Alecras' Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: Alecras' Workbench

Post by alecras234 »

i have finished my 1 72 spitfire model with landing gear up. How do i make a stand for the model using bits of sprue?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

PM me your address and I'll send you an Airfix stand if you'd like. Making one from scratch from sprue is not the easiest option!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

I have painted over the whole where the stand slots into the model
iggie

Post by iggie »

No worries, you can usually cut it open afterwards if you know roughly where it is, or cut the top of the stand off flat and superglue it to the aircraft
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

I have bought an airfix starter hurricane in 1 72 scale but I have trouble opening the little pots of paint without it spilling over my hands. How can I open them easily, should I use a cocktail stick to open?
iggie

Post by iggie »

They are tricky little so an so's to open at the best of times; I cut the bit that links the lid to the pot and then use a small flat bladed screwdriver to prise the top off. I get the blade in between the lid and put and then twist it.
I generally don't put the lid back on but use sellotape to cover the open pot
Best wishes

Jim
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

so if i cut the lid off and then could use cellophane to cover the paint pot where the lid was before cutting it off??
iggie

Post by iggie »

Yep that should work as long as it forms a seal to stop the paint drying out
Best wishes

Jim
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

thanks i'll try that. i starting the 1 72 hurricane starter set but i'm having trouble clipping the wing halves together, i line them up on the bench then press down but they slide away from each other. How do i get them to line up and clip together please?
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

im looking for filler to use on my models, i use acrylic paint, which filler do you recommend using that's water based ? Is humbrol filler ok to use, is it water based?
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

im looking for filler to use on my models, i use acrylic paint, which filler do you recommend using that's water based ? Is humbrol filler ok to use, is it water based?
iggie

Post by iggie »

Hi Ash
I'd recommend Perfect Plastic Putty; it's water based, easy to use and sands easily. Search for it on eBay and you should find it for around £6 including postage
Best wishes

Jim
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

I have perfect plastic putty but I have to squeeze the tube really tightly but nothing comes out as its dried inside. I could do with filler that's in a pot that I can paint on, that would be easier.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Off hand I can't think of any modelling filler that comes in a pot but whatever the container make sure that you don't leave it laying around for long periods with the cap or lid off otherwise the filler will dry up inside. With the tube variety I usually squeeze a small amount for use on the model onto an old jar lid and then replace the tube cap immediately. The filler will harden eventually due to the exposure to air but replacing the cap regularly will make a tube last much longer.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

When i bought the perfect plastic putty i put the lid on tight each time but now when i squeeze it nothing comes out only a tiny amount. How can i use what's in the tube?

Return to “Workbench Window”