Alecras' Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

ready to paint!

Post by alecras234 »

Hi i have finished building my first mk1a spitfire, not perfect as there are gaps in a few places like where the wings join onto the fuselage but i thought that paint would fill the gaps.

I know i should follow the diagram on the box to paint the model but where the aircraft is white underneath, how do i get the straight line where the camouflage ends? i have difficulty using my hands so masking tape would be difficult. Thanks.

Ash
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: ready to paint!

Post by Ian »

Ash, the paint probably won't fill the gaps. It's worth investing in some filler and some sanding materials.
As for the straight line, if you're going to have problems with using tape then I can't think of a solution other than asking someone to stick it down for you.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

ok so which masking tape do i need and along where on the model do i stick the tape?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Yellow Tamiya masking tape is used by lots of people, including me.

Paint the light colour on first and paint a little bit over where the line will be. Let it dry thoroughly. Then put the tape on so that one edge forms the demarcation line. The tape goes over the paint you put on, but you should see the light coloured paint sticking out from under the tape all along the line.
Now paint on the other colour(s). If using a brush, go from the tape onto the plastic (otherwise you get a ridge of paint building up at the edge of the tape).

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

This may help you, Ash.
http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/9852/I ... ild?page=1;

It's a demo build I did a few years ago and covers the start-to-finish process. On page 3 you'll see what Andrew means about where to place the tape.
Hope this helps.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Asoka »

Hi Ash,

Go ahead and give it your best shot, main thing is to enjoy yourself! No one will mind if things are not perfect, just look at the travesties I create! :grin:

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: new build

Post by alecras234 »

I have finished the build, im not happy with it as the wings are fitted properly and the undercarriage isnt right. ive had to put the wheels up but one side the wheel has fitted into the wing fine but the other wheel is sticking out and im not happy. i couldnt get the wheel to click into place before i glued the wheel bar thingy to the wing. Shold i start again and buy a new model? they're cheap to buy. At least i know where ive gone wrong with the model ive just built and i can correct it with a new build.
coptermech
Active Participant

Re: new build

Post by coptermech »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just chalk it up as a learning experience. I'm sure its not all that bad. As for one side sitting a bit proud of the wing, just call it an on approach landing and the gear has just unlocked and is ready to come down. One side sometimes starts lowering first. So, as far as I see it, you did a fantastic job.

Oh, and if you can post a pic, we'd all like to see.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
alecras234
Active Participant

help with kits

Post by alecras234 »

My name is ash, im 35 and im disabled from north wales. I have limited movement and use a wheelchair. I enjoy looking at aircraft models and i decided to have a go at building a spitfire. I bought a spitfire mk1a, the pieces are so small and are difficult to grip. I cant use my hands very well, cant use my right hand only to stop something from moving with my fist and my left hand is also clenched but not as much as my right hand. The airfix kit that i bought is 1;72 spitfire mk1a beginner kit, level 1. I found a few tools to help me to build the model which are, Emery boards to sand,a clipper to cut pieces off the sprue, liquid poly and bulldog clips to hold fuselage together while i run liquid poly along the seem.

I was thinking of buying one of those new airfix quick build kits which would save getting to areas of the build that i’d find difficult, and its quick and easy. Then i thought what if i bought a bigger scale model, not too big so there would be more room to paint the model as it’d be bigger and the pieces would be bigger and easier to handle, plus it may be easier to paint. what do you think please?
fredk

Re: help with kits

Post by fredk »

The new Airfix Quickbuilds are like Lego bricks. A bigger model just has more pieces, and some of them as small as the ones you have difficulty with.
A company called Pegasus makes nice snap-together aeroplanes in 1/48th scale. They do a Spitfire, Hurricane, Messerschmitt 109 and 262, a P51 Mustang and a Japanese Zero. The kits cost around the £8 to £10 range.
So far I've only built the Spitfire. It went together easily and looks quite nice when built up. It didn't have any fiddly parts.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

i have built a spitfire 1:72 scale with wheels up. can anyone tell me where and how do i mask where the body is white? do i have to mask? is there an easier way rather than masking? i cant find a spitfire snap together model on pegasus website.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Here is a link to show you what the pegasuskits look like, if you scroll down a bit you will see the spitfire

http://www.hobbylinc.com/pegasus_snap_t ... tic_models;

hannants of the UK carries the kit:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PH8410;
Honcho of ASMMF
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Hi Ash,

The snap together kits are a good idea, if you can't get a spitfire, get the P-51 Red tail. A Mustang is a bit bigger that a Spitfire and in 1/48 is a nice size to handle.

My advice for masking is, if your having problems then don't do it - just either paint the lines freehand or draw a line in pencil and paint up to it. Rember this is paint so if you go a bit wobbly you can just let it dry and tidy it later!

I did my current build without tape and although its not perfect, I'm happy with it and thats the point, its your model, so as long as you enjoy it and have fun it dosn't matter what it looks like!

Let us know how you get on and post some pics - we like pictures around here !

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

shall i follow http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/9852/I ... ild?page=1; for my builds? having steps like this to follow may make my builds a little easier. What do you think? should i follow the same steps for every build such as the mk1 spitfire which im having difficulty with, but having steps to follow may make it easier.
alecras234
Active Participant

help with building

Post by alecras234 »

hi im disabled and use a wheelchair, i have limited mobility but i enjoy airfix modelling. I've had beginner kits for about six months and every build i mess up, i cant get pieces to click in place when dry fitting. i havent even reached decalling or even painting. Could you advise me what steps i do when building,

When i look at the instructions for a build, for every step i cut the pieces off the sprue and file using an emery board to the best i can, a few bits i have trouble filing down. Then do i put a piece thats been filed onto a blob of blue tac ready to paint or is it best to glue the pieces together before painting?

shall i follow http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/9852/I; ... ild?page=1 for my builds? having steps like this to follow may make my builds a little easier. What do you think? should i follow the same steps for every build such as the mk1 spitfire which im having difficulty with, but having steps to follow may make it easier.

Return to “Workbench Window”