Arc's Aircraft Repository

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Arc's Aircraft Repository

Post by Arcwelder »

OK, new for 2016.. I decided that, instead of starting lots of build threads that get scattered all over due to mojo loss/slipups, I'd get a Workbench going. I tend to have multiple things on the go at any given time. The rule for this year is, however, to actually finish some of the little sods!

So, as of now, aside from GB stuff:

Revell 1/72 Fokker Dr.1 (Mannfred Von R)

This actually had the top wing on, but one of the cabanes decided to move and popped the rigging loose, so about to square it all up and fix that. Nearly done, this Red Baron.

I'm fond of all the little Revell WWI planes and this sweet wee kit is a favourite. I think I'll get the Blue Rider Jasta 11& 27 sheet to do a few more colourful examples over the year.

au sujet de Revell 1/72, here's another little Fokker, this time their DVII as a 1920 Belgian Trainer

I took delivery of the new Blue Rider "Fokker D VII in International Service" sheet today: options for 31 different aircraft (although most national Insignia/Roundels are not provided). The Blue Rider decals look nice, but, on first impression, take ages to loosen from their backing paper (warm water speeds it up), are good and robust to handle and adhere brilliantly to a Klear treated surface. They're not as opaque as I'd like but in register. They look bobbly because Decalfix is doing its thang right now. There's some very nifty Polish & Russian schemes that I'll be building soon (anything better than building G**ring's plane!)

Tail stripes not provided, so being painted on. Again, nice little kit, if a flash-monster and possessing some ejector pin marks in very obvious places.

Pegasus Phönix D.I on the go for a while.. had some issues with the Sworl decals from FCM not lying down properly, despite copious amounts of Klear and/or Decalfix, but part of that is likely my fault for using too large sections at once. It's a Pegasus kit: basic, ill-fitting and requires a fair bit of work. But I kind of like it. Markings are spurious as it came without decals.

Airfix Albatros D.V. (DNF from the DD GB)

This one is so close to being done its engine is starting to turn over. Look for this to be completed in the next couple of days.

Finally, just started today, is the Revell SE.5a in 1/72. This is one of the best of the old Revell kits and I was inspired by Toby's great build of the Smer 1/48 to get it underway. Scheme is under wraps for now, but it's going to be slightly unusual.

Thanks for looking, more soon!

PS: This is my new workspace after moving in with SWMBO.. my old days of having aircraft/paints/styrene strewn everywhere are gone! Efficiency must become the watchword!

Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
iggie

Re: Arc's Aircraft Repository

Post by iggie »

Just goes to show Arc; you've gotta watch them little Fokkers..... :shock: :shock:
(in my best Stan Boardman accent of course!)

And at last, some one who has a smaller bench than me! God knows what I'll do for the large scale aircraft GB, a 1/24 Spit will be hanging off both sides!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Lots of great bipes being built - great stuff.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Great work Arc. Do you post on http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php; ? If not you should. Thanks for the nod btw.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

TobyC wrote:Great work Arc. Do you post on http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php; ? If not you should. Thanks for the nod btw.
I don't but I should and will.. generally I head over there just to gape in awe at whatever masterpiece Des is turning out at the moment!

TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Arcwelder wrote:
TobyC wrote:Great work Arc. Do you post on http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php; ? If not you should. Thanks for the nod btw.
I don't but I should and will.. generally I head over there just to gape in awe at whatever masterpiece Des is turning out at the moment!
It's very impressive what they do over there. I find it an ispiration
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Struts & engine in place. Because I'm not using guns I had to fill and smooth out the large void fore of the cockpit with PPP. It's passable and won't be particularly visible anyway.

The one tricky part of this build is going to be the cabane struts and supports, which come in six parts. definitely going to be easier to line them all up with the upper wing fixed on, so that's what I've done.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I don't do WWI myself but this is indeed interesting to see.
Keep it up!

David
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

You've certainly got your Great War kite game on now! Well done.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Thanks, all...the D VII almost feels like cheating: there's next to no rigging involved! The SE5a will make up for that, though..

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

I should imagine. I have several biplanes (and a Dr.I!) that I have put off the labourious task of rigging for a number of years now. Rigging them and many others to come with guitar string lengths
and bits of thinned sprue occupy at least some of my nightmares.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Those reasonably complex cabane struts are on.. after a 20 minute search for one that went PING!

Rudder has been painted, decaled & attached..

REVEAL! The SE5a is a Saffa from 1921. Decals by Blue Rider. Boy, do they have a lot of extraneous film. Still some trimming ahead of this one.

Scratch built an Aldis Sight from Evergreen rod (couldn't let Toby show me up! :ha: )

Guess OT will like this one, hey?

Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

D VII is done.. glamour shots in the aviation thread..

Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Fixed the upside-down nose on the D VII (what was I thinking?)

And have the rigging on the SE5 all threaded and ready for some glue..

I also have to fill those holes at the fore of the wing.. turns out the double flying wires go out to the undercarriage struts.. mea culpa.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Good luck with the rigging; what are you using?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Workbench Window”