Paul's Attempts

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Paul's Attempts

Post by ShaunW »

Great stuff, Paul, that looks excellent. I've had slightly mixed results with my attempts at dot filter weathering using artist's oils and white spirit, but I'll keep practicing!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thank you guys.

Gotta love the silly putty since I could not get the tape to fit around all the bumps.
ShaunW wrote:Great stuff, Paul, that looks excellent. I've had slightly mixed results with my attempts at dot filter weathering using artist's oils and white spirit, but I'll keep practising!
Not sure if the dot filter worked for me either. I think I can see some places where it changed the base colour, sometimes too much ie around the center of the turret on the reactive armor. Looks a little too blue now. Noticed it after I put on the clear coat so no going back now. I also used Fred's technique of kitchen foil and clear blue paint for the machine gun window. The other two were too small for me to do this technique so those are just silver paint covered in clear blue. They look remarkably alike. The front headlight is just a silver decal and for some reason, the camera picked it up and made it very bright in the photos.

I am calling this one done.

Thoughts on this kit, it was a very nice build with very few hiccups. The tracks are a bit of a pain but definitely not unworkable. The fit is very good with no putty necessary for joint lines. There were a few sinkholes to take care of on the original gun barrel as well as some of the flat armor plates, but not bad at all. In fact I was too lazy to fill any of them. The stowage boxes on the side of the turret required careful glueing to get it to sit right, but again, easy to do. I think the hardest thing was to paint the camo. I fiddled with tape for too long and the silly putty was the answer. I learned quite alot on this one and was out of my comfort zone, but that's a good thing. I can honestly recommend this kit, although maybe not for those who do not like small parts because there are alot of them.

Thanks for looking.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That has turned out very nicely indeed, Paul. Indeed for masking on awkward surfaces like a tank, I find blu-tak to be easier than using masking tape. I've never used silly putty but from what I've seen of others using it I'm sure it will also work fine.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

ShaunW wrote:That has turned out very nicely indeed, Paul. Indeed for masking on awkward surfaces like a tank, I find blu-tak to be easier than using masking tape. I've never used silly putty but from what I've seen of others using it I'm sure it will also work fine.
Thanks Shaun. I tried blu-tak first but I found it was too sticky. It also seemed to leave a residue. The paint turned a little bit darker where I applied it. The silly putty was much less sticky and there was no residue. At least from what I saw. I read somewhere that white tak is better. I might try it one day but so far the silly putty did the job.

Cheers,
Paul

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

That's beautiful work, Paul. I'll have to give your method a try on one of my attempts.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by 59North »

That looks really super nice; well done on the camo. I like the small scale Revell kits. They are a favorite manufacturer in small.
iggie

Post by iggie »

The base really makes it work nicely; great job!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

I'm speechless. That turned out very nice. I might have to give one of those a try.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

I made it back to the modeling bench. I started work on the Dragon King Tiger. It comes with rubber tracks and photo-etch engine grills.
The rear grill and round center ones are from the kit. The forward ones are from mesh I found in my spare parts box cut to shape.

Some paint applied.

I purchased a metal barrel to replace the kit one. The metal barrel did not have an attachment point so I drilled out the end to place a brass pin in it so I had a solid gluing point.

Paul

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Impressive :mrgreen:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That Konigstiger is turning out very nicely. Good idea to ballast it with something heavy so it will sit on its tracks properly as well.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Very impressive Paul. Some microscopic detail work there
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thanks again for the kind words guys. I got a little further along. I painted the camouflage.

And put those dots on. Got a little overzealous with the spots. Kind of looks like a big strawberry here.

Some overall light brown to tone things down.

Time to paint some of the details. Then a gloss coat and some washes.
Cheers,
Paul

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

You've done very well with the ambush scheme 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

WOW! That is beautifully done!

Return to “Workbench Window”