Alecras' Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: Alecras' Workbench

Post by alecras234 »

so what you're saying is to wet the deal and lay it on the table, then use tweezers to pick up the decal off the backing paper and put on model? sorry im not with you, do you have a diagram please?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

alecras234 wrote:so what you're saying is to wet the deal and lay it on the table, then use tweezers to pick up the decal off the backing paper and put on model? sorry im not with you, do you have a diagram please?
Cut out the individual decal you want to apply, and soak in warm water as usual.
Place the wetted decal and backing paper flat on your table, decal upper-most.
Use a finger to slide the decal to the edge of the wetted paper.
Use needle pointed tweezers to then pick up the decal ONLY, leaving the backing paper on the table.
Holding the decal in the tweezers, apply to model
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

wouldn't the tweezers tear the decal?
iggie

Post by iggie »

alecras234 wrote:wouldn't the tweezers tear the decal?
No, as long as it is ready to come away from the backing paper then it'll be fine; that's part of the reason for sliding the decal to the edge of the paper, if it won't slide, it ain't ready!

Use some spare decals to try it; that way you won't muck up any you need for your model
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

ok thanks i'll try that. i have a bottle of humbrol decalfix, would you recommend using this instead of water or shall i use both?
iggie

Post by iggie »

alecras234 wrote:ok thanks i'll try that. i have a bottle of humbrol decalfix, would you recommend using this instead of water or shall i use both?
I wouldn't use decal fix to soak decals in, just plain warm water. Put a small drop of decalfix on the model before you place the decal and it'll help it to settle down into any panel lines
Best wishes

Jim
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Don't used tweezers, you'll rip the decal. Use a wet brush to transfer the decal from the backing sheet to the model.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

I use tweezers all the time for decalling and never rip the decals; for applying them one handed as Alec requires, the paintbrush idea would not be ideal, as it needs both hands......

As with all things modelling, each to their own, and advice is given by all with the intention of helping; trial and error is essential!
Best wishes

Jim
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Cut the decal out.
Dip it in water.
Put it on cutting mat and allow water to soak until the decal loosens.
Use brush to lift decal from backing sheet and transfer it to the model.

You can do this one-handed.... I do all the time :ha:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

i have put decals on but the roundals have like round patches around the roundals. humbrol i used decalfix to seal the decals.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

I use Acrylic paints, i brush paint, what can i use as a water holder to wash my brushes between coats of paint? I did use a tumblar that i used after brushing my teeth with, but the paint has dried and the tumblar needs binning.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I use anything that will hold sufficient water that I don't need for anything else, for as you have discovered, even if the water doesn't dry out totally, the pigments in the paint will stick to anything, even glass :shock:
Aerosol can tops, Chinese takeaway containers, plastic drinking cups (the sort you get from water coolers).....anything really!
Best wishes

Jim
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

i am building anoth spitfire mk 1a but im having problems putting the cockpiit together the way the instructions tell me. Should i follow the illustrations or try fitting a different way, a way that's easier for me?
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Try any way that is easy and comfortable for you, after all most of the cockpit won;t be seen when it;s finished.
Good luck.
Rich.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Rightly or wrongly I often view instructions as being a guide as to how to assemble a model rather than as being set in stone :grin: If you can see a way that is different to that set out by the kit manufacturer but seems to make more sense to you then go for it. If you do deviate from the instructions, just be careful not to miss out any of the parts.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”