IV was the only variant to carry rockets.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Saxon,

Paul is right they are fuel tanks, by the insructions you can build a number of variants,

Mk I - Clean no hard points
MkIIB - Bombs or the depicted fuel tanks
Mk IID - Two 40mm AT cannons
Mk IV - Rockets

Hope this helps and thanks Paul

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

ahhh i wasn't sure if they were rocket pods and fuel tanks! I haven't seen many 1/72 scale Hurricanes with anything under the wings.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

And the building is complete, now just need to make it look half decent :) (hairy stick time!)

Any tips on wheel painting? Mine were mmmmm best not use that language!!!! :lol:

Justin
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Hi justin,

I always mount my wheels on the end of a cocktail stick as its much easier to handle and paint them that way. It looks like you used black on the tyres? I often use humbrol matt black and find that where there is a rim it helps to thin the paint a little so that when carefully applied it just flows around the edge. I nearly always leave the wheels, undercarriage doors and legs off until the model is finished - I find it easier to paint them seperately.

Hope it helps.

Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Cheers Stu, will have to try that next time, I did use matt black on the wheels.

Well the painting has commenced

Justin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

When I do camo, I paint the whole upper surface the one paler colour and then add the darker colour on top. I find I reduce brush marks this way and saves time faffing about trying to replicate the pattern twice.
My weak points are canopies.
I now mask these first and add them before I start the painting. Masked, I can just slap the paint on, without worrying about spoiling the paint later.

Regards,
Bruce
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Thanks Bruce,

I dont think I am ready yet to mask the canopy! I may try it on the next build. As for the camo I painted the whole model with the grey before I started adding the Green, just needs to be finished then add a second coat. Have throughly enjoyed the Hurricane, just need a Mark 1 Spitfire then a couple of german aircraft, Uh oh more for the stash !

Justin
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Hurricane looks great so far. I myself have just started masking canopies, I really jumped in the deep end with a lancaster canopy. I normally do them with a cocktail stick.
I don't know whether it is an illusion or not but the spinner on the Hurricane seems to be a tad to big, I wonder is it a problem with the kit?

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Cheers Paul,

I am not sure if it is too big but I can see what you mean from the picture, wonder if anyone out there knows if its to scale or not? As for masking, I think I may try something a little smaller than a lancaster !

Justin :lol:
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Lovely looking paint job so far :) again im another modeller who has only just started painting the canopies, personnally i dont like the masking the method and just try free hand with a small bruch and a cocktail stick to wipe away the bits i dont want, got a real challenge next, a 1/144 Lancaster canopy :shock:
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

The Hurricane is looking good. I paint my tires gunmetal as I find the black is to dark. The gunmetal gives the tire a slight bluish tint which I think is more realistic looking. As for canopies, they are a tough one for me. I suck at masking, and horrible at the cocktail stick. I usually result to masking one or two frames at a time but it takes so damn long.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “Workbench Window”