John's Wall of Plastic

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

John's Wall of Plastic

Post by johnsan »

So 6 months of so later, I'm back.

Much has happened and I haven't been building so much. On a positive side, I also haven't been buying much either. Not that I need any more plastic.

What I have been doing is working, buying a house, and moving into it. So now I have a new man cave. I've also unloaded stuff that's been in storage since 2002. So now I have my stash from Hawaii to add to my stash from Europe and Japan.

Among the kits I've been separated from for so long was this:

This the autogyro A-7-3A from Ace-Jumi from the Ukraine. I'd have to say this is the worst kit I've ever seen. It was a gift, well a curse really, from a friend. It's a kit I've wanted to make for quite a while. I haven't been able to find much reference to this plane. Oh, that little blob above the 2 sprues is the prop. Ugly.

I've some other things on the bench as well, such as a Hasegawa Wildcat conversion to an FM-2, a Dragon Type XXIII sub, and a Revell 7 ton half-track.

Pictures of these later.
Really nothing pithy to say.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: John's Wall of Plastic

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome Back ! So how many TEUs did it take to gather your stash in one place :grin:

I have a book on autogiro's with lot's of pix and drawings, but it's pretty much US-only - Pitcairn & Kellett.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

I never counted the TEUs, but there were about 15 large shipping boxes of models. There was roughly the same volume of books.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Goodness! Welcome home, John! Where are you located now? And how's the health?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Dayton. Seems an ok place. Wish we were out west with family, butts gotta go where the work is.

Health is good, thanks.
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

It may seems the worst kit of the world, but the subject is intriguing and unusual , it deserves to be considered! :)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Absolutely, Guilio.

It's on the bench currently. The parts are so bad that I suspect that I suspect it will be easier to scratch build most of them. I've started with the rotors from some plastic blanks. No pictures because they are just plastic being shaped.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great to see you around John. I think that kit is worthy of your attention.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see you back and that certainly is a wall of boxes. I'm sure you'll have hours of fun knocking that autogiro into shape - the parts on the sprue are certainly amongst the worst I've ever seen.

BTW - what on earth is a TEU, some kind of shipping container?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

More on the A-7. This was a design by Kamov and was the first (maybe only) armed autogyro used in combat. This particular version was used as a light bomber, but rather unsuccessfully. So this is a somewhat significant aircraft. It was powered by a Shvestov M-22, a licensed copy of the Bristol Jupiter. I've found reference to at least 3 other injection 72nd A-7 kits, including a fairly recent one by A-Model. There's also at least 2 paper models available on-line. I'll be building this one as I already have it and it does look a challenge.

Shawn - a TEU is a Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit, a standard unit used by shipping lines for bulk estimation.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Welcome back, John.
Dayton! Lots of model references in that dirty great USAF Museum, you lucky fellow. You might even get to help on the full-size restorations!

Cheers,

David
philp

Post by philp »

John,
You do know the US Nats are in Columbus this year (July). I am planning on coming out there if the finances hold out. Figure on spending a couple nights in Dayton to see the Museum and then head down to the show. If you are around, maybe we can talk plastic.

Also did a quick Google images search and some good stuff out there on the A-7. A very nice build in paper in 1/33rd scale. I still don't know how people get that nice a looking model from paper.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Welcome back John! Impressive collection. And first subject is just a beginning of another blast path full of astonishing models!
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Well I haven't totally dropped off line again. I've been using my wife's laptop to post. It can sometimes be difficult to grab hold of. No problems. I just set up the old computer on the work bench like I had before. It'll be easier to post now.

So. No further work on the Kamov. I've got the Type XXIII U-boat ready for paint. The half track is mostly painted and mostly glued together. The 2 Wildcats are almost ready for paint. A bit of scribing needed for both. Probably do that this weekend. Photos soon.

Thanks for the warm welcome back.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Got my photo station set up. Updates should be quicker now. I'm playing with backgrounds. Please be patient.

I'm working on several things right now. Going through the storage stash, I've found nearly 50 started kits. Among these are Dragon's 1/350 Type XXI submarine, Hasegawa's I-16, F4F, SBD, and bunch of other things.

Dragon's XXI is a sweet little kit. Worth picking up if run across.

I started converting this Wildcat to an FM-2 about 15 years ago. The rudder was extended with plastic sheet. The cowl was a spare from an Academy B-17. I thought it was ready for paint. Opening the box, it was apparent that it needed more work. Filler I used either shrunk or I hadn't applied it properly. I also wasn't happy with the exhaust cutouts I'd made. So more filling, filling and sanding got me here. I need to make the exhaust cutouts and do some scribing. I'm pondering on a paint scheme. I'm leaning towards tri-color with rockets and a droptank.

I also have a Wildcat that I started converting to a F4F-3. It's in about the same status as the FM-2. Needs some scribing. I have taken any photos of it yet.

I also found a I-16 that is almost ready for paint. It needs some broken seams filled and cleaning to get the gunk of storage off it.

I had some plan for this one, but I have no idea what that was. Have to figure something out.

I also found a painted and decaled 190A. Time hasn't been kind to it.

This will be refinished. I like the build quality, but the finish is not so good.

Which leaves us Revell's armored SdKfz7. I like this kit, but it is a fiddly build. Should look decent enough when done.

There's a few things on the bench as well. More on them later. Also thinking of doing a blitzbau as I've got this week off.

Return to “Workbench Window”