Paul's Attempts

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
PGAS
Active Participant

Re: Paul's Attempts

Post by PGAS »

I decided to change things up a bit and work on something other than an aircraft. I have bought many tank models in the past and they have just sat on the shelves and gathered dust. I start off wanting to build one but after cutting a few parts out my enthusiasm quickly evaporates. Something about all the many wheels and fiddly bits. After seeing so many great builds on this site I am going to push through this block. The kit I chose was the Revell T-90 in 1/72 scale. Looks great in the box.

I keep making odd mistakes. Unlike aircraft models which I feel comfortable with and understand what the parts are, with an armour model, I keep cutting off part of the kit part thinking it is part of the sprue. Then I have to rebuild it. I must be losing brain cells as I age.

Gun on top is several parts. A little troublesome to assemble but looks good when complete.

Turret going together. So many parts! I drilled holes for plastic dowels to attach the storage boxes on the side. I found that the boxes would not glue level if I just glued them to the side of the turret. It would also add strength instead of just having an attachment point at the bottom of the boxes.

I epoxied nails to the bottom of the tank to add weight and make it feel less like a model. I guess a tank should feel heavy.

Turret completed except for fiddly bits (antennas a such). Don't want to break them off.

So far, it has been fun and a nice break from aircraft. More to come.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Liking the look of that so far!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Corricon

Post by Corricon »

I concur, looking very good.
Steve
Now a full time modeller!
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Nice work on that turret. Just yesterday, I was looking at purchasing this exact kit. I'll be very interested in your build. Looking great!

Is the reactive armor molded on the turret? Or do you add it on?
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thank you, Jim and Steve.
mjatx wrote:Nice work on that turret. Just yesterday, I was looking at purchasing this exact kit. I'll be very interested in your build. Looking great!

Is the reactive armor molded on the turret? Or do you add it on?
Thanks. The Armour is separate. They moulded in a series of blocks. You can see the bare turret and some of the reactive armour spread through the sprue here.
Paul

mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Good to know. Looks like I’ll be adding that one to the stash.

My wallet thanks you.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Impressive start.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great start, Paul and this is a good looking kit. I'm also on a break from aircraft building and have shifted to armour.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

mjatx wrote:Good to know. Looks like I’ll be adding that one to the stash.

My wallet thanks you.
Thanks. This one has been alot of fun so far. I would certainly recommend this kit.
jssel wrote:Impressive start.
Thank you Jeff.
ShaunW wrote:Great start, Paul and this is a good looking kit. I'm also on a break from aircraft building and have shifted to armour.
Thanks Shaun. The change is good for the mojo and I am learning new processes and techniques to boot.

After a layer of primer, I put on the first layer of paint on the tank. It is a mixture of Vallejo acrylics. Can't remember which colours I used as I mixed a batch that 'looked about right' in a little bottle. The only tricky part of the turret so far has been the dazzlers on the front. I cut the mounting struts thinking they were part of the sprue. I ended up using a plastic dowel drilled in the back and into the turret to solidify the part. Can't really see it that much. Just have to be more careful in the future when I cut off the parts. Slow learner! :-D

The colour looks most like the real(my model) in this shot.

I bought a metal barrel to replace the kit one. It is very nice but is missing that ridge that goes down the top of the barrel. I suppose I could have added a stip easily but I did not bother. I don't what to lose patience with my first tank. The barrel fit easily without any drilling or modification to the original mounting hole. Just a dab of epoxy on the inside.

Wheels are on and one of the track pieces is placed under to align the wheels while drying. The track is not glued to the wheels, this is only for alignment before glueing the drive gear and front wheel.

Camo coming up!

Cheers,
Paul

iggie

Post by iggie »

Good thinking about using the track to keep the wheels aligned! Coming along nicely
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great progress with this, Paul and that is a good idea using the track as an alignment tool - few things look worse on a model tank than wonky wheels!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

A bit of work on the tracks. They come as two solid pieces for each side and the instructions say to dip it in hot water and bend them to shape. I did not have any success this way. I might not have left the tracks in the hot water long enough but they would not keep a good shape around the front and back wheels. I ended up using a metal ruler and placing the ruler perpendicular to the tracks between the teeth and just bending along the individual spaces between the links. Then I rolled the tracks in my hand until they would easily bend. Just had to be real careful not to overdo this and break the track. Which I did. :oops: A little glue and all was good with the world again. When I was done, the tracks came together at the top and it was one link too long. I cut out the extra link and glued it together with epoxy. I figured it would be under the skirt and would not be seen anyways.

Top and bottom have been brought together. It is starting to look like a tank!

Camo is on.

Almost there. Next will be decals, a wash and that dot filter thing. :grin:
Paul

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very nice. I like the camo painting.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

That really looks superb..... Love the camouflage
Best wishes

Jim
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Good work Paul :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Workbench Window”