59North's Modelling Emporium

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: 59North's Modelling Emporium

Post by Stuart »

Ouch! I've also come foul of tiredness and the rattlecan - tis not funny.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

It's a shame but it can be stripped back and repainted. On the bright side the Spitfire looks terrific so far and I really like the way you present it. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

That is such a shame after your excellent masking of those curves; I hope you are able to recover some of it's former glory even though I'm sure your Grandson won't mind at all if you don't! :grin:
Am I right in thinking those colours were used for the Gulf Oil sponsored cars?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh that is a shame and I've been there myself. Best to walk away from it for a while and return to the project once the disappointment has subsided and you can begin to think about a re-paint. I'm sure the paint is repairable, but you need to be in the right frame of mind. Otherwise, I'm sure your grandson will appreciate it, the GT40 is a timeless classic!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
59North

Post by 59North »

Thanks for the comments, fellas.
iggie wrote: Am I right in thinking those colours were used for the Gulf Oil sponsored cars?
Yep, it was going to be the Gulf sponsored #10 of 1967 LeMans race. Still will be; just not as pretty!
Dazzled wrote:It's a shame but it can be stripped back and repainted.
Right now, I don't think there's a chance in Hades that's going to happen.
I've just placed the body onto the chassis, and will set it aside until I feel better about it. She's sitting on a shelf, waiting for my solution.

It does look kinda pretty! 8-) Too pretty to bin :shock:

Anyway, I do have another; the 1966. This one has the sweeter, meaner body style. For another day, now that I'm familiar with the kit.

For now, it's on with the Spitfire! :twisted:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The GT40 is a stunner that's for sure and, IMHO, looks as good as anything produced by the Italians at the time.

IPMS#12300
59North

Post by 59North »

Wow! I've not updated here since April. Summer set in! :bounce:

The Spitfire was placed back in it's box until winter modelling season comes, and the GT-40 survived long enough to instill a modelling bug into both grandson and grand-daughter.
I've still checked in almost daily, and I have been messing with a small Ki-44 when time permits. But, there is that mojo thing that seems to be nagging at me, especially with all the great ship models being built here in the forum.

Some recent mild web interaction with another member has ebbed my interest in trying a first ship. I'm not the type to mention names, but, this fellow has unintentionally given me a 'splash' of inspiration.

So, today I made a mock-up to guide me in a direction. I took a spruce plank and cut and stained it. Then I cut a couple of spent 7mm Rem.mag shells down to size. Everything is just sitting on top of each other, but, I hope to complete a decent looking base for a first, small destroyer. Its making sense to me to do the base first, then the hull, and then have a mounted hull to complete the superstructure on:

Anyway, summer is still here so everything will have to be played by ear. The rainy days, I suppose, like is coming my way for tomorrow. See you soon :grin:
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great looking base. Good luck with your ship build.

Nigel
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Great work on the Spitfire, and the ship stand looks very professional!

...and sorry about the disaster that befell the GT-40...

Cheers,
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That base looks brilliant, the cut down cartridges look spot on.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
59North

Post by 59North »

Appreciate the comments, guys; thank-you.

I've gone over the kit instructions, and quickly realized I wouldn't be following the suggested sequence. Partly because adding all the small detail before paint just isn't my way, and also, I've got a-hold of some extra PE. So, this is going to be a basic test fit and paint before glue build in a sequence that I'll feel good about. Anyway, I have removed some parts from the sprue, and begun to play with them:

Firstly, I'm trying to find an accurate line drawing of the Huron. Not much luck in that. The web is only spilling out a few photo's for reference. This kit is basically a rebox of Trumpeter's HMS Eskimo, with only one alternate sprue to give the Huron's lone 4" gun in place of the 4.7" gun. Other than that, the sprue's are identical.
Both Eskimo and Huron were Tribal Class, but, the hull's were slightly different. Noticeably, Huron had fewer portholes on the hull's sides, and by quite a few. I don't know which ones yet, but, lots of these portholes will have to be filled on both sides:

I'm going to use the blind-nut system to attach the hull to my base. The 6/32 blind nuts will be epoxied into the hull's interior using the strongest epoxy I've ever used. Then I'll be able to screw through the bases bottom, and install or remove the ship model at will:

Finally, I purchased this small 16"x22" rubber-backed, anti-skid floor mat. I intend to cut it up accordingly, and use it as a final on the bottom of my base. This is experimental:

Thanks for looking. Later
59North

Post by 59North »

I installed the blind-nuts into the inner hull. Spare 6/32 bolts with well jellied threads were then run through. The jelly ensures I'll get the small bolts out after the blind-nuts are epoxied in.

Then the 2-part epoxy was mixed and a liberal amount wicked onto the blind-nuts. JB Weld takes 24hrs to set, so I'll let it sit and work on the base rug mat bottom. Hopefully, those bolts will come out tomorrow.

59North

Post by 59North »

The blind-nuts came out fairly flush:

A little filler and some sanding is all they require:

There's a slight port list noticeable when the hull is mounted, so I'll have to adjust holes in the base:

All-in-all, I think the base looks fairly good - for a hillbilly.

Some slight adjustments, one more coat of Varathane, and I'm moving on to the next steps.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow, that is a great looking base for the destroyer 59, very nicely done indeed.

IPMS#12300
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Great work!

Cheers,
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!

Return to “Workbench Window”