Paul's Attempts

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Paul's Attempts

Post by TobyC »

Very tidy indeed. Fantastic paintwork. Love it
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Excellent looking Emil.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thank you guys. I really have to say this Airfix kit is a real gem. It is great having the option to put the flaps up or down. I hope Airfix continues like this with future kits.

Would love to see a Jet Provost T.5 in 1/72. The new T.3 offering from Airfix is on the shelf waiting. There are some superb builds of the T.3 on this forum.
Canuck2016 wrote:Beautiful! To me, the Me-109E with the splinter camouflage is iconic, and you nailed the look perfectly. Flawless work, as always!

How did you do the antenna?
Hi Fred. Do you mean the mast or the stringy bit. The mast is just brass rod stock sanded down flat with some sand paper on a popsicle stick. Took a bit of time to get it flat but not difficult. The string is the same stuff I use for bi-plane rigging. It is elastic and stretch rigging thread from a company called Uschi van der Rosten in Europe. Great stuff.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Stunning Messerschmitt!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a great little kit and you have done a stunning job of it Paul.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thank you Marek and Shaun.

I have started work on the Zvezda 1/72 Yak-3. The Yak is, I think, a strange looking aircraft but for some reason I like it alot. It is so small though!

The kit looks very nice on the trees. There is some sink marks in the plastic on the wings where the plastic transitions from two halves around the wheel wells to on solid piece.

Not sure about the decals though. They are not old however the clear film has a yellow tinge to it. I will have to wait and see how they go on.

The pilot figure is amazing. Right off the tree, it seems to fit perfectly and has very nice detail. It even grips the control column and throttle convincingly. Too bad I can't do figures(cowardly I know! ;-) )

Not going to put too much effort into the cockpit. I just want to do a quick and simple project.

Thanks again for looking.
Paul

iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks a very nice little kit! Also, it's good to see a pilot that actually fits without having to perform multiple amputations!

The office looks great so far
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looks like a nice gentle build
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice looking kit!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice looking kit Paul. Hopefully those decals will work OK but they do look to have prematurely aged. Perhaps a little time in a sunny window might help?

IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

The model is quite nice for a snap tight kit. I am removing some of the tabs for a and gluing it.

Shaun,

I will try to put the decals in a window for a bit of sun but there has not been much sun here lately. I used the instrument panel decal and it seemed to go on without an obvious carrier film showing. The only trouble was that it did not have much stick to them. They are thin though.

The cockpit is in place. Not putting too much effort here. The toughest thing so far has been smoothing the fuselage wing joint. Although the fit is quite nice, the seam is right by the panel line and I did not want to lose that. I also messed up and sprayed paint over the joint when I painted the cockpit. You can see the green colour on the wing root here. This had to be removed before puttying but it was a bugger getting rid of. I used Vallejo acrylics and it is rubbery and does not sand well.

I also tried the Vallejo putty and I liked it for puttying seams since the extra putty can be removed with water and a q-tip but it was not good for filling sunken areas. Again like the paint it did not sand to a feathered edge like other putties.

I used tamiya putty for the wing root. A bunch of filling and sanding but I finally got most of the wing root seam.

The kit allows you to model both undercarriage up or down. I used the doors to mask off the wheel bays before priming.

Onto painting!

Cheers, :grin:
Paul

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Nice progress on the Yak, Paul! The cockpit's looking great! Good luck with the decals. I hope the sunlight trick works. Looking forward to see it painted!
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thanks Fred. Shaun made a good suggestion and they are now in the front window getting a tan.

I painted the model with Vallejo acrylic paint. The model hobby shop did not have AMT-7 for the underside, so I mixed my own with a combination of sky blue, pale blue and white. I thought the sky blue was too pure a blue so the pale blue added some green into the mix. It is not as blue as in the first picture. Truest representation is in the fourth and fifth pics here.

The top was AMT-11 blue grey and AMT-12 Dark Grey airbrushed freehand. Still working on this. I used to airbrush paintings in highschool but I find this more difficult sine the surfaces are not flat like a canvas.

You can see I never did fill in the sink marks on the top of the wing. I became frustrated with the ordeal on the wing root and underside. In reality I was just lazy! :-D

We will see how the decals work out soon!
Paul

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, quick work Paul and that is a great paint job. Hopefully the decals will bleach if you can get enough sun - TBH I would have struggled here this week although the weekend has been nice enough.

IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Shaun, minimal masking helped. The two top colours were painted in quick succession. I was considering masking the camo but again, the lazy bug bit. The only masking I did do was on the underside and luckily it did not peel up. The temperature is rising nicely here and the sun has shown up. Spring is coming! :-D
Paul

Return to “Workbench Window”