SBO's workshop

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: SBO's workshop

Post by TobyC »

If you hadn't mentioned it I'm sure no one would've noticed. Nice work so far
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SBO »

Greetings all! I realise it has been aaaaages since I actually contributed anything to this fine forum of ours, so I thought I would put that right in here. To cut a long story short, I couldn't really upload anything as I was involved in a protracted battle with a certain internet service provider to get something approaching workable internet. That turned out not to be forthcoming, so I sucked up the cancellation fee and switched provider, meaning I can now upload photos again! My modelling had been put somewhat on hold as I knew I would be purchasing a compressor and airbrush in the near future and so wanted to wait until I had them before painting anything. I now have those so, coupled with my internet, I reckon I can start contributing once more to this fine forum!

First, an update on the Me 109. Unfortunately (as I may have said earlier) I suspect damp got into the plastic as it has been horribly brittle, and when I went to glue the leg strut on, it basically collapsed and the locating lug snapped off, but not before the locating hole became deformed due to the glue (don't know how that happened - I used the usual tiny amount of glue. Maybe damp again?). The end result is a plane that sits on one wheel and a wing. I think the fate of this piece will be to become a diorama of a bombed out Me 109. It's a shame, but I am quite looking forward to the challenge of getting the crater and bomb damage to look good.

So, to get me back into the swing of things I started two kits I have had kicking around the stash for a while, both of them Airfix kits: the Spitfire Mk.II a in 1/48 scale, and the Tiger Moth in 1/72 scale. First off, the Spitfire:

Two things niggle me about this. Firstly, I think I had the paint consistency too thin. Secondly, I tried to lighten the RAF interior grey colour as to my knowledge early war aircraft interiors were lighter than mid-to-late war aircraft, but I don't think I lightened it enough. It looked like the right colour, but seems to have dried darker. But hey ho, this is why we do this isn't it? It's all a learning experience! I could go back and re-do it, but frankly I am viewing these kits as a learning experience anyway so am happy to let this slide. I figure once I have weathered this it will look better.
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
SBO

Post by SBO »

Secondly, the Tiger Moth:

This one is literally flying together, if you will excuse the pun. So quick in fact that I forgot to take any photographs of the interior painted and weathered! :oops: I didn't get rid of the injector pin marks because I don't think they will visible when constructed (I am not opening this one up as a) I don't think the detail level really warrants it b) I don't have any razor blades with which to do it and c) this is supposed to be an easy straight forward build!). Please take my word for it though that the interior looks very pleasing to the eye when painted up and weathered. The instrument panel decals were a nightmare though - I trimmed the carrier film away but they still wouldn't fit. It took oodles of persuasion (not all of it so gentle), swearing and setting solution to get them to look anywhere near decent. I will try and get a photograph once the masking tape is removed.

For the immediate future I have the Bf 110 C in 1/72 scale that I think I am going to try next. The interior detail is unfortunately woeful, so I may try and pick a photo etch interior set for it. If not, then the kit I buy to do next will almost certainly have some sort of upgrade pack - I am thinking I may try my hand at the Airfix 1/72 Zero as I have a real soft spot for the aircraft!

Until next time,

I must fly!
SBO

Post by SBO »

Got a wee bit more done this afternoon - I have done some detailing on the instrument panel of the Spitfire. This photo is a (now I look at it on the PC horribly blurry!) photo of the instrument panel just after applying some Micro Kristal Klear. I am trying to get the effect of glass for the dials, so we will see how it turns out!

Marek

Post by Marek »

nice work on these offices so far
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

What plans have you for the Tiger Moth? Such a sweet little kit.
Really nothing pithy to say.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Both the Spitfire and the Tiger Moth are coming along very nicely. The Tiger Moth is really a great kit. I built one earlier. The trickiest bit was the delicateness of the wing struts. Too heavy a finger and they break! Are you enjoying the airbrush?
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
SBO

Post by SBO »

Thanks for the comments! :grin:
johnsan wrote:What plans have you for the Tiger Moth? Such a sweet little kit.
I am building the scheme supplied with the kit - the yellow fuselage with camo wings. I plan on rigging it, which will be the first time I have ever rigged something. Feeling slightly nervous about it to be honest, though looking forward to the challenge too.
PGAS wrote:The Tiger Moth is really a great kit. I built one earlier. The trickiest bit was the delicateness of the wing struts. Too heavy a finger and they break! Are you enjoying the airbrush?
Thanks for the warning. I am putting a great deal of thought into how I tackle the wing struts so hopefully I can avoid snapping them. I have had enough of tiny parts snapping with the Me 109! in answer to your question, yes, I am absolutely loving the airbrush. I still have a lot to learn and I think my control will get much better, but the results I have achieved with it are already over and above that I could have ever achieved with a hairy stick.
SBO

Post by SBO »

A little bit more progress to share as of this afternoon. Firstly, the little Tiger Moth. I took the masking tape off the fuselage yesterday and started to file down some small ridges along the joins. To do this I first used a file, then some wet and dry sandpaper, followed by Tamiya's 3000 grade sanding sponge before finally using various grades of Alclad polishing cloths. I find this gives a lovely smooth edge. Unfortunately at the front there are some more severe raised edges which will need a modicum of filler. My plan is to get the nose and lower wing on so that I can get the whole thing to come to a lovely smooth edge. I am going to use Mr. Dissolved Putty for the job so I won't obliterate the fine detailing around the area.

So here is the little thing with the lower wing on. I love the swept back aspect of the Tiger Moth's wings. Honestly, if ever I win the lottery I'll take flying lessons and buy myself one of these planes. I absolutely love them!

Yesterday I mentioned the issue with the instrument panel decals. I managed to get an almost-acceptable photograph of them today. I am happy enough with how they have turned out:

And now on to the Spitty. The cockpit is starting to come together, with the sub-assemblies getting bigger and there being less individual parts. I have done some weathering in the form of an oil wash, and all I have to do now is get the stick and gun sight on before closing it all up.

Cockpit side walls. The oil wash is a heavily thinned mix of artist's oil paints burnt umber and ivory black applies liberally with a brush (great fun):

The Kristal Klear on the instrument panel has now dried, and although it is hard to see in this photo, I am really happy with the result.

On the seat I mixed up the colours myself. With the leather I tried to lather the paint on quite thickly to try and give the impression of leather that has started to crack (as well as giving it that shine that you only get from splathering the stuff on). Not sure if I would use the technique again (it just looks a bit like I'm a bad painter :ha: ) but again, this is meant to be a stress free build for me to get back into the swing of things and to try out new techniques so I am not overly bothered. At the bottom of the seat you can see where I drilled out holes to add an extra little bit of realism.

And lastly, the most important tool in a modeller's arsenal: liquid refreshment, which in this case comes in the form of a pint of Hobgoblin:

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a bottle of (appropriately enough!) Spitfire waiting for me so thank you all for looking and I shall bid you all adieu! :beer:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice work on both and an excellent choice of refreshment!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
SBO

Post by SBO »

Thank you! I shall be enjoying another dose of said refreshment, just as soon as I finish this wee nip of Tomintoul - Sunday afternoons eh?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I approve of the modelling very much and most certainly approve of the Hobgoblin. :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
celt

Post by celt »

Nice work,not a fan of Hobgoblin,prefer Brains Dark. :beer:

Return to “Workbench Window”