Alecras' Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: are snap kits good or bad?

Post by Ian »

If you follow the link I posted earlier you can see what the Humbrol equivalents are.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

im sorry but im trying to get this clear in my head. to build an aircraft from scratch i soak the sprues in warm soapy water then let them dry.Then look at the instruction sheet, for each stage do i paint the pieces? for example first step is the pilot, do i paint him before taking off the sprue and then file him once ive painted and taken him off the sprue? Stage 2 is the cockpit, again do i paint that while attached to the sprue and then file once its off the sprue, and follow the same for each step that in the instruction sheet, paint on the sprue, file glue.

Should i look at where pieces are to be glued and miss out those areas when painting and touch up later on when its all fitted, will it look ok after touch ups?
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by IvanV22 »

I try to paint as much as possible after assembly, but sometimes I have to paint before , like if it gets hard to reach.
Now I use mostly Acryl paint (mostly Vallejo ) , just wash the brushes in water and it doesn’t smell so much.
About fitting issues, in modelling mages I\ve read many articles where even experts get it wrong, everybody makes mistakes, and it could also be the kit that has mixed parts numbers or just has a bad fit…
Just remember the most important thing is to have FUN!!!
If you like it, then its OK, just relax and have fun!!!
Best from Ivan
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

The Hobbyboss 1/72 single engine WW2 fighters are also close to be snap kits, minimum parts you might need to use a little glue in places but the kits are cheap and they are very quick and easy.
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Here is an idea, consider making Paper aircraft!

Just get a sheet of paper and look for instructions on how to make a paper aircraft by folding.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: help with building

Post by alecras234 »

hi im starting a build today of the mk1a spitfire, how do i stick that instrument panel sticker onto the cockpit?
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Cut out the decal.
Soak in water for 20 - 30 seconds.
Leave till it moves freely on the backing paper.
Slide into position.

If you remove the top from the box, there are some guides printed on the sides of the bottom half of the box.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

what do you mean remove to top from the box?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

alecras234 wrote:what do you mean remove to top from the box?
I think Ian is referring the the Airfix boxes which have a lid and a tray. There is additional info in the sides of the tray.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Thanks James. That's clearer.
alecras234
Active Participant

beginner kits

Post by alecras234 »

hi im building an airfix spitfire and i need to put a decal on the instrument panel in the cockpit. where on the box of the beginners level 1 kit are the decal instructions please?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: beginner kits

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think the instrument panel decal placement is straight forward? ie on the instrument panel part. It would be a small black and with white dials. I don't have a beginners kit but the main decalling I think are on the back of the box which will only show external decals. Internal decal such as the instrument panel will be shown in the construction diagrams.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

how would i stick the instrument panel to the plastic? i cant see instructions for the internal decal, it just indicates where it goes in the instruction sheet.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup Algy...

The same as for any other Decal. A gloss black finish to the part, Klear. And once dry, Microset and Microsol.
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Decals will adhere well to the plastic or a gloss coat of paint. There is an issue with matt paint called "silvering" where the clear film remains visible, but the decals should still adhere if you follow the instructions on the sheet. Soak in tempid water and when they start to move on the backing paper slide them into place. A paint brush is useful for placing small decals. Press them down with a cotton bud to remove water and air bubbles. If you find the small decals to troublesome don't worry just leave them off and put the roundels and codes on.

Feanor's post is the more advanced solution but you simply need to give you model a coat of gloss varnish before applying the decals if you want to avoid the silvering, but as this is your first model I would just concentrate on getting them on.

Return to “Workbench Window”